Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Bountygate Punishments: Players

They can still gig fujita for breach of contract, to justify his suspension.
    Can they? Did the old CBA contain language giving the league a say over personal conduct clauses contained in contracts between its teams and their players? I have no clue if they did or did not.

They suspended the guys they had dead to rights. And as much as we all would love to see all the cards NOW, we won't. Smart move by the league. No need to give the defense evidence they don't have to early.
    I disagree with the strategy. It makes the league's position look disingenuous. It looks like they suspended guys without specifically telling them why they were being sat down. Think about real prosecutions. When the prosecutors have a guy dead to rights - be it DNA or video of the crime or some other inescapable proof - they carpet bomb the media with it to make sure the scumbag is toast before they even conduct voir dire.

I'm certain most of us believe oj did it.
    A good read if you want to know how truly poor a job the state did and how excellent OJ's defense was: Vincent Bugliosi, the man who successfully prosecuted Charles Manson wrote a book called Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away With Murder.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Can they? Did the old CBA contain language giving the league a say over personal conduct clauses contained in contracts between its teams and their players? I have no clue if they did or did not.

I disagree with the strategy. It makes the league's position look disingenuous. It looks like they suspended guys without specifically telling them why they were being sat down. Think about real prosecutions. When the prosecutors have a guy dead to rights - be it DNA or video of the crime or some other inescapable proof - they carpet bomb the media with it to make sure the scumbag is toast before they even conduct voir dire.

A good read if you want to know how truly poor a job the state did and how excellent OJ's defense was: Vincent Bugliosi, the man who successfully prosecuted Charles Manson wrote a book called Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away With Murder.
    the previous cba afforded GODell the same power. I'll refer you to big Ben. No proof, no arrest, no prosecution. He may be a royal d bag, but he never was arrested or charged, but got suspended.

The previous cba also contained similar language to pay for play as this one. That's where breach of contract comes into play. It's categorized as an on field issue. Hence why were where we are in the matter.

You may disagree with the way the league has passed out their evidence, but its all within their rights.

After reading the link you posted about the oj case would you disagree, that giving them less is more? I'm certain the laws of evidentiary discovery played a large part in oj's trial. It's only a piece of that fd up puzzle, but it plays a part. Why not restrict what the defense knows till 3 days before the hearing? It's what any intelligent prosecutor would do. And the cba allows it..
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    I Still Love My Saints but One Year for Vilma Is Rough. I would've thought maybe 10 games at the most. I was listening to Sirius XM NFL Radio & they made the good point of making clear that this was about what transpired off the field with Vilma's $10K & support. Shady lines there because this could comeback to haunt the NFL someway----like say the Next CBA.

Also, this is Another Example of Don't Lie To Roger Goodell! When you do & Roger gets his hands on the situation, the outcome will result in something like this. The First Instance was Mike Vick a few seasons ago. A Comeback/Second Chance is possible but You'll feel the sting of his disappointment.

Remember, this is a Man who served in the NFL when Alvin "Pete" Rozelle & Paul Taglibue were there. He's seen a lot & wants to change a lot. P.S. I truly think the names Alvin & Tagliabue are cool. LOL! For Real, Though.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Blog Entries
    Did anybody else see where Cris Carter talked about bounties today?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-his-career/

Says he put "change" on their head if he thought they were trying to take him out.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Just confirms what's been obvious. The League is misrepresenting what evidence it has in order to make examples of any players it can. This explains why the League waited so long to punish the players, why only 4 of 27 have been punished and why the whole thing is a big, fat mess. Goodell overreached and with luck, he'll get his hand spanked for it. I'm all for disciplining players who are caught doing the wrong thing.

But I have a bit of a problem with Soviet-style kangaroo courts.
    Last edited by wxwax; 05-08-2012 at 11:14 PM.

I wish more retired players would just open up about bounties. Stories about cash payments between players in exchange for targeting certain opponents have been whispered about for as long as I can remember. When Jerry Ball played for the Lions he used to complain all the time that opposing offensive linemen were targeting his knees and that he thought they were doing so in exchange for extra, off-the-books cash. This was 20 years ago. Just get it out there so all the whining, crying, ninnies in the media realize that the Saints are being crucified for something that has long been part of the game.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.