Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: 2012 Draft Review (AFC North)

1. Article: 2012 Draft Review (AFC North)

The Ravens and Steelers were very good as usual. Colbert keeps building the trenches and Newsome was brilliant as always. I'm going to keep an eye on Toney Clemons because the Steelers seem to have a knack for finding late round gems at receiver.

The Bengals are really surprising. Two absolutely stellar drafts in a row. Is Mike Brown still the GM? They got 1st round talent at OG, DT, WR and DB all in one draft.

And last... the Browns. Umm, yeah. Mike Holmgren proved he was a great coach but a poor GM in Seattle. He continues the trend in Cleveland. I will say that Billy Winn in the 6th might end up being a major steal though.

The AFC North is going to be interesting this year.

Blog Entries
    I'm biased here, but I think the Bengals nailed it. I was rooting for Jones in the 3rd or 4th round and Charles was at one point Mayocks top TE in the draft. Getting Still in round 2 was a steal as well. I also think Zeitler+Thompson (who was the extra pick for trading down) is better than DeCastro alone. The Steelers also had a really good draft, addressing their biggest issue-OL. Baltimore did OK, but I'm not an Upshaw fan. He's not a pass rusher at this point. You know my thoughts on Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    The Ravens and Steelers were very good as usual. Colbert keeps building the trenches and Newsome was brilliant as always. I'm going to keep an eye on Toney Clemons because the Steelers seem to have a knack for finding late round gems at receiver.

The Bengals are really surprising. Two absolutely stellar drafts in a row. Is Mike Brown still the GM? They got 1st round talent at OG, DT, WR and DB all in one draft.

And last... the Browns. Umm, yeah. Mike Holmgren proved he was a great coach but a poor GM in Seattle. He continues the trend in Cleveland. I will say that Billy Winn in the 6th might end up being a major steal though.

The AFC North is going to be interesting this year.

Clem, this isn't to pick on you, but I've seen that falsely said far too many times in the past week. Too many are forgetting that the Bengals have 2 pro bowlers from their 2010 class in Jermaine Gresham and Geno Atkins to go along with Carlos Dunlap and Jordan Shipley. It's very arguable that the 2010 class is and will be better than the 2011 class with Green and Dalton.

Further, don't write off the 2009 Bengals draft class of Andre Smith (coming off a very good year), Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Bernard Scott and Kevin Huber.

5. It was interesting to see Ozzie trade out of the first round as soon as the Bengals took Zeitler. That was who he wanted to fill the guard spot vacated by Grubbs, or help at center as Birk is on the back nine. Marvin Lewis has been in the draft room and been part of draft preparation in Pittsburgh and Baltimore during his coaching career. He brought a lot of those philosophies and way of doing things draft related to Cincinnati. Three solid drafts in a row for the Bengals. Pittsburgh and Baltimore always do a great job with their drafts. This year was no exception. Cleveland seems to still be lagging behind a little bit, but Richardson will make a big impact on the division. If Weeden pays early dividends, it would be a nice draft for the Browns as well. The AFCNorth will be a dogfight again.

Blog Entries
    The AFC North gets it. I Love how all teams drafted in that Division. People weren't happy about the Browns taking 28 year old Brandon Weeden nor the fact that they took a WR later in the draft than they should have but I liked what they did. They had their OLine/QB/WR & Defense addressed. They did fine to me. Weeden will start Day One; Shurmer said on Sirius XM NFL Radio about how there will be competition with the QBs but trust me. Weeden will start Day One.

The Steelers got Buckeye Guy Mike Adams. Despite Mike's failed drug test [coupled with terrible choice making skills], this will prove a successful pick. Mike is there with an organization that knows how to handle these things. Despit the James Harrison issues & Santonio Holmes matters, I think the Steelers have guys that are All In & will be there for the right reasons. If not, they will be shipped off Sunday Night like Santonio was. Overall, I think they drafted accordingly; I like it. Steelers D will remain their trademark.

The Bengals drafted well with their picks & people are impressed with Mike Brown & Marvin Lewis this draft season. The last two seasons of drafting have been successful & they should be poised to win a playoff game in 2012 [2013 when they kick it in JAN, but you get it.]. The AFC North is about solid Defensive play & you gotta have a rotation & reloading of the positions & CIN has that. Why take a CB with the first overall pick? Because you have Torrey Smith & Antonio Brown there to makes things more difficult. The Bengals did their work with a DT & Free Safety with their picks. They are gonna be fun to watch especially with their first SNF game since the preseason game back about 2006 when Al was still working with John Madden.

The Ravens are going to show they have talent & can compete in the AFC North let alone the entire AFC. Can they win with Joe Flacco? Well, that's another thread. As for this NFL Draft, I like the way Ozzie Newsome did his work. Let's start on offense. They drafted a WR despite having Torrey Smith & trusty Anquan Boldin. However, when Anquan's time is done, they will have a reload. I like it. Also, they got a RB with their 3rd pick. You could argue that's a high pick for them but yet Ray Rice's contract is like Mike Wallace's [both play in the AFC North]; Gotta be ready for anything. Also, what if Ray has a season like Chris Johnson did with my Titans after he got his money? C.J. is the Man but dropped off the map in 2011. Again, gotta be ready. C.J. may have hurt Ray's chances for the bigger money & the Parcells philosophy of "The Running Back is a Disposable Position" might be too. Also, Signatures on D with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed &, the recently injured and appears to be out at least slightly over half the season, Terrell Suggs. These Men are skilled & true to their Craft. However, they all are likely to be gone within the next three years. Ravens get it. You prepare today for what will happen, literally, now. Plus, they could use their players on D on a rotation to have look changes & to use certain guys are "closers" during 3rd down conversions & Red Zone plays.

I just see the whole AFC North focused on their team's needs & responding to how the division commands that they play.

The afc north is the toughest division in football. This draft further solidified that fact.

I hate to say it, but in 2 years this is a cincy vs Pittsburgh dogfight for the division. Until Baltimore moves on from flacco, I'm not buying their kool aid. Especially with their best defensive player about to miss the season (I don't care he says he's going to play, medical science points to the lengthy recovery process from an Achilles tear) and ray ray and reed are on borrowed time.

Cincy got a haul. Marv may completely suck at game day in game decisions, as it applies to challenges and clock management, but he's awesome at finding players in the draft. Looks like he learned a thing or two working for 2 of the best franchises at drafting players previous. Hopefully he also sticks to his conservative game planning.

I've not been as happy about any Pittsburgh draft in recent history, as this one. Our most glaring hole, guard (we sucked so bad at guard we had 2 guys who were udfa starting for us last year) we got the best guard in the draft, by luck. He fell to us. Our front office never imagined once he would be there. It's why we turned in our draft card in under a minute.

Then we got puff the magic liar in the second. His misdeeds cost him, because he was a first round talent. Fortunately he begged our front office to be put back on our board. They gave him stipulations, and things he had to do to do so. He did them with flying colors. Hopefully he continues to do so. In Kevin colbert I trust...

Then we got our nt in Ta'amu in the 4th, when most had him going in the 2nd..

Our junk o line might be a top half unit this year, maybe better..

I can't wait for games.. I know this: the afcn divisional games will be epic. Hide the women and children, because its going to be brutally physical.

As clem alluded to, the steelers are pretty damn good at finding receivers late. I'd venture to say clemons has a shot at making the roster based on his special teams play. The 5th wr spot is wide open, and there for someone to win. The local Pittsburgh kid has a shot...
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 05-07-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    The afc north is the toughest division in football. This draft further solidified that fact.

I hate to say it, but in 2 years this is a cincy vs Pittsburgh dogfight for the division. Until Baltimore moves on from flacco, I'm not buying their kool aid. Especially with their best defensive player about to miss the season (I don't care he says he's going to play, medical science points to the lengthy recovery process from an Achilles tear) and ray ray and reed are on borrowed time.

Cincy got a haul. Marv may completely suck at game day in game decisions, as it applies to challenges and clock management, but he's awesome at finding players in the draft. Looks like he learned a thing or two working for 2 of the best franchises at drafting players previous. Hopefully he also sticks to his conservative game planning.

I've not been as happy about any Pittsburgh draft in recent history, as this one. Our most glaring hole, guard (we sucked so bad at guard we had 2 guys who were udfa starting for us last year) we got the best guard in the draft, by luck. He fell to us. Our front office never imagined once he would be there. It's why we turned in our draft card in under a minute.

Then we got puff the magic liar in the second. His misdeeds cost him, because he was a first round talent. Fortunately he begged our front office to be put back on our board. They gave him stipulations, and things he had to do to do so. He did them with flying colors. Hopefully he continues to do so. In Kevin colbert I trust...

Then we got our nt in Ta'amu in the 4th, when most had him going in the 2nd..

Our junk o line might be a top half unit this year, maybe better..

I can't wait for games.. I know this: the afcn divisional games will be epic. Hide the women and children, because its going to be brutally physical.

As clem alluded to, the steelers are pretty damn good at finding receivers late. I'd venture to say clemons has a shot at making the roster based on his special teams play. The 5th wr spot is wide open, and there for someone to win. The local Pittsburgh kid has a shot...

the challenges had more to do with his advisors in the booth, than him. Particularly on the road where you don't get the benefit of in-stadium replay, HC's have to rely on someone in the booth advising them to challenge or not. Marvin's challenge advisor just left for a new job, so we'll see how much his challenge decisions improve.

Blog Entries
    I think this division nailed it. I like the Cleveland draft, and particularly the Weeden risk more than most.

Coming out of the draft, I thought it was clear that David DeCastro was the most important draft pick regarding how well he immediately transfers his game to the NFL. But considering the circumstances over the last week, suddenly the most important pick in this division for this seasonhas become Courtney Upshaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    I think this division nailed it. I like the Cleveland draft, and particularly the Weeden risk more than most.

Coming out of the draft, I thought it was clear that David DeCastro was the most important draft pick regarding how well he immediately transfers his game to the NFL. But considering the circumstances over the last week, suddenly the most important pick in this division for this seasonhas become Courtney Upshaw.

yes and no. Upshaw was slated to start whether Suggs had gotten injured or not.

IMO Decastro and Zeitler have the biggest immediate impacts on their team. Also Richardson, but I'm not sure the Browns have enough on offense to keep teams from stacking the box on him.