Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: 2012 Draft Review (AFC South)

1. Article: 2012 Draft Review (AFC South)

Blog Entries
    Well, you can't talk AFC South without mentioning the selection of a punter in the third round by Jacksonville. They only had 6 picks, so this ruined an otherwise decent draft for me. Indy added some nice pieces around Luck, including Fleener, who Luck is comfortable with. I really liked Houston's draft a lot, with some o-line help and a couple of receivers. I thought Crick was a good value.

Punting is a huge part of the Jags' offense so I can sort of see the Anger pick.

The Texans' non-draft moves really mystified me. Not Mario - he didn't really fit Wade's 3-4 - but Winston and Ryans. They dropped the right side of a good OL and traded away a team leader. It looked to me like a bad team rebuilding rather than a playoff team adding pieces.

Blog Entries
    Did anyone else notice this? http://www.theonion.com/articles/jac...er-i-wi,28088/

Some highlights:

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Anger via The Onion View Post
    Anger also promised fans that, as their punter—and therefore the leader of the punt team—he would be the very model of a Jacksonville Jaguar, adding that they should "get used to me, because they're going to be hearing the name Bryan Anger all the time in years to come."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mularkey, sounds legit View Post
    You look at how a lot of teams these days are built around a high-powered passing game, and you look at [Jaguars quarterback Blaine] Gabbert, and you realize how important it is for us to have a great punter in our arsenal. After all, we punted third-most of any team in the league last year, so it's about time we started getting good at it. In fact, at this point, we may as well just resign ourselves to building our entire team concept around the idea of pinning other teams deep with a really good punt.

The one thing I did like about the Blackmon pick is it gives Gabbert a talent, therefore if he fails this season there is no excuse and the new coaching regime can jetison him after this season. If he works well, you have skill positions to build with. always have to be thinking ahead.

Blackmon = Crabtree 2.0

He already has the "ow! my foot!" maneuver down pat.

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    Blackmon = Crabtree 2.0

He already has the "ow! my foot!" maneuver down pat.
    With a worse qb, nonetheless!! Angerer may see 50% as many snaps as mjd this year! South jack high's offense was putrid last year, and the draft wasn't spectacular. Crabtree 2.0 doesn't help you even a little when your shell shocked qb is running around totally confused, getting the snot knocked out of himself continually.

{If Angerer can perfect the coffin corner kick, and the d forces some turnovers picking him the 3rd will be brilliant}
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

I like that Indy got luck, and gave him a security blanket in his good buddy fleener, but using 7 of 10 picks on offensive skill players seems silly, given their situation.

Their line was horrible last year. Can't run block, can't pass block. And the new oc is a master of getting his qb sacked.

Then the switch to the 3-4. A scheme that requires a much bigger front 7 than they currently have. A scheme that doesn't exactly highlight what their 2 highest paid defensive players do best. Neither de that will be converted to olb has any experience standing up, or turning and dropping.

This was a finesse, speedy defense. Neither if those things can be said about a 3-4 defense. Most of their previous starting front 7 don't make the grade at their new position. There's a steep learning curve to switch to a 2 gap system. It's why rookies rarely start on Pittsburghs front 7. Indy only picked one guy that can realistically help them there, Chapman, and he's coming off an injury.

Rookie qb, new coaching staff, switch to 3-4 defense without the guys to properly execute the scheme??

Looks to me Indy and south jack high will be in a suck contest for the rights to the first pick next year.

Blog Entries
    The Texans drafted well despite waiting to take a DE late in the Draft. I think when you have one of your top players leave, you should fill that need sooner in the Draft if not through FA. I trust that they will be able to do well since we saw how they succeed with the Wade Phillips Defensive Plan. They picked up three OLineman, which is Good. Somewhere David Carr is doing a facepalm; LOL! JK, JK. I do agree that Carr's decision making was part of the issue while he was there, but it sounded funny & had to share; LOL!

My Colts are doing a mass dynamo on their team. They have a number of key front office & roster changes that are all at once. Its a necessary evil. They have a number of folks who aged & others who just didn't get the job done like Caldwell &, to many people's shock to have it said, Bill Polian. I sense that Polian had draft classes & free agency moves that Irsay was against longer than any of us knew. I agree that Polian, who I respect Very, Very Much, relied to much on Peyton & didn't seek a viable QB. We could go on about the unpromising Curtis Painter & Jim Sorgi replacement jobs. They drafted well but this thing will likely look oogly for the first two-three years. I HOPE that this can be like the Cowboys from the early 90s. HOPE is the key word; LOL!

I got this feeling that the Jaguars are going to struggle and not be one of the Top Two teams in the AFC South in 2012. They are rebuilding the last two seasons with a new QB & a new Head Coach. They picked up a Punter in the third round to spice things up a bit; LOL! Their draft was C grade; that's what my gut tells me. Mike Mularkey has this one more shot. I wonder how he's grown as a leader since he was fired from BUF. I've heard that Romeo Crennel sounded more mature as the KC HC [LOL!; love the initials] when reporters talked with him around the time of the combine. We'll see if Mike has matured himself.

The Titans did a decent job drafting. Like JAC's, it doesn't jump out at me & feels like a C grade but they have Good Players there & they likely will have Matt Hasselbeck back. I think that will be fine but we know the Jake Locker's time will come sooner than later. Chris Johnson HAS to rebound quick in 2012 to show his true value. As funny as it sounds, the Titans have the opportunity to compete with the Texans for the AFC South crown. This could very well happen because of the talent showing up at its promising & fledgling self & not just because the Colts & Jaguars are having numerous challenges.

P.S. Three AFC South Teams, 75% of the division, have new head coaches in the last two seasons!! Whoa. LOL!

10. Whitney Mercilus could be rookie of the year. Wade Phillips always has pass rushers who are near the top in sacks. I thought Mercilus was the best pass rusher in the draft. If Schaub, Foster, and Johnson stay healthy for once, the Texans could be Super Bowl Camps. They almost beat the Ravens with a 3rd string QB.