Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer

Soccer

Hell, might as well start a soccer thread, now that the season is over.

The US is playing Scotland in a friendly. And for the first time, I can see Jurgen Klinsmann's influence. He wants them to move the ball out of the back and pass their way up the field.

Scotland's not a good team, granted. But the US is really moving the ball smartly and looking very fluid with their passing. That's a pleasant sight. Michael Bradley's goal was world class, just fantastic.

Bigger foes lie ahead. And bigger tests for the backline, always a question mark for this team.

ESPN Classic Canada reran the 1992 European Championship Final last night - tastefully edited into a one hour slot.

Last week, Chelsea won a game where they were inundated... the '92 game could have been the template. In goal, Schmeichel was outstanding, and both Danish goals came on counter attacks against the run of play.

I know, I should have been watching the Celtics-76ers game 7, but compared to an epic soccer match - even one that was played 20 years ago - lumbering eastern division basketball is just not all that exciting.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Need a Euro 2012 pool.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

I'll take Germany.

Mentioned that a psychic flash told me to take Netherlands.

By the way, my psychic flashes have cost me a lot of money through the years.

My dark horse is France. They looked really good last time I saw them play. Beautiful, attacking soccer.

USA plays Brazil in a friendly on Wednesday at FedEx Field. ESPN2, I think. Great tickets sales; 55,000 so far and counting. Rare for the US men to be such a draw. They had a raucous 40,000+ in Jax, too.

USA Women looking strong, just beat China 4-1 in a pre-Olympic friendly. Hottie striker Alex Morgan got two.

Blog Entries
    I will represent the Spanish Faction.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    I will represent the Spanish Faction.
    In a statement of solidarity with my fellow food-freak and member of the International Pork Mafia, I take Spain.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Betting on sports is legal in England. As late as the beginning of extra-time in the Champions League final, it was still possible to find odds of 5/1 on Chelsea to win it.

I wonder what the odds are on Spain? I don't think it's possible to bet against a team to win a tourny, but if it were, I'd bet against Spain, for reasons I gave earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Betting on sports is legal in England. As late as the beginning of extra-time in the Champions League final, it was still possible to find odds of 5/1 on Chelsea to win it.

I wonder what the odds are on Spain? I don't think it's possible to bet against a team to win a tourny, but if it were, I'd bet against Spain, for reasons I gave earlier.
    From paddypower.com

Spain 5/2 Portugal 18/1 Czech Republic 66/1 Germany 3/1 Russia 22/1 Ireland 80/1 Holland 7/1 Croatia 40/1 Denmark 80/1 England 12/1 Ukraine 50/1 Greece 80/1 France 12/1 Poland 50/1