Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Article: Concussion Article is Breathtaking

I would think there's a statue of limitations on team doctors of yesteryear being told to clear players. The doctors are dead or near dead. They better depose the remaining living ones before they croak.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Swami View Post
    This is a huge issue that is not only not going away but will only grow. The evidence is totally damning. And, while the CPD story is good, I didn't really see anything new in it.

I do think the league and game can survive and it appears Goodell had an epiphany in 2009. Since then, they have been open-minded and moving in the right direction. Maybe they're only 10% of the way there but each step seems to be a positive.

I would love to believe that one of those padded-helmets would be a true solution. It's likely going to take significant rules changes as well, though. And I found the "no football until 14" take interesting. The biggest question, to me, is where the NFL's going to get its future players from.

But, for me, as much as I agree with ScottDCP, there's no "if": Go Bills!
    I didn't let my boys play tackle football until they were 10. I didn't believe in 6,7,8,9 year old boys playing tackle back then or today. I would now push that age to 12 years old or 6th grade (whichever comes first) and have weight limits/groups. Up until that age, kids could play flag football. Flag football would still give kids a learning experience, while being taught the game of football. I would vote to get rid of little league tackle football all together until the age of 12. I would also like to see more padding put into the helmets of all football players. I currently have a son playing high school football, he absolutely loves the game. I wouldn't take that away from him, what I do, is make him aware of the concussion issue. If he wants to stop playing because of the fear ... good for him, if he wants to continue playing because of his passion for it ... good for him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    I would think there's a statue of limitations on team doctors of yesteryear being told to clear players. The doctors are dead or near dead. They better depose the remaining living ones before they croak.
    No idea about a statute of limitations on medical malpractice. Also no idea why you,d think the described behavior had been eradicated, given the evidence suggesting otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Swami View Post
    This is a huge issue that is not only not going away but will only grow. The evidence is totally damning. And, while the CPD story is good, I didn't really see anything new in it.
    I agree the article does not offer a whole lot by way of new information. However, it does do the best job yet of weaving into a discernible timeline the major events regarding concussion studies & legislation.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
    No idea about a statute of limitations on medical malpractice. Also no idea why you,d think the described behavior had been eradicated, given the evidence suggesting otherwise.
    Yeah, internet and finesse of meaning don't work well.

My pint was that players are young, doctors are old. Therefore, old players = dead doctors.

McCoy wasn't a doctor's decision, was he?

Quote Originally Posted by Turk Schonert View Post
    I didn't let my boys play tackle football until they were 10. I didn't believe in 6,7,8,9 year old boys playing tackle back then or today. I would now push that age to 12 years old or 6th grade (whichever comes first) and have weight limits/groups.
    I agree completely with not allowing contact sports for children younger than 12.

On another point, I don't believe the concussion issue will damage the NFL (other than the legal cases, that is.) Fans don't really care. Some families may decide to not let their kids play. But rich kids don't make up the majority of NFL rosters. Poorer kids will likely still see the NFL as a way to make good money and will chase that dream.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    I agree completely with not allowing contact sports for children younger than 12.

On another point, I don't believe the concussion issue will damage the NFL (other than the legal cases, that is.) Fans don't really care. Some families may decide to not let their kids play. But rich kids don't make up the majority of NFL rosters. Poorer kids will likely still see the NFL as a way to make good money and will chase that dream.
    While the age restriction sounds like a step in the right direction, I believe it still doesn't solve anything. Once a child reaches 12, he gets to put on the armor, and he gets to hit and be hit. The brain is still developing and is still at the same level of risk.
    Youth football should be changed to flag football. The fundamentals are the same, excluding the tackles. Everyone can have fun and the only injury would be the dreaded scraped knee. Once a child gets to the high school level, there should be a required "football safety" classes during the summer. Similar to courses for driving and for hunting licenses.

I also believe HS coaches should be certified by the scholastic athletics organization that governs them.

When it comes to rich kid vs poor kids, that argument is nothing but hot wind. A poor kid that applies himself in his studies can get an opportunity for college and a better life. 9 out of 10 poor kids that pin their hopes on an NFL contract end up with nothing. They get no sympathy from me.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

@Curtis solid ideas. And upon doing more research, tackle football might be better if it begins in hs, based on the fragile nature of the developing adolescent brain.

Holding back a few years would be helpful, but the human brain isn't fully matured until its around 25, that's a second pro contract or close for many football players.

Every bit helps, and starting contact at 13-14 would be a good building block to lessen later life issues. My devils advocate question is this: how does it affect what we see on the field?

Is tackling even sloppier than we see today compared to 10 years ago? How far do we push the flags? Till brain maturity? How does that change as we get more scientific studies?

I'm in no way challenging anything you've said. I think all the points you made are solid, just questioning the next steps after we get to the threshold levels you suggested.

Here's a pretty good article that speaks to the human brain:

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...-Research.aspx

It also makes why 80% of pro football players are broke within 5 years of leaving the league make sense. The hits affected the parts of the brain that control key aspects of properly using your $$.

Totally agreed rich kid vs poor kid is an awful diving line. Kids play because they love to play, not because they are trying to hit the "big times". Anyone expecting to parlay that into a big contract is a fool, and wasted a college scholarship. 10 years of college players, over 10k guys in a single year conglomerate to under 2k pro guys total given that conglomeration. Very low chance of being pro, even if you're a good college player.

And remember, lots of the "rich kids" will have parents who built their own fortunes and don't have a silver spoon mentality. The poor kids may dream more, but they all do it because they love it.
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 05-31-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    @Curtis solid ideas. And upon doing more research, tackle football might be better if it begins in hs, based on the fragile nature of the developing adolescent brain.

Holding back a few years would be helpful, but the human brain isn't fully matured until its around 25, that's a second pro contract or close for many football players.

Every bit helps, and starting contact at 13-14 would be a good building block to lessen later life issues. My devils advocate question is this: how does it affect what we see on the field?

Is tackling even sloppier than we see today compared to 10 years ago? How far do we push the flags? Till brain maturity? How does that change as we get more scientific studies?

I'm in no way challenging anything you've said. I think all the points you made are solid, just questioning the next steps after we get to the threshold levels you suggested.

Here's a pretty good article that speaks to the human brain:

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...-Research.aspx

It also makes why 80% of pro football players are broke within 5 years of leaving the league make sense. The hits affected the parts of the brain that control key aspects of properly using your $$.

Totally agreed rich kid vs poor kid is an awful diving line. Kids play because they love to play, not because they are trying to hit the "big times". Anyone expecting to parlay that into a big contract is a fool, and wasted a college scholarship. 10 years of college players, over 10k guys in a single year conglomerate to under 2k pro guys total given that conglomeration. Very low chance of being pro, even if you're a good college player.

And remember, lots of the "rich kids" will have parents who built their own fortunes and don't have a silver spoon mentality. The poor kids may dream more, but they all do it because they love it.
    I believe flag football at the youth level would be a benefit to defenders. They would learn the proper angles needed in pursuit to pin the ball carrier to the sidelines and/or take his flag. And doing those things at speed and not blowing someone up.

The safety classes could show all the wrong ways to tackle (we all know there are hundreds of examples to choose from), the improper use of helmets like the spear and butt blocking. Information about brain and spinal trauma and how to lower the risks. But most of all, teach them how to tackle properly with on field drills. Make that the main emphasis of the classes.

When it comes to the season, I believe there should be mandatory tackling drills for ALL players, not just the defense. This is crucial because a WR in HS may be switched to DB in college or the NFL. If he has no tackling skills, he becomes dangerous, a human missile.

Shorten the HS season from 10 games to 8. Playing 32 games instead of 40 over a 4 year HS tenure.
    Implement sin bins and maybe use the yellow card system from rugby. When a HS player is out for 10 minutes he will learn to play by the rules because his team will be affected more by his absence.

In college or the NFL, I mostly suggest they have the mandatory tackle drills for ALL players. I believe this should remain in all levels of play.

Injuries will happen, concussions will happen. They can't be eliminated, but can be greatly reduce by education, training and enforcement of zero tolerance rules.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

Blog Entries
    Interesting Klosterman piece over at Grantland.com on how the popularity and danger of football are both likely to rise while not being related to each other.