Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Heat Wave

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    I spent a week in Vegas during the month of August 2006. Daytime highs were up around 115 F, lows overnight were in the mid 80s. But it was dry as a bone. I'd take that kind of heat over a 95 F/95% humidity day here in the upper midwest anytime. Heat I can handle. This humidity sucks the life out of everything. The air is so thick it's like being wrapped in plastic. Only way to beat it is with AC or a dip in the lake.
    10000% agreed with this ^^

The heat in Vegas or phoenix doesn't bother me a bit. It's hot, but its so dry you don't feel like your sweating since the second you sweat it evaporates. It feels like your tingling. Have some lip balm and nasal spray, and the heat is manageable. In Louisiana its 95+ degrees with 70%+ humidity 4-6 months of the year. Miserable. Shirt drenched in sweat, hands slick as oil with sweat, sweat running in your face, and it just keeps happening until you get air conditioning. Add to that the air is thicker than the list of arrested lions and bengals this past year, and even breathing is difficult.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    I couldn't do that unless I brought a complete change of clothes and work had a shower facility. Just 5 miles and I'd be a dripping wreck.
    No shower facility, but I do bring a change of clothes and some baby wipes. My job is super physical so it's not critical to be super lean and fresh. If it were something business I'd be taking the bus.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Add to that the air is thicker than the list of arrested lions and bengals this past year, and even breathing is difficult.
    LMFAOOOO Hahahahaha

It feels like humid air is thicker and it's harder to catch your breath.

It's the opposite. A baseball travels further in humid air of the same temperature. Humid air is less dense. It's harder to breath because it contains less oxygen.

Definitely counter-intuitive, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    In Louisiana its 95+ degrees with 70%+ humidity 4-6 months of the year. Miserable. Shirt drenched in sweat, hands slick as oil with sweat, sweat running in your face, and it just keeps happening until you get air conditioning. Add to that the air is thicker than the list of arrested lions and bengals this past year, and even breathing is difficult.
    I spent a couple weeks near Charleston South carolina a couple of summers ago. I have never, EVER felt anything like that heat+humidity mix, and I have travelled..

90+ degrees and 80%+ humidity. The small drug store in the resort area stocked a lot of chafing medications and zinc oxide creams. And even though I was a short drive or walk from 6 awesome courses, it was actually too hot to golf.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Yeah, it just keeps getting better.

But wait there is more!

Water officials are advising customers in southeastern Kansas City to boil tap water before using it for drinking or cooking.

The advisory is expected to be in effect until Wednesday evening.

The advisory follows a power failure at a water pumping station. That has prompted requests for people to restrict water use in Lee’s Summit, Blue Springs and Raytown, which purchase water from Kansas City. Residents in those cities and in the area of the boil advisory are asked not to water lawns or fill pools.

Kansas City Water Services said crews are working to restore power to the pump station.

People in the area affected by the boil advisory boil water vigorously for three minutes before consuming it or using it to prepare food. Unboiled water is safe for washing but not for brushing teeth.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

Blog Entries
    [I guess I shouldn't ask why Biggie changed his avi. LOL! I can't Say Nothin' with My Saints having their appeal upheld today.] But Yeah; I had the pwoer go out on Friday and got it back at 4 am Monday morning [appeared to have gone out again on Monday afternoon but I was out.] My place got hot and humid on Sunday. Dreadful. I also had to get into my old car and drive to work and I noticed the long delay it takes for the air-conditioning to cool down versus the newer models. Just crazy stuff. This has been an unusal weather season.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRidley; 07-03-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Jeez, no power for a hot weekend, that's miserable. I hafta say that losing my A/C has taught me that I can handle much higher temps in my place. I've reset all the thermostats.

I didn't melt completely today, but I did have to change clothes twice.

Going to be interesting to see how this Heat wave affects people's plans for the 4th..my guess... lots of dehyrdrations from double combo of alcohol and heat lol
    FPL: 15 comments can save you 15 minutes or more of embarrassing yourself on a bar discussion