Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Packers banking on Graham Harrell

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    +1, great point Big. He floats balls all over...worse than Flynn. Flynn at least had other things going for him. Harrell is pretty much just an okay backup at best. I don't want him to see the field.
    I've only seen Harrell once and that was at a preseason game here in KC a few years ago. He wasn't impressive at all, even against the Chiefs 57th string defense. He threw quite a few rainbows and was consistently inaccurate, throwing to the wrong shoulder which contributed to many dropped balls.

I watched a few game films on Coleman and I like what I see so far. I'll wait and see how he does in preseason. But I do think he is better than Harrell.

These are the ones I watched:

vs Auburn

vs Nebraska
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

I listen to footballguys.com a lot, those guys LOVE Coleman and feel like he's a perfect fit in GB. He's going to be a solid backup in the NFL for sure.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Here's a scouting report from Matt Waldman on BJ Coleman...

Strengths: As a redshirt freshman Coleman asked for all the film he could get on Peyton Manning and studied the throwing motion, footwork, drops, and play-action game and it shows. Coleman has the best play fakes of the quarterbacks in this class. Coleman played in a pro-style offense, has a pro caliber arm, and leads his receivers with good accurate in the short, intermediate, and deep game. He also does a good job of manipulating a defense with his eyes, play fakes, and pump fakes. He places the ball in good spots for receivers to either avoid contact from a defender or to make sure no defender has a chance to make a play on a throw that might other wise be risky. He shows an internal clock in the pocket and will leave the pocket in situations where he has made his reads and feels he needs to anticipate the rush. He'll also check down when he feels pressure coming fast and shows knowledge of his check-down options.

Weaknesses: His deep accuracy is very good for a college quarterback, but it needs to improve for the NFL. The range limit of his accuracy seems to fall between 45-50 yards. He needs to improve his touch on these throws as well as the quality of spin on some of his throws. Coleman has an aggressive mentality that is good for a potential NFL quarterback, but he can be too aggressive - especially in scenarios when it might seem like the right decision outside of the context of down and distance but not within the context of field position, time left on the clock, and the momentum of the opposing team. These are conceptual issues that are important to leading a team in the NFL. In this area of quarterback, Coleman has a room for improvement.

2012 Outlook: Green Bay in 2012? You're kidding, right? If he has to play, he might have some good yardage weeks but anticipate the Packers bringing in a free agent if they had to rely on Coleman or Graham Harrell for any length of time.

Dynasty Outlook: Coleman is a great pick as a future backup, but he has all the physical tools to develop into a future starter. He has the right combo of accuracy, poise, aggression, and base decision-making to become a team leader. If he develops his conceptual approach to the game, he could be one of the steals of this draft. It's always a big if when talking about transitioning to the NFL, but Coleman is worth the investment - especially if the Green Bay front office picked him as a future backup worth development.

NFL Comparison: Peyton Manning is the player Coleman has worked hard to emulate from the standpoint of the fundamentals of quarterbacking. Coleman's upside is good enough that he can become a starter with Manning-like characteristics, but not Manning's productivity and decision-making.

Lol, does anyone else think that Graham Harrell may not even make the roster?

he would if he had the arm strength...

Cheesehead TV has a snap by snap breakdown of Harrell's performance: http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers...al-key-players

As for whether he makes the team, I think the coaches will be looking at progress when it comes to Harrell. How did he look last season, with no QB school or off-season, compared to how he looks this season. How does he look in weeks 3 and 4 compared to weeks 1 and 2. If he's shown enough improvement in their eyes, and if he knows the playbook, he'll make the team.

I get there's a huge drop-off in the quality of play between Harrell and Rodgers, but there's also a huge drop-off in talent between Rodgers and just about all but maybe 5 or 10 guys, and those 5 or 10 guys are busy starting for their own teams. Plus, Rodgers didn't exactly light it up during his early years as the backup either, but that turned out just fine. I believe there's hope for Harrell, if he applies himself. Now he just needs to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    Cheesehead TV has a snap by snap breakdown of Harrell's performance: http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers...al-key-players

As for whether he makes the team, I think the coaches will be looking at progress when it comes to Harrell. How did he look last season, with no QB school or off-season, compared to how he looks this season. How does he look in weeks 3 and 4 compared to weeks 1 and 2. If he's shown enough improvement in their eyes, and if he knows the playbook, he'll make the team.

I get there's a huge drop-off in the quality of play between Harrell and Rodgers, but there's also a huge drop-off in talent between Rodgers and just about all but maybe 5 or 10 guys, and those 5 or 10 guys are busy starting for their own teams. Plus, Rodgers didn't exactly light it up during his early years as the backup either, but that turned out just fine. I believe there's hope for Harrell, if he applies himself. Now he just needs to do it.
    He's had years to apply himself and IMHO, his progress is unacceptable.

Yes, he's been on the roster since May of 2010, but he also had no off-season and a dramatically reduced training camp last season, which is why I'm willing to extend to him a bit more patience. He's made some good plays and some crappy ones, but the question is whether he's made improvements in his skills or not. Since we really don't know where his starting point is, I don't think you or I are qualified to make that assessment at this time. For now I'll place my trust in the guys who see and work with him on a weekly basis.
    Last edited by SpartaChris; 08-18-2012 at 07:38 PM.

I'll go with the incredibly poor QB rating and inability to score against the Browns along with the incredibly poor outing vs San Diego as proof. That along with the buzz that the Pack is gonna go after Tavaris Jackson and the comments like "we're giving him all 4 games to prove himself" lead me to believe that the Packers are close to letting him go unless he blows them away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    I'll go with the incredibly poor QB rating and inability to score against the Browns along with the incredibly poor outing vs San Diego as proof. That along with the buzz that the Pack is gonna go after Tavaris Jackson and the comments like "we're giving him all 4 games to prove himself" lead me to believe that the Packers are close to letting him go unless he blows them away.
    Look, I'm with Packa on this one. I've been following Harrell for years and I'm a Texas Tech fan (and alum, for my M.A.), but that dude is Ken Dorsey 2.0. He just doesn't have the arm. He might be great with the playbook, in the film room, with the guys--he's a coach's son, so he's been around the game his whole life and all that makes sense, and that might be reason enough to hold on to him for a while in some capacity. Dorsey, for instance, is now a scout for his old coordinator at Miami and in Cleveland, Rob Chudzinski, who is the O.C. of the Carolina Panthers. That may be where Harrell ultimately makes his mark. His footwork has improved in the last couple of years, but his arm is still his arm. It's not magically going to get better. (I do not intend for this to resurrect one of the great FP controversies of all time. I'm not saying someone needs a rocket to be an effective NFL quarterback, but I am saying there is a minimum of arm strength necessary to succeed in the NFL. I'm saying I don't think Graham Harrell has that.) Also, we should note, he's 27, not 23.

I'm not trying to beat up too much on Harrell and I don't think there's exactly a good option for Green Bay to back up Rodgers, especially considering how heavily you lean on the pass. I don't think Tarvaris Jackson can run that offense, unless you're hiding a back who's as good as Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch somewhere. It's worth pointing out that everywhere he's played, he's had a solid, solid running game. And he's got a gun, but he's not accurate. Colt McCoy is an upgrade over Harrell and Green Bay has weapons aplenty (unlike his time in Cleveland), but he's playing a lot this pre-season in Cleveland--that could mean he's the backup or he's being featured to give teams a reason to trade for him. Would the Packers actually give up a draft pick for him, especially since Arizona may be shopping, or the Browns may be inclined to hold on to him? He'd still probably struggle throwing the ball into tight spots and down the sidelines, especially late in the year.

Shrug.
    @kocsan