Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packers banking on Graham Harrell

Blog Entries

Packers banking on Graham Harrell

As Aaron Rodgers garners all the off season aclaim his MVP year has afforded, a young man from Texas prepares for perhaps the most important August of his football life.
    The Packers will go into training camp with Graham Harrell slated as Rodgers backup, a prospect that makes pundits and fans alike nervous, some maybe even a little incredulous. While they did draft BJ Coleman in the seventh out of Tennesee-Chatanooga, the same round they got Matt Flynn, Coleman isn't coming off a national championship win like Flynn. BJ looks to be a bear of a project. The same was said of Harrell, including some comments on this site by Turk Schonert.
    In Ted We Trust. Thompson has proved the skeptics wrong many times in his tenure. Look for him to do it again, with a little help from Mike McCarthy and Co. While once again Wisconsin sportswriters wring their hands and look for the Packers to bring in a veteran, which Ted never, or at least rarely does. I don't see Donovan McNabb in green and gold.
    Here's an excerpt from a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article regarding the young fella from Texas Tech that's being called on to step up;

Matt Flynn, Green Bay's backup quarterback the last four seasons, left for Seattle in free agency. That means Graham Harrell gets first shot at the No. 2 job.

Since the season ended, Harrell has put on 14 pounds of muscle, and his arm appeared stronger than ever during off-season practices.

"I think everybody would agree that Graham's throwing with more velocity, and I would say that starts with him," McCarthy said. "That's a credit to really what he's done from the end of last season until now."

Still, the fact remains Harrell went undrafted in 2009, was released twice by the Packers and once by the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League.

In many ways, the Packers are taking a major risk giving Harrell first crack at the backup job.

"I'll say this about Graham: I've always been impressed with the progress he's made with every opportunity he's been given," McCarthy said. "This is clearly his best opportunity of his professional career. He's getting better. It's right there for him as far as being the No. 2."

If Harrell flops this summer, the Packers will likely go searching for a veteran quarterback.

Sure they will. Maybe they'll call Favre. Yeah. If they thought there was any chance the kid would flop, they'd already have somebody coming to camp. Harrell's been running scout team for two years. Who writes this stuff?

I'm actually more excited about BJ Coleman. I wouldn't be shocked to see him climb to No. 2. Dude can play!
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    I'm actually more excited about BJ Coleman. I wouldn't be shocked to see him climb to No. 2. Dude can play!
    Uhhhh...sure. Good luck with that.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

He's physically a much better QB than Harrell. It's the mental aspect that may keep him at No.3.

I don't get all the concern with having Harrell as Rodgers' backup. Rodgers has played at such a high level throughout his career so far that I feel like it's just unrealistic to expect any backup, regardless of how veteran they are, to play anywhere near his level. Rodgers is at the level where, unless you have Tom Brady, Manning I or II, Big Ben or Drew Brees, you're going to experience a pretty significant drop off at the position anyway. Unless you have a defensive juggernaut, it's simply unrealistic to expect the team led by a backup to win a Super Bowl. Sure, you may be able to squeak out a playoff spot with someone who has a bit more time under their belt, but when the ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl, simply making the playoffs really isn't all that important.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    He's physically a much better QB than Harrell. It's the mental aspect that may keep him at No.3.
    It's a lot of things that will keep him at #3. It was a weak QB class this year, I looked at Coleman a fair bit. I didn't think he deserved to be drafted.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Graham Harrell ran a very complex offense at Texas Tech so he has the mental acuity to keep up with McCarthy's scheme. I'm just not sure I see the arm talent needed to even fill in for ARodgers.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    It's a lot of things that will keep him at #3. It was a weak QB class this year, I looked at Coleman a fair bit. I didn't think he deserved to be drafted.
    I'm a huge fan of his mechanics and his work ethic. The dude studied Peyton Manning's mechanics and modeled his game after him. I know he's not Peyton Manning and likely will never be Peyton Manning, but mechanics are extremely important in McCarthy's offense. It's about precision. He's a project, but he's a great fit with the Pack. He'll grow there no doubt. He may not move up to number 2 this year, but I doubt Harrell will stay past this year as the No. 2 guy. I haven't been impressed with anything the guy has done. I've watched every preseason game he's played in. I'm just not sold. I know he's been improving, but I think Coleman will surpass him soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    Graham Harrell ran a very complex offense at Texas Tech so he has the mental acuity to keep up with McCarthy's scheme. I'm just not sure I see the arm talent needed to even fill in for ARodgers.
    +1, great point Big. He floats balls all over...worse than Flynn. Flynn at least had other things going for him. Harrell is pretty much just an okay backup at best. I don't want him to see the field.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    I don't get all the concern with having Harrell as Rodgers' backup.
    I think it's mostly generated in the press. The header on PFT was something like Concerns In Green Bay About Graham Harrell, then there's a link to the Milwaukee Journal article that was 70% about Rodgers. So they infer there's some signigicant doubt in the Packer's organization about going with Harrell, to which they offer no proof, and the only quotes from MM are positive. Let's face it, either sports journalism is totally in the crapper, or it's July. Clearly the kid is working his tail off, or he'd have been dumped.
    As far as his past preseason performances, hard for us to tell what's true when it's scrub v. slappy. Turk and Cris will have some insight when we get into preseason. As to BJ Coleman, I've read conflicting stuff on his mental and physical game, so to me he's a total mystery.