Page 1 of 61 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion Thread: FP Best TV Shows Draft

Discussion Thread: FP Best TV Shows Draft

This thread is for discussing our picks in the FP Best TV Shows of All Time Draft. Official Draft Thread HERE.

Draft Rules:

• You must select one TV show in each of the following categories:
      1. Drama
      2. Comedy
      3. Reality
      4. Game Show
      5. Animated
      6. TV Mini-Series
      7. Information Entertainment (news, news magazine, documentary program, instruction/demonstration, etc.)
      8. Wild Card
    • You will be given 24 hours to make each of your selections. Once your initial 24 hours have passed, you will be skipped but will have an additional 24 hours to enter your selection. If this 48-hour window is allowed to close, all your future turns will be skipped and you will be considered a 'withdrawal' until you make contact again. Reinstatement will be up to the group as a whole. Don't be a draft stopper.
    • As commissioner, I reserve the right to take proactive measures to ensure the proper pace of this draft. Making picks in a timely fashion is a condition of your participation.
    • Wild cards may be taken at any point during the draft and may be from any TV category you choose
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Blog Entries
    Could a variety show fall under "Game Show", "Comedy" or would it have to be under "Wild Card"
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Whaaat..mini-series are relevant enough anymore to have its own category. The last one made was probably Band of Brothers. It'd be like having a spot for Westerns in the movie draft.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Blog Entries
    Can I still be part of this draft?

Hmmm, Round one and the first two picks are already reaches.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
    Hmmm, Round one and the first two picks are already reaches.
    You think Seinfeld is a reach? I enjoyed it, but while loathe to ascribe to it cult status, I think it certainly qualifies as a classic comedy that has withstood the test of time. Curious.
    NFL = National Football Liars

Documentary is a tricky one. If a doc debuted in a theater but was subsequently aired on TV, does it count?

Good freaking grief.

As in all our pop culture drafts, category definitions will be left up to each GM. Don't go & call Seinfeld a documentary or news program, don't call Breaking Bad a comedy & don't try to pass off House as a mini-series and we'll be all good.

If you feel you are stretching the envelope, you probably are. Try a different tack or be prepared to justify your decision.

TV mini-series can be interpreted very loosely if you like. Band of Brothers is an excellent one. There are dozens of others worthy of consideration. They just don't jump right up and bite you in the arse. You are going to have to think a little.

The only one I will be a stickler on is animated. Animated is animated. Funny. Sad. Action. Whatever. Animated is animated first and that category will remain unfettered. IOW - don't try to take The Simpsons as your comedy. It is an animated series. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Documentary is a tricky one. If a doc debuted in a theater but was subsequently aired on TV, does it count?
    Just my opinion, this is a tv series draft, you can take documentary series but not stand alone documentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    Just my opinion, this is a tv series draft, you can take documentary series but not stand alone documentaries.
    ^this. That eliminates the whole "was it shown in a theater first angle as well?", I think.