Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ced Benson's impact

Ced Benson's impact

How do you guys think Ced Benson will do? He was a 1,000 yard rusher last year, but with a better OL. Do you guys think he'll be enough of a rush game to help take the heat off of A-Rod?
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Defenses will be focused on trying to stop the passing game, since that is the Packers' main identity. Benson can slip though a gap with a draw and explode. He also doesn't have to carry the ball a billion times, they can rotate backs and keep him fresh. Besides, Cedric is better than Ryan Grant anyway. So it is an upgrade at the position.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

Enough of a rush game? I don't know, but enough of a threat? Definitely.

I know purists who hate change will say you absolutely have to run the ball, but I disagree; All you need is to be good enough to sell the illusion of rushing the ball. To create enough of a threat of running the ball. If he can move the ball well a couple of times a game, he'll be able to sell the defenses on play action, which will open those passing lanes more efficiently. That's how our running game works these days and is really all I expect out of Benson this season.

Ced should add a nice power element to the offense. He runs hard and has more speed than some are willing to admit. However I wouldn't expect much from a receiving standpoint.

He will also play against the bears with a HUGE chip on his shoulder. Give him the ball 25-30 times in those games and you won't be disappointed.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Benson on the field in Cincy.

The most positive news since he's arrived was a bit yesterday by Wilde that mentioned he was sitting in on QB meetings with Aaron to get up to speed on the offense. That knowledge is his limiting factor. McCarthy won't let him have a lot of time on the field until he knows his assignments well.

Aaron also mentioned that he has fresh legs, which I assumed to mean he's not run down with camp legs as tends to happen, but I could be wrong.

I think the most important thing is that he's a big, thick, strong, BLOCKER that knows blitz pickups and protections well. He's more important as a rushing threat and an emergency rush blocker in my mind.

Definitely guys...I'm thrilled to see him in the green and gold.

I'm pretty happy to see him here and Grant gone. That guy just never did it for me.

I'm hoping he cracks 1000 yards, but I have my doubts. We'll see.

I loved grant and last year proved it to me. Grant was nothing close to 100%, but he gave it 200%. He had to go, but he sure cared about the team and I can't fault him for that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    Enough of a rush game? I don't know, but enough of a threat? Definitely.

I know purists who hate change will say you absolutely have to run the ball, but I disagree; All you need is to be good enough to sell the illusion of rushing the ball. To create enough of a threat of running the ball. If he can move the ball well a couple of times a game, he'll be able to sell the defenses on play action, which will open those passing lanes more efficiently. That's how our running game works these days and is really all I expect out of Benson this season.
    No you generally DO need to be able to run the ball. But you just need to be able to do it efficiently so it can succeed when you need it. You don't need to have a guy rush for 1,600 yards as long as you have a guy who can average 4+ YPC and a compliment or two to him that can run efficiently as well.

Of course with that being said, I don't think Cedric Benson is that guy.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01