Thread: PEDs and effectivity.

Blog Entries

PEDs and effectivity.

In the meandering debate on PEDs, one thread question the effectivity of PEDs with comments like "Can PEDs make you hit .350?" Well apparently that is what exactly happened with Milky. The benefit he accrued seemed to be batting avg and the concurrent increase in RBIs.

1) Usually the main effect of PEDs is increased muscles. How did that UP his batting average? Bat speed?

2) The Milky Solution is conjectured at transdermal Testosterone, perhaps combined with HGH. Would the Milky Solution help QBs?

A reader of one of the articles on Cabrera mentioned an old SI article on Balco. In it, it was apparently claimed that HGH improves eyesight. They may also have said it improved reaction time, although I may have that wrong, not sure. Either one would potentially improve hitting.

What I find remarkable is the number of minor league players busted for PEDs. Obviously, a lot of people down there believe PEDs help baseball players. Given the steroid-era stats, I guess that's a duh! But it's been disputed on these pages.

Someone here noted that American football could never be played at the Olympics because all the players would fail the drug tests! WRT to QB's, why wouldn't PED's help arm strength? Running speed? And surely they would help the player develop a more impact-resistant frame?

3. Someone would have to study it but I would guess it would be the accumulation of a lot of small increases. The fly ball that goes a couple of feet further over an outfielder, the line drive that goes a foot higher over an infielder, the ground ball that is a couple of MPH faster past the infielders, the lengthening of curved route of the ball meaning a few more hits stay fair.

All would increase the batting average, maybe not by much, but enough to make a difference. That's my theory anyhow!

That makes a lot of sense to me, Afrocomb. Baseball strikes me as being a finely balanced game. The distances involved have been gauged on years of play. A player with even a slight advantage would be able to take advantage of that.

Blog Entries
    It is interesting. Along with having very little clinical data on mechanisms that PEDs help sports, people focus on the transitory effect of pills, and ignore the effect of procedures and devices. The Kobe Germany Knee procedure comes readily to mind. Along with simple things like hyperbaric chambers, blood doping(which introduces an extra pint of your own stored blood back into your body for more oxygen capacity), electric stim, tommy-john, et al.

I am suprised that simple Testosterone makes so much diff.

Blog Entries
    The biggest impact of PEDs in football for skill players would probably be increased healing. That would definitely help QBs with the wear and tear, allowing to keep putting more power on throws they might sometimes take off. Like in practice. The saying, is practice as you play, but QBs tend to throw less and less in practice as the season goes on (Roethlisberger and his rotator cuff brought this point home).