Thread: Local Writer: Don't Put Manning In!

Local Writer: Don't Put Manning In!

Mike Chappell has been covering the Colts since they moved to Indianapolis in 1984. He covered them when they were in last place. He covered them when Jim Harbaugh was getting destroyed play after play because of bad protection. He's not known to make over-the-top statements, and he knows his stuff. This is what he said about the offensive line:

[The line is] a mess...[a]nd it's going to continue to be a mess...I'd no more put Peyton Manning out in a game with that group than I'd put you out there...The line right now is not very good.

The Colts haven't had a group that consistently played together in camp. It would make sense after that hit on Eli that they would want to further limit his production. What this makes me think of is the proposal to push to 18 games. Preseason provides 4 "bye" weeks that allow players to come back from injury that they otherwise wouldn't have. In an 18 game season, Manning would be behind the line of death now, which I think would significantly increase his chance of injury. Is there really any point in him playing these next few games? Maybe Painter should have more reps with the 1st teamers?

Source: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/8/1...olts-offensive

They will be very careful with Manning.Again weve won 4 preseason games in like 5 years,most fans know the deal with the preseason,But if that line doesnt get healthy it could be very bad
    Last edited by Colts01; 08-19-2010 at 05:16 PM.
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

The thought of a full game of Painter just put Colts01 into cardiac arrest. I'm calling 911

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    The thought of a full game of Painter just put Colts01 into cardiac arrest. I'm calling 911
    LMAO thats funny but its just the preseason I dont see any reason y Manning shld play at all in the preseason anyways.....I dont Painter coming out starting a "QB controversy".....we all kno that the colts are a 4-5 win team without #18 back there
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

kinda makes sense but Peyton will play his 1 or 2 drives and get out lol
    [B][I]"You tried your best, and you failed miserably. The lesson is never try."- Homer Simpson[/I][/B]

Geeez, you guys don't seem to have any faith in Frank Reich, huh? I mean, he IS the QB coach for the Colts, I'm SURE he was a major part in helping Manning become the QB he is today.

On a completely non-sarcastic note, how long will it take Polian to fire the O-line coach (another ex-Bill) Pete Metzelaars? Every Football Blog I've read has been talking about how badly that line is doing and how it needs help.
    “The year we beat Miami in the Super Bowl, ... do you know how many defensive linemen were in our rotation? Nine, and we used them all quite a bit. We just wore the Dolphins out.”

~Bill Walsh