Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Moments In Browns' History Part 43

Great Moments In Browns' History Part 43

Bill Belichick wanted to draft Warren Sapp when he and Michael Lombardi were with the Browns in 1995.

“He said ‘I wanna draft you so bad that I have an erection right now,’” Sapp said of Belichick, during a Tuesday interview with The Scott Van Pelt Show on ESPN Radio.

Lombari persuaded the Browns away from Sapp due to information obtained by the franchise's security departement.

“We would have never left Cleveland,” Sapp said of what would have happened with the Browns. “Trust me, the Mistake by the Lake would have been righteous.”

Sapp was picked 12th overall, giving the Browns an opportunity to select him had they not traded down with the 49ers.
    With that first round choice, the Browns selected Craig Powell - a linebacker who played parts of three seasons in the league while racking up a total of ONE tackle.

This helps explain why Bellichick is on his way to Canton, while Lombardi plays straight man to the Sports Guy on his podcasts.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

isn't this a bit early? They've only been around for like 13 years.

And by the next year that team was in Baltimore and selected both Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis in the first round.

The question is, would they have still moved? My impression has been yes, regardless of any on field success in 1995.

Blog Entries
    Given Modell's level of debt at the time, I don't think there's any way they wouldn't have moved unless he had sold the team, which he clearly was too proud and too selfish to do... until he couldn't move the team again and had to sell them* anyway in 2000.

(He sold a 49% interest in 2000, and the rest of the team in 2004.)
    @kocsan

Oh, I have no doubt but that the team was going to move. It's just always interesting to hear these things after the fact. Mike Lombardi seems like a nice guy with good knowledge of the game, but what an epic blunder.

Any Browns fans here old enough to remember Mike Junkin? http://www.pro-football-reference.co...1987/draft.htm
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Not a Clowns fan but I remember Junkin.

Many years ago I read a book by Gene Klein former Chargers owner, written after he sold to Alex Spanos. Book titled First Down and a Billion to Go. Very interesting insight to a NFL team.
    In the book Klein wrote about the Cleveland stadium situation. Basically what he said was that Modell turned down the city when he was approached about a new stadium. The city owned the Temple of Doom but Modell owned the company than ran day to day operations. According to Klein, Modell was worried about losing that gravy train if a new stadium was built. Fast forward a few years, other teams getting new homes w/ luxery boxes, which is unshared revenue. Modell approaches the city about a new stadium and is told no. City leaders tell him after building the Jake taxpayers are tapped out and another tax is not going to happen. Few years later Modell is so broke he has to take a loan to sign a free agent.
    Give Modell credit, he joins Leonard Tose (Eagles) as the only 2 NFL owners who managed to go broke while owning a NFL franchise.
    Takes some serious incompetance to do that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrzzerBwler View Post
    Not a Clowns fan but I remember Junkin.

Many years ago I read a book by Gene Klein former Chargers owner, written after he sold to Alex Spanos. Book titled First Down and a Billion to Go. Very interesting insight to a NFL team.
    In the book Klein wrote about the Cleveland stadium situation. Basically what he said was that Modell turned down the city when he was approached about a new stadium. The city owned the Temple of Doom but Modell owned the company than ran day to day operations. According to Klein, Modell was worried about losing that gravy train if a new stadium was built. Fast forward a few years, other teams getting new homes w/ luxery boxes, which is unshared revenue. Modell approaches the city about a new stadium and is told no. City leaders tell him after building the Jake taxpayers are tapped out and another tax is not going to happen. Few years later Modell is so broke he has to take a loan to sign a free agent.
    Give Modell credit, he joins Leonard Tose (Eagles) as the only 2 NFL owners who managed to go broke while owning a NFL franchise.
    Takes some serious incompetance to do that.
    This is pretty much factual information.
    @kocsan

Being a lifelong Browns fan and having being born and raised in Cleveland, I can state 2 true hard facts about Browns fans or just Clevelanders in general. This picture below sums up both of them for me.

1.) Modell = We Clevelanders have hidden a homing device in his cloths. If he comes in a 250 mile radius of the city, 30 land-based ICBM Missiles will come thundering down on him. And No, Obama did not sign off on this yet, but we don't really care, it's all staying.

2.) Lebron = Well let's just say we all wish him a dying death and not just in terms of his professional career, but literally in a physical way. May your career stink like the very toilet you crap in every day. And it is true, we really do have weekly bonfires that consist of oil drums with his jerseys burning all weekend long and we cook Heb dogs over them.

Last edited by BobbyJ; 08-31-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks mkocs6

Bobby - I see your point, but as Browns fans, we have no comebacks,

I was at a faculty breakfast today and was talking to a prof who revealed that he was a Steeler fan. I had nothing. No big wins to joke about, no playoff victories, no long winning streaks... nothing.

And that is what hurts and annoys me the most. As a fan base, we've got nothing. Even our nasty jokes about Big Ben or art modell... they don't hurt their target...

I need a drink.