Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Packers 2012 cut down

And you watch HS football in SoCal?
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    And you watch HS football in SoCal?
    Yep. This isn't Texas but HS Football is a pretty big deal here.

When my oldest son was playing a while back, I realized that the level of play and talent was far better than I'd seen as a kid and quite enjoyed watching it apart from the parental responsibilities.

There are a constant run of camps and 7 on 7 leagues during the off season and the local league has been pretty consistently good. As a result, I've watched a number of kids go on to have NFL careers of a sort. The results are continually perplexing, I don't know how recruiters and scouts deal with it.

The best young kicker I ever saw decided to forgo punting (what I thought he did best) at Arizona State and wound up being just a little too erratic to get through his first camp at the NFL level. I guess he got too enamored of the 60+ yard field goals he liked to kick in practice all the time.

‪David Anderson‬ was not someone that figured to have a career beyond college, yet he played well enough over several seasons with the Texans. Marc Tyler was a monster in HS, bigger and faster than anyone else; we'll have to see what the future holds for him. His QB was a punk named Jimmy Clausen (and maybe Nick Montana, I can't remember when Montana was around). Rudy Carpenter is still bouncing around and may yet wind up on the Cowboys PS.

The biggest local success of recent vintage is Clay Matthews III and he barely showed up at the HS level. Playing for a league doormat didn't help.

I know I'm forgetting someone... ah yes, Ricky Elmore. He got released by San Diego yesterday.

Practice Squad:

Coleman (QB), Borel (WR), Tyler (RB), Bostick (TE), Van Roten (G), Datko (T), Guy (DT)

One slot remains open.

I spend a ton of time here in the HS football scene. I do the chains for the team I played for. We haven't had nobody great come out of here...pretty much just LJ Smith out of Highland Park, NJ and Jesse Holly from the Roselle Rams. Mohammad Wilkerson from Linden, NJ too.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010