Meyer Florida WON first BCS in 2nd year
    Miles LSU WON BCS in 3rd year
    Brown Texas WON BCS in 7th year
    Saban LSU WON SEC in 2nd WON BCS in 4th
    Carroll USC WON BCS in 3rd(*) and 4th year
    Tressel Ohio State WON BCS in 2nd year
    Stoops Oklahoma Stoops WON BCS in 2nd Year
    Coker Miami WON BCS in 1st year

Notice the pattern? If you are going to win big, you win big fast.

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    Saban Alabama WON first BCS in 3rd year
    Chizak Auburn WON BCS in 2nd year
    Meyer Florida WON first BCS in 2nd year
    Miles LSU WON BCS in 3rd year
    Brown Texas WON BCS in 7th year
    Saban LSU WON SEC in 2nd WON BCS in 4th
    Carroll USC WON BCS in 3rd(*) and 4th year
    Tressel Ohio State WON BCS in 2nd year
    Stoops Oklahoma Stoops WON BCS in 2nd Year
    Coker Miami WON BCS in 1st year

Notice the pattern? If you are going to win big, you win big fast.

I can't speak for all of the above, but to be fair to Hoke he's stuck with A LOT of guys that probably don't fit his offensive system. ANY coach who took over was going to re-stock the talent with guys who fit.

Blog Entries
    But the same can be said for MOST in that list. It simply doesn't take more than 3 recruiting classes, and 2 is more common than >2.

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    But the same can be said for MOST in that list. It simply doesn't take more than 3 recruiting classes, and 2 is more common than >2.

I imagine most on those list didn't inherit a team making such a switch in offensive identity. Saban, Meyer, Tressel, Carroll and Coker certainly didn't.

Most on that list also inherited much more talented rosters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    I imagine most on those list didn't inherit a team making such a switch in offensive identity. Saban, Meyer, Tressel, Carroll and Coker certainly didn't.

Most on that list also inherited much more talented rosters.
    This. The only person on that list who inherited a program in a situation like Hoke's was Bob Stoops at Oklahoma.

Hoke did a great job last season with the hand he was dealt. He used his talent in an effective way, not necessarily his way, something Rodriguez refused to do while transitioning to his system. Michigan's gameplan last night was less like what they ran last season, where they moved Robinson out of the pocket and let him and move the launchpad to throw. For the Wolverines' sake, I hope they don't do that much for the rest of the season, the superior level of talent they faced last night notwithstanding.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Tressel had a pretty lame bunch at OSU. And Saban both times.

I just don't think it takes longer than 3 recruiting classes usually. How could almost every coach that wins a National title win it in 3 or less, except Hoke who is wildly different. All the positions were different, yet they group pretty well in 2 or 3 years. Coincidence?

Watching Washington State, one thing stood out. Mike Leach has nothing like the team speed he had at Texas Tech. Everyone looked sloooow. It was so bad he turned a tiny little running back into a wide receiver, just to get some pace out there. He's going to need time -- and a lot of recruiting trips to California -- to get his kind of players in Pullman.

Other than that, just a bad team. D-line pushed around, o-line couldn't protect. And as you'd expect, everyone a bit confused by the new offensive system.

Highly regarded GA QB Aaron Murray had stellar numbers and mediocre reviews. Still not accurate, and this was against Buffalo.

Arizona is plain bad. At 49, Rich Rodriguez is still a young man, in coaching terms. Does he have the energy to turn this program around? Or is he in a Dennis Erickson-like permanent career death spiral?

Who is going to beat Alabama?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Watching Washington State, one thing stood out. Mike Leach has nothing like the team speed he had at Texas Tech. Everyone looked sloooow. It was so bad he turned a tiny little running back into a wide receiver, just to get some pace out there. He's going to need time -- and a lot of recruiting trips to California -- to get his kind of players in Pullman.

Other than that, just a bad team. D-line pushed around, o-line couldn't protect. And as you'd expect, everyone a bit confused by the new offensive system.
    I was so disappointed that I missed this game because of the storm. Well, I was more disappointed about spending three days without air conditioning in Louisiana in August, but I was excited to see Leach on the sidelines again. The score didn't look pretty and a friend told me Washington State looked baaaaaaaaaaaad. I suppose it's to be expected when the Cougars have won seven games in the last three years. Some recruiting trips to California--and I assume back to Texas--is right. One piece of good news on that, having lived in Lubbock for a few years, if Leach can sell Lubbock, he can probably do the same for Pullman.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax
    Highly regarded GA QB Aaron Murray had stellar numbers and mediocre reviews. Still not accurate, and this was against Buffalo.

Arizona is plain bad. At 49, Rich Rodriguez is still a young man, in coaching terms. Does he have the energy to turn this program around? Or is he in a Dennis Erickson-like permanent career death spiral?

Who is going to beat Alabama?
    Serious question about Murray, wasn't like half of Georgia's team suspended for this game? Not accurate is not accurate, but I don't know what pieces were missing, either.

My friend in Tucson told me Rodriguez needed overtime to beat Toledo. I don't think Arizona is going to be competing for Pac-12 titles any time soon in the same division as USC, but I wonder if he might be able to get the win total up to a more respectable level (by Arizona standards) quickly against leaner Pac-12 competition. I'm not so much talking about the relative strength of the conference against the Big Ten as I am the way teams are built. Rodriguez's offense, in theory, is a great way to flip the script against the plodding Big Ten, but his teams--and especially his defenses--really got pushed around. Not sure what's going to happen out there.

And to your final question, I got nothing.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Who is going to beat Alabama,

LSU, USC, Ark, OU, Ore, OSt are all candidates. I think Michigan is a false read. They should have been ranked 28 not 8.

Blog Entries
    I caught the second half of Ohio State's game against Central Florida today. Solid, nothing that would blow you away, although Ohio State spent most of the day without starting runningback Carlos Hyde. Braxton Miller looks much better than he did last year.

I also caught the last two minutes of Virginia--Penn State. Rough stuff. After a late Virginia score on a touchdown pass to a (wide open) tight end in the front of the end zone, Penn State had an odd kind of drive down the field in a 1:30 or so. McGloin ran the drill pretty fluidly, although I'll admit I was puzzled by a couple of his five yard dumpoffs in the middle of the field. Penn State managed to catch a couple breaks and get into field goal range, but their kicker missed his fourth field goal of the day. There seemed to be a fairly large faction for Penn State at the game even though it was in Charlottesville.

I'm not trying to bait Trumpet here, but I think it could be a really, really long season for Penn State. I was never terribly impressed with them last year, and they squeaked by in a number of games--six of their nine wins came by less than a touchdown and in eight games they scored fewer than twenty points. They managed to win nine, so the exodus of talented offensive players as well as a normalizing regression to the mean (it's really hard to win close, low-scoring games in those numbers every year) could spell a lot of trouble. Granted, it may be obvious that the next decade (or more) at Penn State is going to be difficult, but I'm just looking at the short term.

Sidebar, Virginia really has a cool stadium with some character. Not a terribly big place or a very prominent program, but it fits into a beautiful campus really nicely.
    @kocsan