Thread: Kyle Orton gets a 1 year deal...Smart move by the Broncos?

Kyle Orton gets a 1 year deal...Smart move by the Broncos?

Kyle Orton signed a one-year, $8.8 million contract extension to remain the starting QB for the Denver Broncos through the 2011 season. It was a very smart move by Denver. While Orton isn't the most exciting QB in the league, he is serviceable, has had a full year in the McDaniels offense, and has gotten better every year in the NFL (in which he played more than 10 games).

Blog Entries
    Sup Spin! I think that it was a Good move; Notice how the Broncos say what they needed to from Quinn & Tebow to make their decision and they also are going through the Tebow injury. I also think that Quinn will get cut before the end of the year and that Tebow will do like Tony Romo and will sit for a bit. He's getting warmed to the NFL in the mental aspect but he's also got some college technique left in him.

I like it when some guys take some time to get built up in the league. We're SO Spoiled on NFL QBs being ready NOW! But not everyone is going to be ready like Marino or Roethlisberger.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

I like it for the obvious reason that it takes pressure and speculation off of the 'timing of Tebow', because I do believe he will be a good QB but only after learning for a couple of years holding a clipboard.
    But I mainly like it because it shows how a hard working employee and fair employer should treat each other. With all the crap that goes on with outrageous salaries, holdouts, labor agreements, etc it is refreshing to see Orton keep his mouth shut and put in honest hard work. And in turn, the Broncos notice the results and pay him a competitive salary. I have liked Orton since his Purdue days. I don't think he is the most physically talented QB in the league but he is near the top in the mentally smart category. We also haven't seen him play at 100% physically. Assuming the O line plays decent he should have a great year.

I also like the deal. It doesn't commit them to a guy who may or may not be their starter mid-season and who in my eyes has not proven anything beyond being an average NFL QB. I view him as more of a game manager than anything else, which is essentially the role of a fill-in backup QB. I like this deal. It lets the Broncos retain some flexibility going into next year.

I think its a good move, 8.8 million is alot of money for him but I think this at least let's him know that he is "the guy" for now. Good move to avoid the whole QB circus type thing
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."