Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only saw the last 5 minutes of the game...

Only saw the last 5 minutes of the game...

... but I still saw two things that alarmed me greatly.

1. Shurmur threw a challenge flag on a play that couldn't be challenged (according to the announcers). Also, Vick's fumble was clearly recovered by the Eagles. Who is in the coach's ear telling him to challenge that play? The point became moot when Weeden threw his final pass, but wouldn't an extra time out have come in handy during the final drive?

2. Weeden?

For those of you who watched the entire game, did he show anything that gives you any hope whatsoever?
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

I didn't get to see this game either, but I'm hoping since it was a close one, NFLN will re-air it Tues. or Wed. The box scores alone tell me both teams ought to be worried. I think Vick fans ought to be more concerned than Weeden ones. Wait, does Weeden have fans yet?

Blog Entries
    The challenge was definitely a waste. These teams (not just in Cleveland) have gotta get better at this, and coaches have gotta stop listening to players who say they should challenge it.

Weeden looked pretty miserable. Not sure there's a whole lot to say. I will assume, however, that he can't possibly be that bad every game. It's game one. See if he improves.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Well after watching that game, here are my thoughts.

1.) If the Eagles and (Mainly Vick) continue to play at that caliber, I have no clue how they will win a single game from here on out. No team will ever win throwing 4 INT's...unless their playing against the Browns.

2.) Weeden looked awful as well as most of our WR's. Little should have been our #1 but dropped a pass and was basically non-existent after that. Look for the "Colt" chants next Sunday.

3.) Browns Def I thought played fairly well. I like how TJ Ward looked. But then again any other Defense could have had that good of a day if they played against Vick, he was that bad.
    Last edited by BobbyJ; 09-10-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    I decided to stay away from the bar scene on Sunday and listened to the game on the radio. You can still get a solid idea of the course of the game from the audio, although I admit it's not the same as seeing it with your own eyes. Cleveland's play-by-play crew--Jim Donovan and Doug Dieken--are honest homers, if there's such a thing. I listened to pretty much the entire game after missing the first minute of play or so.

(1) Weeden was more atrocious than I could have possibly imagined. I would say the numbers speak for themselves, but honestly, they don't. He consistently overthrew open men, two of which by all accounts should have been touchdown passes; he had at least two more interceptions dropped. The Browns' defense consistently gave the offense excellent field position and they failed to convert a single touchdown drive during the game. It's really impossible to say that someone is a total bust after Week 1, but he did not do himself any favors. It's safe to say he had the worst quarterbacking performance in the league yesterday, if not the worst associated with the Cleveland Browns--because, let's face it, we've seen some bad ones.

(2) I have much stronger, more negative feelings about a fullback than I ever should. As you all know, I'm very understanding when young players have hiccups and have given the talent evaluation staff in this front office a lot of latitude, but I'm just about ready to pull the plug on the Owen Marecic project. Marecic dropped a pass in the flat yesterday on 3rd and short just before halftime. Maybe Weeden threw the ball with absolutely no touch. Considering the situation--the Eagles with one timeout remaining and inside the two minute warning, the Browns deep in their own territory and their offense having had a very unsuccessful first half--it might be the greater sin that we even contemplated throwing a pass in the first place. That said, Marecic needs to be a much better receiver out of the backfield. We let Lawrence Vickers, a solid fullback who is an excellent blocker, go to draft this guy in the fourth round and I can't think of a single positive thing he's done in seventeen games. And I pay attention.

(3) As bad as the offense was and considering the lack of support yesterday, the defense played an admirable game even if it doesn't look spectacular in the yardage column. Jauron played seven deep on the defensive line and used a makeshift crew of linebackers, generating 19 quarterback pressures. They only sacked Vick twice, but they hit him at least a good dozen other other times. They forced fumbles and interceptions, scored a defensive touchdown, and damn near won the game for the team. Ahtyba Rubin, in particular, was in Vick's face a lot bringing pressure up the middle and I can't wait to see what the defense looks like when Phil Taylor comes back, probably in a month or a month and a half, to play the other DT spot. They gave up a touchdown drive at the end of each half, so there's clearly room for improvement, but it was an herculean effort. Had they gotten any support at all from their offense, the Browns almost certainly win the game (not that they really deserved to).

(4) T.J. Ward was very good, and it was great to see Joe Haden pick off a pass yesterday after going all of last season without one. That was going to become a monkey on his back soon.

(5) The Browns looked for Travis Benjamin a lot yesterday, sometimes in ways that they shouldn't have--or at the very least didn't execute them properly on the field. By far the best offensive play of the day was a double-reverse to Benjamin who carried the ball for 35 yards on the play, which would have set up a score if not for a Weeden interception on a tip drill of a pass intended for Little. Two of Weeden's interceptions were intended for Benjamin, which is kind of disturbing. He threw to Benjamin on 9s, as best I can tell, but by all accounts hung 50-50 balls up in the air both times--not exactly something your 5'8" speed demon can do. You need to throw those balls out in front and let him run underneath them. Another black mark for Weeden.

(6) Special teams were a strength. We saw the Josh Cribbs of old yesterday, who was perhaps helped by the Eagles punter blasting 60ish yard punts, but his kickoff average was about 30 yards, as well. Execution was fine on Browns' punts and field goals, and kickoff and punt coverage kept the Eagles contained, too.

(7) Trent Richardson needs to shake off some rust. He seemed tentative, except on one spectacular play.

I'm not worried about him. He blocked well yesterday, and he probably needs a game or two to get his feet under him again. He missed all four preseason games, so maybe it was a little hyper-optimistic to expect him to come back into the lineup without missing a beat.

Brandon Jackson, however, converted on some third downs and made a strong case to the changeup to Richardson's fastball this season.

(8) Hard to say much else. We need to hold on to the ball better, obviously, as the Eagles had it for 35 minutes yesterday. Our run defense had some problems, too, as it did last year, but a big chunk of those yards came late in the second half when they had been on the field for most of the day, and it's hard to blame a defense for selling out to close down passing lanes against Philadelphia, which they did successfully.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    (9) Oh, by the way, on the last play of the first half, did I mention that Weeden took off running from the 50 yard line or so instead of heaving it deep on a Hail Mary? I have no idea if anyone was even remotely open (but I wouldn't have held an interception against him, either), but that's where his 24 rushing yards came from yesterday. Jesus.
    Last edited by mkocs6; 09-10-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    @kocsan

Yeah Vickers was a sweet Fullback, not sure why we ever got rid of him. But that play by Trent running over Kurt Coleman was breathtaking. Benjamin will be good in due time I think

The Richardson hit is the 2012 version of the Jerome Simpson flip, you're going to see it everywhere for a long time and yet never quite get sick of it (unless of course you happen to be Kurt Coleman).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJ View Post
    Yeah Vickers was a sweet Fullback, not sure why we ever got rid of him. But that play by Trent running over Kurt Coleman was breathtaking. Benjamin will be good in due time I think
    I hope my post didn't suggest otherwise, but I really like Travis Benjamin. I think he has a lot of upside. I think he needs to be used properly, though, and winning jump balls is never going to be his strong suit.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    There's not much positive I can say about the offense after that performance, but there were some bright spots on defense. Buster Skrine looked good in coverage, Emmanuel Stephens looked good rushing the passer in limited snaps, and I was really impressed by Craig Robertson at linebacker.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01