Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Optimist or just plain dumb?

Ultimate Optimist or just plain dumb?

Jets' Ryan: Revis won't go on IR just in case CB could play in Super Bowl

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan says the New York Jets are not ready to place star cornerback Darrelle Revis on season-ending injured reserve in case he recovers from a torn knee ligament in time to play in the Super Bowl.

remainder of article: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/20396328/jets-ryan-revis-wont-go-on-ir-just-in-case-hes-ready-for-super-bowl/rss

(fixed link)
    Last edited by buzmeg; 09-28-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: fixed link
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

link isn't working.

This just seems incredibly dumb though. They just created an IR spot that allows a player to come back later in the season. Why on earth wouldn't you use it? It allows you for at least 9 weeks or so have an extra roster spot. Really dumb.

Well, they are in first place. It's brilliant like Clark Griswald not getting up from that blackjack table.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    link isn't working.

This just seems incredibly dumb though. They just created an IR spot that allows a player to come back later in the season. Why on earth wouldn't you use it? It allows you for at least 9 weeks or so have an extra roster spot. Really dumb.
    The one player per year that you can give the special IR designation, must be done prior to week 1. Once the season begins that special designation is gone. Rex can't use it...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    The one player per year that you can give the special IR designation, must be done prior to week 1. Once the season begins that special designation is gone. Rex can't use it...

nope, that was just a special thing for this year that people already put on IR could be removed just this once. Once the rule was passed the league allowed a team just for 2012 to take someone who they had already put on IR in the preseason and put them back on the roster. They would then be moved to the "designated to return" list on the Tuesday (Sept. 4th) of the first week.

They actually can't be given the designation BEFORE week 1.

Now, if a player is hurt and put on injured reserve after Sept. 4, that player may return to the active roster eight weeks after the IR designation, and the player must be on the IR list for at least six weeks. In addition, a player must be "designated for return" at the time of his IR classification, which means that a team must anticipate a player's ability to return midseason.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...4641--nfl.html

New York has not ruled out putting Revis on the NFL's new injured reserve/designated for return list, which teams can use for one player per season. That player would be able to return to practice after six weeks and play in a game after eight.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz27nxnmNLp
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 09-28-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Well, they are in first place.
    Tebow - all he does is win!
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Well, they are in first place.
    To that I'd say NFL (not for long).
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

Dumb. Took AP twice as long as Revis is expecting to be back to recover from the same injury.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there has been just one instance of a player returning from an ACL tear to play in a game that same season. On September 3, 1995, Rod Woodson tore his ACL trying to tackle Barry Sanders during a week 1 game against Detroit. 19 weeks, or less than 5 months later, on January 28, 1996, Woodson played for the Steelers against Dallas in the Super Bowl. His assignment that day was Michael Irvin, who had a relatively modest 5 catch, 74 yard performance.

Fuzzy math tells me that there would be 17 weeks between the Revis injury and the Super Bowl.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there has been just one instance of a player returning from an ACL tear to play in a game that same season.
    Jerry Rice did it. He was promptly re-injured.