Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Beyond Time

It's Beyond Time

I'll preface this by saying I don't even like Brian Cushing, but for the love of all that is good, can we FINALLY outlaw Cut Blocks?

They're absolutely ridiculous and I've seen far too many injuries result from them. I can think of 3 ACL tears just off the top of my head in the last 3 seasons from cut blocks.

We're in an age where player safety is considered to be so important. Why on Earth are you continuing to allow offensive players to DIVE at the KNEES of defenders? It's ridiculous.

Blog Entries
    If you can't dive at the knees of a QB you shouldn't be able to of a defender. That's ridiculous to act like 1 players safety is more important than others based on position.

and in fairness, I'm sicking of watching DB's dive at the knees of ballcarriers too. Learn to tackle. While it may work, the ballcarrier typically gains another 2-3 yards anyway after they get taken airborne. Wrap up, make a proper tackle and don't give the offense extra yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I don't even like Brian Cushing, but for the love of all that is good, can we FINALLY outlaw Cut Blocks?

They're absolutely ridiculous and I've seen far too many injuries result from them. I can think of 3 ACL tears just off the top of my head in the last 3 seasons from cut blocks.

We're in an age where player safety is considered to be so important. Why on Earth are you continuing to allow offensive players to DIVE at the KNEES of defenders? It's ridiculous.
    I've read a lot of opinions, mostly negative about zone blocking.

Isn't Houston a zone blocking team? That might have been a passing fad but I thought Kubiak brought that over with him from Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by edave View Post
    I've read a lot of opinions, mostly negative about zone blocking.

Isn't Houston a zone blocking team? That might have been a passing fad but I thought Kubiak brought that over with him from Denver.

yea Kubiak's a zone blocking guy and he does it in Houston and did it in Denver. His guys cut a lot of defenders, so what goes around comes around to an extent (they did the same thing to Bengal Antwan Odom in 2009 when he was leading the league in sacks, tore his ACL on an Owen Daniels cut, who later got cut on an INT and tore his acl too)

Does zone blocking REQUIRE cutting though?

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Does zone blocking REQUIRE cutting though?
    I believe that in general zone blocking leads to more cut blocking because all blocks are at angles and depending upon where the defender and where he is going, the idea of blocking to and through a place, not a body does lead to more cut blocks than in other schemes.

The Packers kinda run a ZBS (we could debate the efficacy of James Campen's ability to teach it but that would be pointless as the subject never goes away in some circles). I tend to notice the odd angles more on the second level but it's there.

The cut block is a core staple of the zone blocking scheme. I agree, if the NFL cares about safety this rule should be addressed also. It would be a big time rule shift though. It would totally neuter the zbs.

With the number of teams that run the zbs, I dont know if the rule would pass a vote by the teams. Dunno if 2/3 would ratify the change. Being a fan of a team that doesn't chop much, and generally wraps up and tackles, I'm in favor of the change.

Wait for it... Wait for it...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

I heard about it but just watched the video above. I think that this was semi-unique in that Slauson missed his initial block on Cushing, then turned around and clipped him from the side but also slightly behind. That's cheap.

I totally agree about safety for all. The problem is that the NFL is all about money and fantasy football these days. They know that 95% of their "fans" want to see 45-44 shootout thrillers and that any further protection for defenders will lower scoring output. We can't have that!

This kind of crap happened to me in HS and it would piss me off. Guapo nailed it. Cut blocking isn't the issue. It's the blind cut blocks. When an OL cut blocks you on the DL, you're generally facing forward and it slows you down rather than puts you in any real danger. This was bad because Cushing had no idea it was coming.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

lots of injuries happen from cut blocks you can see too.