Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Officially a Laughing Stock

Officially a Laughing Stock

One of the plot arcs on this season's 30 Rock focusses on Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin) trying to "tank" NBC's season. Lower ratings will eventually allow him to advance up the corporate ladder.

On last night's episode, he said that he was going to ruin Sunday Night Football by showing nothing but Cleveland Browns' games.

A funny line...
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    One of the plot arcs on this season's 30 Rock focusses on Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin) trying to "tank" NBC's season. Lower ratings will eventually allow him to advance up the corporate ladder.

On last night's episode, he said that he was going to ruin Sunday Night Football by showing nothing but Cleveland Browns' games.

A funny line...
    I've been going back and forth on Bengals @ Browns since Tuesday, I'm going to pick the Browns just because they have to get pissed off sometime. A division game seems like a good time for something good to happen.

Blog Entries
    In some research earlier, I found Cincy has won 13 of the last 16 games, but the winning team has won by 10 or less in 12 of those games.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

I too have chosen the Browns in my pools.

While 30 Rock was absolutely hilarious last night, it's just a little jarring to realize that the Browns have replaced the Lions, Cardinals and Bengals as being a punch line.

Used to be that the Saints were the franchise that was made fun of the most often...
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Whenever a team goes through an extended period of suckitude they become the national punchline.

Homer Simpson: "now we just sit back and wait for an NFL team"
    Random guy: "I represent the Arizona Cardinals and ..."
    Homer: "keep walking"

Al Bundy: But the Bears play the Rams this week. If you lose to the Rams you get thrown out of the league.

There's another Simpsons where Krusty is on a USO tour where everything is 2nd rate, it includes the Bengals' cheerleaders.

If you go back far enough I'm sure you can find some form of national joke about almost every franchise. The oldest I can think of offhand is: Washington: first in war, first in peace, last in the American League.

"Aww, the Denver Broncos?" - Homer Simpson upon learning the NFL team he now owned was not his dream Dallas Cowboys (ironically, when this episode aired, the Broncos were 8-1, and would win their first of two Super Bowls the following year. Had to look it up, no credit here)
    Last edited by DaBearsFan; 10-13-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vancemeek View Post
    In some research earlier, I found Cincy has won 13 of the last 16 games, but the winning team has won by 10 or less in 12 of those games.
    {Not to pile on}. But Pittsburgh has gone 19-2 since 2001 vs the browns. {Forgive me for not looking up the ravens records h2h with the browns, Que kaba}.

Sorry but when you've gone 5-27 in the division vs the steelers and Bengals over 11 years (with the Bengals being a lot of "the other doormat" during that time frame, you deserve the slams for sucking on broadcast tv.

The browns have well earned their national punchline status...
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 10-13-2012 at 04:13 AM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    I too have chosen the Browns in my pools.

While 30 Rock was absolutely hilarious last night, it's just a little jarring to realize that the Browns have replaced the Lions, Cardinals and Bengals as being a punch line.

Used to be that the Saints were the franchise that was made fun of the most often...
    How I Met Your Mother made a joke at the Browns' expense this week. Of course, the show's creator is from Cleveland and so is the character Ted, and I don't know about 30 Rock, but Cleveland has either featured or been mentioned in enough episodes (Floyd, jokes about Jack's friendship with the owner of the Browns, last night) that I wouldn't be surprised if there's a contributing writer from the city. Just a thought.

Anyway, whatever.
    Last edited by mkocs6; 10-13-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Well, I guess we can all calm down a little bit...
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Well, I guess we can all calm down a little bit...
    Not in Cincinnati. The world ended early.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco