Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High school records - go waste some time

High school records - go waste some time

http://www.nfhs.org/recordbook/Recor...x?CategoryId=1

A list of all the high school football records. This site will not be of any interest to a sane, rational person. I, on the other hand, find it fascinating.

A few things to check out:

Search on the name of Ken Hall, who played for Sugarland HS (TX) in the 50s and still holds the career rushing record (over 11,000 yards) as well as quite a few other records, including yards/carry in a single game (520 yards on 11 carries). Check out Hall's wiki page if you've never heard of him, possibly the greatest HS football player ever.

A few NFL greats that still show up on the list: Billy Sims, Emmitt Smith, Herschel Walker, Max McGee and, believe it or not, Red Grange.

Quite a few current players like Peyton Manning, Toby Gerhart, A.J. Green, Knowshon Moreno.

A few baseball players: J.R. House, Jermaine Dye, Don Gullett.

Perhaps the most shocking stat I found: JaMarcus Russell had 7362 career rushing yards.

I'm not sure I've ever even noticed there's an "Other Leagues" forum.

Well, my productivity just went to zero. Also, awesome to see former Reds and Yankees lefty Don Gullett on this list. Gullett has the highest win percentage in Reds history for guys with a minimum of 100 decisions. After dominating the Yankees in the 1976 World Series, they signed him. Gullett lost his two post-season starts in 1977 for the Yankees and was horrible. I think he gave up something like ten runs in one game.

I love Don Gullett. Always secretly a Red, I say. Did what he could to derail the Yanks.

I guess they don't teach punting well in Michigan. Three separate times, a kid blocked 4 punts in a game in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Well, my productivity just went to zero. Also, awesome to see former Reds and Yankees lefty Don Gullett on this list. Gullett has the highest win percentage in Reds history for guys with a minimum of 100 decisions. After dominating the Yankees in the 1976 World Series, they signed him. Gullett lost his two post-season starts in 1977 for the Yankees and was horrible. I think he gave up something like ten runs in one game.

I love Don Gullett. Always secretly a Red, I say. Did what he could to derail the Yanks.
    I think he's still the only pitcher to start game 1 of the world series in 2 straight years for 2 different teams ('76 Reds, '77 yankees).

Gullett was a legendary high school athlete in Kentucky. Aside from scoring 11 TDs in a single game (take that Al Bundy), he also scored 50 points in a basketball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I think he's still the only pitcher to start game 1 of the world series in 2 straight years for 2 different teams ('76 Reds, '77 yankees).

Gullett was a legendary high school athlete in Kentucky. Aside from scoring 11 TDs in a single game (take that Al Bundy), he also scored 50 points in a basketball game.
    Cliff Lee did for the Phillies and Rangers in 2009 and 2010, but I do think they are the only ones.

Koy Detmer is tied with a couple guys for 4th with 44 completions in a game. Nice to see the God of Neck Beards on there. I wonder how thick it was growing in back then. He probably would look like a yeti when he didn't shave for three days at the age of 4.

Highlands HS (where Cris coaches) has the 2nd most wins in the history of HS football. I didn't know that until today.

Last year Highlands scored 849 points, 4th most all-time. The team that they knocked down to #5 is Big Sandy, TX 1975. Aside from scoring 829 points, that Big Sandy team had 11 shutouts, still tied for 5th most all time, and only gave up 15 points all year. Their offensive star was future Dolphin David Overstreet, defensive star was Lovie Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    Their offensive star was future Dolphin David Overstreet, defensive star was Lovie Smith.

Fred Taylor's son Kelvin has about 9,500 rushing yards right now, but I don't see him anywhere on there.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post

Fred Taylor's son Kelvin has about 9,500 rushing yards right now, but I don't see him anywhere on there.
    I would guess that they only put someone on the list after their career is over, but that's just a guess.

Glad you brought this up, I didn't know anything about Taylor until your post. Looks like he's either 15 or 1500 yards from Ken Hall's all-time record. Florida has him listed at 11,217 career yards, but the NFHS has him at 9673. The difference being that the NFHS only counts grades 9-12 and Kelvin Taylor ran for over 1500 yards as an 8th grader. He wasn't playing against other 8th graders, he was playing high school football in the 8th grade. When I was in the 8th grade I was 4'3" and could run 40 yards in just under 72 hours.