Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High school records - go waste some time

It's also pretty amazing how easy it is to forget things. I had to look at the list to remember the sad story of Ben Mauk. So many records or near records there and then he had his arm destroyed early in his career. I think it was against Syracuse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    It's also pretty amazing how easy it is to forget things. I had to look at the list to remember the sad story of Ben Mauk. So many records or near records there and then he had his arm destroyed early in his career. I think it was against Syracuse.
    I'd forgotten about that, too. Those Kenton teams threw the ball all over the place.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    I've seen most of the teams from northeast Ohio on this list play: Massillon, Canton McKinley, Steubenville. In addition, I've seen Kenton (as you might guess from the above comment), Piqua, Fostoria, and Berwick (PA). All are great, historic programs, obviously. Probably a few others that have some sort of individual record holder, too. One of my regrets after living two years in Lubbock is that I never made the couple-hour drive to Midland or Odessa to see a game at Lee or Permian.

They have Massillon Washington listed as 24-time Ohio State Champions. Interestingly, if I remember the banner on the press box at Paul Brown Stadium correctly, they only claim 22 there. Incidentally, they haven't won one since Ohio stopped awarding state titles based on a newspaper poll and set up a playoff, so it's not like they've won two while I wasn't paying attention. I believe they also claim 9 'national' titles, if memory serves.

My only real connection to this list is on the coaches lists. About halfway down the active and all-time coaches lists, you'll see the name Chuck Kyle at 290 wins through 2011. The closest I got to the field was the student section, but he was my freshman English teacher at St. Ignatius High School. I've been to a lot of St. Ignatius games. After looking it up out of curiosity, I can report that the school's all-time record is 637-282-32 through last season, and so was seven wins behind the last school (Dover, OH) included on the All-Time Wins List.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention Youngstown Cardinal Mooney coach Don Bucci. The program produced Bob Stoops and Bo Pellini. I got to see them in person about a decade ago. Seriously, they ran maybe four plays, but it must have worked if the guy won 306 games.

Augie Bossu is another Cleveland legend on this list. He was the coach of Benedictine about the time dad was born and retired when I was eight.

Obviously, there are tons of great coaches on this list. I recognize some of the other Ohio towns, too, that went deep into whatever division of the Ohio playoffs. But seriously, some guy from suburban New Orleans is 510-51-6 and he's only been coaching since 1969? And I knew Concord De La Salle had won 153 games in a row, but Bob Ladouceur is 384-25-3? Wow.
    @kocsan

Speaking of coaches, the reason I went to the site in the first place was to verify the Bengals info about A.J. Green's ranks in all-time catches, yards and TDs (good thing I did, they were inaccurate). I noticed that Green's coach, John McKissick (Summerville, SC) is the winningest coach in HS football history with 593 wins. He coached at the same school from 1952 until he retired last year.

Not sure how playoff games are counted in all-time records, but this happened in North Carolina.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...113150599.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Not sure how playoff games are counted in all-time records, but this happened in North Carolina.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...113150599.html
    I didn't think there was enough time in a game to score 184 points. That's nuts.

Alabama bound RB Derrick Henry broke the national HS rushing record tonight. 11,254 yards with one game remaining. Also holds the record for consecutive 100 yard games with 45.

Update on Kelvin Taylor. Now ranked 5th nationally with 10,314. There's no way he'll pass Henry at this point.
    Last edited by Docta; 11-17-2012 at 12:23 AM.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton