Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ben dinks and dunks

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    right now, they aren't better than 2011. Injuries have taken their toll on the defense and they haven't been deep enough to overcome them. Right now they are getting exposed in the middle of the field and Zimmer can't seem to do anything to stop it.

Longterm I think the offense will be ok, but they're going through massive growing pains. 7 of the 11 offensive starters are 25 or younger. 5 of those 7 are in their first or second year.
    Bengals' defense wasn't that bad last night. You are absolutely right that they were exposed in the middle, and they gave up some big plays (and long drives) at inopportune times, but they weren't overrun. The offense just can't hold it together for an entire game and can't keep the defense off the field for any decent length of time. The running game was awful, Dalton was inconsistent at best, the line was manhandled, the receivers dropped way too many easy catches and everyone who isn't AJ Green seemed disinclined to extend themselves on balls that weren't perfect. They looked like the Panthers minus the read/option factor. Different system, frighteningly similar results. Some of this just comes with the territory when you have a young team, but unfortunately the Bengals always seem to have a young team. I'm not worried about Dalton--he needs some fine tuning, but he's going to be a terrific player. I do worry, as always, about the Bengals' ability to build and keep a solid team around him and Green. This has been a problem with the organization for as long as I can remember.

The Steelers looked pretty darn good for an "old" team with lots of injuries. I think, as the saying goes, reports of their death have been greatly exaggerated (again). At this point, Big Ben just needs to shut up and play.

right now, they aren't better than 2011. Injuries have taken their toll on the defense and they haven't been deep enough to overcome them. Right now they are getting exposed in the middle of the field and Zimmer can't seem to do anything to stop it.

Longterm I think the offense will be ok, but they're going through massive growing pains. 7 of the 11 offensive starters are 25 or younger. 5 of those 7 are in their first or second year.
    on that note they also played the entire second half with a undrafted rookie center due to injury.

Now I'm not gonna complain about injuries with all the mess the steelers are going through, but an elite QB like Ben sure hides a lot of warts.

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    Very true, you better hope he doesn't get TOO good though, then he'll just hold out. He seems like the kind of guy who would do that.

I don't think so. He's really been nothing like he was in college.

Take the Willie Colon pancake last night (that was borderline personal foul IMO). College Burfict would have punched Colon in the face when he got up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Bengals' defense wasn't that bad last night. You are absolutely right that they were exposed in the middle, and they gave up some big plays (and long drives) at inopportune times, but they weren't overrun. The offense just can't hold it together for an entire game and can't keep the defense off the field for any decent length of time. The running game was awful, Dalton was inconsistent at best, the line was manhandled, the receivers dropped way too many easy catches and everyone who isn't AJ Green seemed disinclined to extend themselves on balls that weren't perfect. They looked like the Panthers minus the read/option factor. Different system, frighteningly similar results. Some of this just comes with the territory when you have a young team, but unfortunately the Bengals always seem to have a young team. I'm not worried about Dalton--he needs some fine tuning, but he's going to be a terrific player. I do worry, as always, about the Bengals' ability to build and keep a solid team around him and Green. This has been a problem with the organization for as long as I can remember.

The Steelers looked pretty darn good for an "old" team with lots of injuries. I think, as the saying goes, reports of their death have been greatly exaggerated (again). At this point, Big Ben just needs to shut up and play.

The Bengals offense certainly did the Defense no favors in the second half, but it wasn't just them that caused the defense to wear down (particularly the Run D late). All night the defense failed to get itself off the field and on the night the steelers converted 62% of their 3rd downs. The steelers were a couple drops away from being up 7-10 points at halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by vancemeek View Post
    In large part, I put last night's loss on the coaches. The game plan was horrid outside of the opening drive. I have no idea what Gruden was thinking on the final drive, with 90 yards to go, running it on 2nd and 10, showing no urgency whatsoever. Marvin made his usual nonexistent halftime adjustments and wasted challenges and timeouts at a fantastic rate. I really don't think this team will be a true contender with Marvin. He's had his chance, and he's just not getting it done.

Dalton: His pocket awareness is lacking right now. He's panicking, and making bad decisions. The INT was a bit fluky, as the ball fell out of his hands and just happened to bounce off of a helmet. Nonetheless, that's an INT in every game this season, and while I'm not ready to write him off, I'm not impressed.

Gresham: I'm ready to move on at TE. Gresham, first of all, is slowwwwwww. He might be slower than all of our o-linemen not named Smith. Secondly, he can't catch. He struggles to get his hands up to the ball. I thought he might have a breakout year this year, but instead, I hope he's gone after this season. He brings next to nothing.

Burfict: He's the steal of the entire offseason. This guy is around the ball on every play, getting in the backfield, showing terrific game speed and awareness. Rey should be put down, and Burfict the starting MLB next year. I'm stoked about him. He doesn't inexplicably fall down on a free run to the QB.

Secondary: Too slow. The Steelers have speed to burn at WR, and we have none at CB. Hall isn't fast. Jones is faster, but gets lost at time. Clements and Newman are old. Kirkpatrick is basically a wash for this season. I doubt he'll see the field.

Emmanuel Sanders: Bush league. I hope the league fines him and the team.

Agree on Gruden. Not just the 2 runs to start the final drive, but the shot deep to Green on 3rd and 4 (and that very well may be on Dalton). I think the real kicker though was Hawkins only playing 18% of the snaps. I know they wanted to lessen his load as he's been wearing down, but you can't lessen it THAT much with Binns and Jones already out.

Not ready to move on from Gresham. They still don't use him right to allow him to make big plays. I'll have to re-watch to see what exactly happened last night, but he was coming in off of a nice 3 game stretch. He's still technically on pace for career highs in every category. They just don't use him to his strengths enough.

Hawkins and Gresham have both been horribly used lately IMO. Gresham they were keeping him so close to the line he was only catching small stuff. So they started sending him deeper, but they didn't replace the short routes with anyone. That should be Hawkins' role, but instead they are sending Hawkins 10-20 yds downfield which just doesn't make sense for a quick 5'7" receiver. Hawkins should be a safety valve within 10yds of the line of scrimmage on every single passing play.

Blog Entries
    Agree on Gruden. Not just the 2 runs to start the final drive, but the shot deep to Green on 3rd and 4 (and that very well may be on Dalton). I think the real kicker though was Hawkins only playing 18% of the snaps. I know they wanted to lessen his load as he's been wearing down, but you can't lessen it THAT much with Binns and Jones already out.

Not ready to move on from Gresham. They still don't use him right to allow him to make big plays. I'll have to re-watch to see what exactly happened last night, but he was coming in off of a nice 3 game stretch. He's still technically on pace for career highs in every category. They just don't use him to his strengths enough.

Hawkins and Gresham have both been horribly used lately IMO. Gresham they were keeping him so close to the line he was only catching small stuff. So they started sending him deeper, but they didn't replace the short routes with anyone. That should be Hawkins' role, but instead they are sending Hawkins 10-20 yds downfield which just doesn't make sense for a quick 5'7" receiver. Hawkins should be a safety valve within 10yds of the line of scrimmage on every single passing play.
    I agree they don't necessarily use Gresham right, but it's his drops that are killing me. Those have nothing to do with how they are using him, and everything to do with him just not catching the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    I agree they don't necessarily use Gresham right, but it's his drops that are killing me. Those have nothing to do with how they are using him, and everything to do with him just not catching the ball.

I agree on the drops. He had one last night, sorta. IMO he should have caught it, but it was also right on him as soon as he turned around. One of the drawbacks of a QB with great anticipation I suppose.

Blog Entries
    IMO if the Bengals want to take their offense to the elite level they have to get a legit #2 WR. More than anything else in offense a #2 WR so teams can't do what the Steelers did to Green last night.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    IMO if the Bengals want to take their offense to the elite level they have to get a legit #2 WR. More than anything else in offense a #2 WR so teams can't do what the Steelers did to Green last night.
    In time IMO it will be Marvin Jones.

I also have no idea how Hawkins only plays 18% of the snaps last night when he's typically at or above 50% all season. Especially with Binns and Jones out. Sanu also showed better speed than I expected. Same with Whalen.

They can win with the guys they have, its just a really young group. Dalton is 2nd year QB. Green, Hawkins, Binns and Whalen are in their 2nd years. Jones, Sanu, and Charles are rookies. Gresham is only in his 3rd year.

So of your 10 receiving options (WR and TE), 4 are 2nd years, 3 are rookies, 1 is a 3rd year, and 1 is a 4th year (Tate). Quinn is also a 3rd year, but he's not really here to catch the ball.

I suppose we should give this thread back to Ben though, lol.