Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers 2012 thoughts

It's very clear after that loss, the Giants have no fire and no fight. They just call plays and run them with a lackluster attitude. They have fallen behind too many times this season. They need to play harder, earlier and more consistent and stop leaning on Eli to bail them out late in the game, because time ran out of them in this one. OVer nine games, the Giants have been uninspired to say the least. If they don't change the attitude, they could slide into a hole and miss the playoffs by 1 game.

On the flip side - Mike, you are overweening this Steelers team just a bit. The Steelers aren't the dominating powerhouse you paint them to be. They were firmly pounded by the Broncos, beat a bad Jets squad, lost to the junk Raiders and the Eagles gift wrapped a win. They lost to the lowly Titans, beat the terrible Bengals and Redskins and got over a flat Giants team.
    At the halfway point, the Steelers are 5-3 but they are still in the hole. They are 2-3 in the AFC and only 1-0 in the AFCN while the Ravens are 5-1 in the AFC and 3-0 in the division. The next 4 games are key AFC matchups. Let's see if they come out on the right side of those.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    It's very clear after that loss, the Giants have no fire and no fight. They just call plays and run them with a lackluster attitude. They have fallen behind too many times this season. They need to play harder, earlier and more consistent and stop leaning on Eli to bail them out late in the game, because time ran out of them in this one. OVer nine games, the Giants have been uninspired to say the least. If they don't change the attitude, they could slide into a hole and miss the playoffs by 1 game.

On the flip side - Mike, you are overweening this Steelers team just a bit. The Steelers aren't the dominating powerhouse you paint them to be. They were firmly pounded by the Broncos, beat a bad Jets squad, lost to the junk Raiders and the Eagles gift wrapped a win. They lost to the lowly Titans, beat the terrible Bengals and Redskins and got over a flat Giants team.
    At the halfway point, the Steelers are 5-3 but they are still in the hole. They are 2-3 in the AFC and only 1-0 in the AFCN while the Ravens are 5-1 in the AFC and 3-0 in the division. The next 4 games are key AFC matchups. Let's see if they come out on the right side of those.
    Curtis, I didn't paint them to be an overwhelming power house in any context other the giants game. Which they were. I didn't bring up the broncos, raiders, or titans games. If only you saw the back and forths between trumpet and I for those games. We called things like we saw them privately and publicly. Neither of us ever said anything out of line with reality. The line was garbage at doing everything , we couldn't run the ball, and the defense spit the bit in the 4th quarter to lose the game. I call it like I see it, even if were not doing well. I'm one of the most critical fans on the planet. Were in a hole, but one that's easily corrected, if we execute like we should.

I didn't say we were going to bulldoze the rest of our games and the playoff field and win the superbowl. I just simply said my opinion on what I saw, and what I saw makes me feel positive about the rest of the season. The team was finally clicking on both sides of the ball.

I know the season is only 50% complete for us. I know full well the important games for us happen the next 4 weeks. Our season boils down to the h2h games with the ravens, along with playing well in the others. I know anything can happen on any given Sunday.

All that said, my observation of us dominating the giants was in no way wrong, or suppositional about the remainder of the season. However I'm quite optimistic about the back half of the schedule. Look at it and tell me why I shouldn't be.

We face ONE team with a winning record, the ravens. A team that is ebbing, as were moving towards peaking. We play 5 of 8 at home, where we have one of the best home records in the league the last decade. Our 3 away games are vs the ravens, the cowboys, and the browns. None of those games gives me much pause, especially not the boys, and double especially the browns. We win in Ohio at a higher clip than Pittsburgh, and jerryland (added to the fickle nature of their fans, and a great number of fans showing up sporting black and gold as a result) doesn't inspire any fear. To be fair, the away game at Baltimore gives me some. Our rivalry is so hard fought, and so close. However, with how their team is playing right now, and factoring in I believe we beat them soundly in Pittsburgh in 2 weeks, I see no team that is favored vs Pittsburgh the rest of the season if we play to our capabilities. I'll adjust that opinion on a week to week basis, as the actual games play out.

At home we play the browns, Bengals, chargers, ravens, and chiefs. Is anyone selecting any of those teams in a straight up pick em' vs the steelers at home sans the ravens?

I'm just hoping we don't follow our familiar trend and play down to our competition. Please see the broncos, titans, and raiders games. I don't think we will. Haleys offense is clicking, both rushing and passing, as is the d sans polamalu.

Just having watched this team for so long, it seems the lesser practices have played a part. It took em nearly half a season to figure things out. When the teams premise is to be physical and you can't practice it, it takes a few games to figure it out at speed with pads on. Both units have gotten better as the season has drawn on. I'm just sayin...
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 11-06-2012 at 02:45 AM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

{Now that I got some new sneakers and a sweet handbag for my wife we can get back to steelers discussions}

Stupid spammers... Grrrrr!

The back half of the schedule is upon us. Compared to the other top 4 teams in the afc, we've got it easy. Houston and new England play 5 games vs teams with winning records. The ravens play 4. We have 2 (both against the ravens). That gives us the ability to make up the ground we need to to get a bye week and a home playoff game.

We've played great the last 3 weeks. However with that said, this Monday night game will speak volumes. It's not a trap game, the browns game in 2 weeks is. Sandwiched between a home and away with the ravens..

This week is a game we need to execute in, and win handily like we should. It might be viewed as a trap game after the win vs the giants, but it isn't. The giants game wasn't that close. It wasn't so hard fought as the ravens game next week should be. We pounded the giants. Plus I think Haley is super dialed in this week.

Also an interesting stat.. the saints this year have nearly allowed as many yards on defense in 8 games as the steelers did in 16 last year, on their march towards NFL infamy..
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    I agree that this is not a trap game. And even if it was, I'm not sure KC is good enough to fully execute upon their end of the trap. That said, I hate games like this. Last year they played down to the Chiefs in a game that felt more like a loss, and probably exposed them as much as any as being a fraud that wasn't likely to do any damage in the playoffs. The KC game last year (in prime time) is where the defenses inability to get off the field or create turnovers proved to be a real problem, especially when combined with a sloppy offensive effort.

This Steelers team feels much different right now. Yes they struggled vs. Tennessee and Oakland on defense, but the offense has been much sharper all year long, and the defense is playing much differently than they were early in the year. Yes Cincy and Washington aren't any good, and yes the Giants were likely effected by the aftermath of Sandy, but the defense has their swagger back. This is the first time they've figured out how to play without Polamalu, which also suddenly makes him a wild card for the team. I don't think they need him to succeed, and that's the first time I've said that in 8 years. However, if he can get himself to 100% (I have my strong doubts), it will make their defense even better, and will hopefully bring that added dimension of forcing turnovers back into the mix.

So I'll hang on my laurels that this is a different team this year than last. I think the defense keeps on keeping on, and the offense continues its efficient ways. Pittsburgh wins 31-6. But I still hate this game, because I see it as a no win situation. I'm rooting for health and relative dominance so that I can completely forget about this game by the time the season comes to an end.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Agreed the defense has figured it out without polamalu. Sounds weird saying that. Never thought I would. Everytime he's been MIA, the d hasn't been so good. Will Allen has been great in his stead. He's not going to make many splash plays, he's not making many tackles, he's not defensing many balls. He doesn't have to. He knows this scheme, and his role in it. He's been in the spot he's supposed to be in to support the others properly.

The last 2 chiefs teams we played we should have crushed, but we didn't. Anytime we play bad teams it always gives me pause. We play down too much to their level. Hopefully we change that this game. This offense hasn't played down this year (Haley has been masterful), hopefully the defense doesn't like it did vs the raiders and titans. It seems the d has its groove back.

Steelers 34-13. I'm giving them a garbage time td.

There's been lots of discussion about the rb by committee approach the past few days on the Pittsburgh rags, and fan sites. What are your thoughts?

I believe 100%, that all of our top 3 guys need carries to establish themselves in the game. It's a rhythm thing. Pick a lead dog and ride him. Splitting carries yields less with these guys. In the games redman and Dwyer split carries, the run game was ineffective. Pick a guy and put it on his back.

From what the lineman have said, they prefer the running style of redman and Dwyer over mendy. They're fired up about it. Dunno what I think yet about mendy being the guy once he's available. He's not this week, so ill reassess that next week...

Blog Entries
    We interrupt this message for an idiot {Jags fan from Bulgaria}. I love US and A!!!

I'm not a fan of the committee approach either. If Mendy is 100%, he probably deserves a crack, but he also deserves a fair assessment once he gets that crack. Based on what I know from them, Dwyer is currently the best 1st/2nd down back for this team. Redman is a fine option when Dwyer needs a breather, and a decent 3rd down back. Chris Rainey also deserves his standard role.

Mendenhall has the most talent, and the potential to provide the most splash at the position. But he's not currently the best fit, at least based on the way he's run in his last 16+ games. Dwyer gives them their most stability.

-Marion Motley

We won crazy ugly tonight with a back up qb who can't be trusted. The defense stood strong, and did their job. The rbs sucked when it was our best option. Like always we played down to our competition.. thankfully we won.

Hopefully Ben is ok. If he isnt, our season is done. The offense is 100% predicated on him. That was crazy apparent tonight. The offense was useless sans Ben. Thankfully the defense stood tall and bailed them out. They were excellent situationally tonight.

Unless the d gets to be situationally awesome with take aways were doomed without Ben. The offense is 100% useless without him. Here's hoping hes not that injured..

Blog Entries
    Baltimore week. Nuff said.

I'm in Pittsburgh this week for a double funeral, and extremely limited internet access, but will be gone by game time.

To be honest, I'm sick of the Leftwich talk. Not because it's wrong, it's not. But I don't understand why Batch isn't the backup for this team.

Leftwich was a better fit in the Arians scheme, but with 85-90% of the passing offense now occurring underneath, Batch is the more accurate passer, and better decision-maker with the compact/normal release that would give them the best chance to win. Am I missing something?

I'd guess maybe I am missing something, because no one should have a better pulse for this team than the current staff. So I'll trust them. But winning over Baltimore is going to require the running game to step up again (they will), the defense to hold fort (they will), and a QB who won't make mistakes, or put his receivers in position to make mistakes.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd feel a whole lot better about this game with pop gun Batch as opposed to Gigantic Gary Coleman.

-Marion Motley