Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy

My wife and I spent a few hours at KCI picking up 9 of my family members that I flew in from Delaware, NJ and Philly. Most of my family have already headed to Somerset PA where I have some extended family, and the rest have decided to just ride it out at home.

To all of you that live in the areas that will/may be affected by the storm, or have family and friends there, I hope you all are safe and sound when it's all over.

On a lighter note, I'll be at Arrowhead for the late game and I will try to pop in chat and say hello during the SNF game.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

Blog Entries
    Hope Everyone in the path & nearbys Stay Safe.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRidley; 10-27-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Blog Entries
    I'm in the path. Not completely sure what to expect. I'd expect that at some point I'll be off the grid for awhile. Hopefully the intensity dies, and the impact is as minimal as possible across the board.
    "So whose fault is it? It's all Trumpet's fault. Just because."

-Andy Freeland

That thing is a monster.

Hopefully the colder water helps sap strength as it moves north or I might have to make an unplanned trip back to NJ.

Hopefully this thing dissipates, and its of little impact. Since the north east is rarely impacted by hurricanes, ill give some advice I learned during the 5 I lived through during the time I lived in Louisiana.

-Stock pile water, canned goods, and stuff that doesn't need to be cooked to eat
    -Buy a battery powered radio.
    -Fill your car with gas and get 10gallons extra.
    -If you own a grill get some charcoal or a fresh gas tank. (If you don't have a grill, buy one)
    -Have alternate contact methods to get in touch with loved ones other than cell #'s. Even if you evacuate, and are in an area that's unaffected, your cell may not work if the mtso (mobile telephone switching office), where your number routes to is left down after the storm. My nola # didn't work after katrina, no ones in nola did. Get emails, and landline #'s (if possible). Get the numbers and emails of others they are staying or evacuating with. (This point is very important, trust me. Nothing worse than waiting and wondering about a loved one. This gives you a better chance at communication if the worst happens).
    -Know everyone's plans on evacuating or staying.
    -Buy flashlights, candles and extra batteries for the flash lights and radio.
    -Know where the local disaster relief area is. That way post storm if you need more water/food/ice you know where EXACTLY to go get it, so you're not wasting precious gas in your car doing so.
    -If you're staying, I'd emplore you to buy a generator and enough reserve gas to run it for 5 days, minimum.
    -If you're evacuating, throw out EVERYTHING in your fridge. If you lose power for an extended time, the disgusting mess that a fridge and freezer full of food leaves in your home and brain can never be erased. I'll never forget it. I threw all my food out when I left for katrina. My buddy tony, not so much. I went to his house a MONTH after we got back and he threw his fridge out after "attempting" to sanitize it to get the smell out, and the smell was still so strong of rotten flesh I lost it. It permeated his whole house. The vents, walls, carpet, etc.. 7 years later I can still smell it. Still makes me Wretch..
    -if you evacuate take all important documents, and keepsakes.
    -have cash on hand to buy things. If electricity is out, you won't be able to use cards for purchases. Stores will be open, but only able to take greenbacks.

Hopefully none of its necessary, but if the storm does hit let's hope everyone's stays safe. And hopefully this list helps someone out.
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 10-28-2012 at 03:30 AM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Toronto is far removed from where the worst part of this storm may hit - but they are already warning of to 6 inches of rain and winds up to 70 mph.

Scary stuff here, but for those on the eastern seaboard - please play it safe.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Quote Originally Posted by edave View Post
    That thing is a monster.

Hopefully the colder water helps sap strength as it moves north or I might have to make an unplanned trip back to NJ.
    I was reading that what makes this storm dangerous is that it feeds off of temperature fluctuations and not warm water.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

stay safe folks. Except Packa.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Toronto is far removed from where the worst part of this storm may hit - but they are already warning of to 6 inches of rain and winds up to 70 mph.

Scary stuff here, but for those on the eastern seaboard - please play it safe.
    I strongly doubt that. They're only calling for about 4-5 inches where I'm at...I'm about 45 miles north of where they expect it to make landfall. By the time it hits Toronto it should be pretty much dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    stay safe folks. Except Packa.
    I'll be sure to send you pics of my home and all of my possessions in ruins.