Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whos the next head coach to get the axe?

Whos the next head coach to get the axe?

I would have titled the thread head coach death watch, but given chuck pagano's precarious situation, I figured that would have been the wrong choice of words.

However we are firmly in the time of year coaches get fired.

Tops of the list is norv turner. How could it not be? They just lost 7-6 to the freaking browns. Really?? That screams coaching ineptitude. Especially against a lame duck coach, and a not so good roster in the browns.. spanos needs to step up and make this a double play. Coach and gm fired. SD has no chance at being good until they change Gm and hc.

Romeo crennel. They haven't had a single lead through 7 games in regulation, a record of futility that pre dates 1940. As an aside jamaal Charles touched the ball 5 times in that loss. Why??? Romeo isn't good, but pioli is on the hot seat too. He's made lots of bad personnel decisions. This debacle looks like a daily double too, just like the chargers.

Rivera in Carolina. After the long time gm got fired this week, its clear no one is safe. After the gag job the panthers pulled vs the bears, Rivera should be sweating. Richardson isn't getting any younger...

Jerrah needs to fire himself and the hc. Another late game case of field mis management of time. The giants won for the FORTH time in a row in jerryland. That's ridiculous.

Andy Reid and co are severely underperforming. Replacing the dc made no difference. Atlanta shredded them. Vick looked like the below average qb he is. Vick will get the hook after the next bad game. Nothing else beyond a deep playoff run will save Andy. He's fired after the season is over. This team isn't going to the playoffs.

Pat shurmur just got a win. Keeps him safe for now. It won't for long. I know banner and haslam said they weren't making changes till the offseason, but forgive me for not buying that. 2 bad games in a row and he's gone.

Chan gailey and the old guy gm (his name doesn't matter). Chan better keep it competitive, or he's probably gone. Old guy is def done.

Rex comes up too. His insistence on not changing qbs game after bad game by sanchez tells a story. Either the roster is light and has a ballyhooed back up who's not very good at playing qb or the coach isn't good. I think Rex is decent, however I think his roster totally sucks. It's due to tannebaums misguided use of funds to either get guys they didn't need, or pay guys too much. The jets have zero depth. Rex feels some heat but tannebaum gets fired.

There's no hc in nola, but there is a dc. One who def deserves to be fired. Worst defense in the history of the game after 7 games. Spags doesn't have the right guys to run his scheme, but he's been TERRIBLE at adjusting the scheme to fit who he has. If you get lemons, make lemonade. Spags has made motor oil.

I'm sure I left folks out. Chime in FP. I think norv is the first fired...
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 10-30-2012 at 02:32 AM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Norv, maybe schurmur. Crennel has a good chance too, but he's only been the HC for less than a year and was hired by the current GM so he may last the year.

That would be my top 3.

Other than Rex Ryan, I'd say that your list is complete.

Of the guys on the list (excluding Ryan), only Reid should get job offers down the road. Shurmur, Garrett and Rivera are first timers who can not handle the job. It happens.

More irritating for the fan base is when guys who've failed in their only other HC gig - Gailey and Crennel - are brought in to run a team. GRRR.

As for Shurmur, this is from the Cleveland Frowns blog: (a great read by the way). The writer was not fooled by the Browns win.
    Especially after watching a young and hungry Browns offense loaded with seven healthy first-and-second round picks and one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, under the guidance of a full complement of West Coast Offense gurus, come out against a Chargers defense that had been dumpster babied by every decent offense it had faced, and score one touchdown before punting on every single possession for the rest of the game
    ā€œIā€™ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.ā€ ā€” Pat Shurmur

The Chargers are going to keep Norv Turner for freaking ever. They will emerge from their annual swoon, win a few games at the end of the season and Norv will be back.
    Unless the Panthers really turn things around in the second half of the season--does anyone see that happening???--Rivera is history. I'd be a bit surprised if they fire him during the season. It seems more likely they'll decide on a new GM and let him choose a coach. Funny, last season Chudzinski looked like a genius and now I'm not even sure he'll be back next season. Things change quickly around here.

Anything less than a Super Bowl win and Andy Reid is gone. This team is super talented and should be at least 6-1 but are hanging out at 3-4. But saying they won't make the playoffs is premature, they are by no means done. They need to go 7-2 over the next 9 games to even have a shot at the playoffs. There needs to be a major change in the attitude though. They play with absolutely no fire, no heart, no fight. And that will always draw the ire of the fans. If you aren't in it to win it then you will get the boos and you've earned it.

Jason Babin needs to be benched, period. His moronic comments were basically saying he doesn't need to step it up because he is doing well. Also his comments are a big FU to the fans. Excuse me while I scrape that stink off my shoes. Babin is a one trick pony and everyone has learned the trick. Time to sit down. And ship out after the season. Bye bye phony.
    Trent Cole is a guy I like but he is underachieving badly this year. Time to sit him too.
    The safety play? Oh dear God they stink. Unfortunately, there is no depth so they stay where they are.
    Nnamdi is crippled by bad safety play.

To the offense, Mike Vick isn't a below average QB. He is talented but he isn't a pocket passer. Andy has him leashed to the pocket and he is getting killed. The o-line is young, inexperienced and just plain terrible. They have no idea how to slide protection or to pick up the blitz. I've watched alot of film from the last 7 games and the O tackles are doing kick slide blocks and that gets them out too wide allowing the inside move toward the QB. This is killing Vick. As a matter of fact, insert any QB and it's instant death. Vick has zero time to make reads, and even less time to set his feet.

Overall this team lacks leadership. No one has stepped up and taken on that role. No one is getting in the face of the players to motivate them. Where are the Dawkins, the Trotters and the Whites?
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

Blog Entries
    Two words: Marvin Lewis.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by vancemeek View Post
    we both know its not gonna happen.

Blog Entries
    Yeah. Wishful thinking
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    If only we could be so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by vancemeek View Post
    And there it is! Is this the first "Fire Marvin" post of the regular season or have I just overlooked the earlier ones? I would be shocked if they fired him during the season--if they didn't fire Lewis in the midst of the 2010 debacle, I sure as heck can't see them doing it this year. If the team doesn't get to 8-8 I think there is a remote chance they will actually move on; however, if they finish at .500, well, that's a perfectly mediocre record and it seems the organization has no problem accepting one playoff season followed by a mediocre or losing season--it's almost as if that's their goal. Perhaps after the futility of the 90s, it seems a lofty enough standard. If that is the mindset of management, firing the head coach wouldn't make much difference anyhow.