Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney buys LucasFilms

Disney buys LucasFilms

They now own all rights to the Star Wars and Indiana Jones brands. Also the special effects company Industrial Light & Magic.

Star Wars Episode 7 has been announced for a 2015 release with a new star wars film expected every 2-3 years.

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disn...-lucasfilm-ltd
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 10-30-2012 at 06:04 PM.

This is such a big announcement that it felt like an April Fool's joke at first.

Can someone bring me a vile of the Ebola virus? I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    Can someone bring me a vile of the Ebola virus? I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
    it's a great day for cinema.

Blog Entries
    I'll take whatever Disney thinks up over the last Indiana Jones movie and the last three Star Wars movies.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

why do people hate on Revenge of the Sith? It's probably the 2nd best of the 6, and has the best 30-minute stretch of the entire saga.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    why do people hate on Revenge of the Sith? It's probably the 2nd best of the 6, and has the best 30-minute stretch of the entire saga.
    I don't really have a problem with Episode III. My statement was more of an indictment on the two that came before it.

Blog Entries
    I may actually be sort of interested in the new generation of Star Wars, so good for them. Why not?

As an aside, I agree with Kaba. Episode III was the closest thing to an acceptable film of the first 3, although I would certainly not put it ahead of IV or V. Personally, I'd put VI ahead as well, but will admit that nostalgia could be playing into that.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I think a lot of the nerd-culture reaction to this is pretty silly. In the first place, the last decade's contribution to the series degraded it enough that I don't see how a Disney interpretation--a company with an interest in protecting the integrity of the brand, by the way, considering they just paid $4B to acquire it--could really hurt it. I'll probably take some grief for this, but I'm just going to go ahead and say that it's naive for fans to think that Star Wars is somehow exceptional and has to remain static or untouched. Iconic franchises such as Batman and Superman and so on, or literary classics such as the works of Shakespeare or Dickens or take-your-pick are open to a range of reinterpretations across media. I mean, Episodes IV-VI are the product of a particular time, and it would be foolish to remake them as films--though not quite as stupid as something like colorizing It's a Wonderful Life, which is bad because it distorts the original product by altering it directly in a way which was not intended--but that's not even on the table right now, as far as I know. This is the addition of a new episode, and if that somehow affects your appreciation of past art, well... I don't know what to tell you.

And, also, one thousand cocktails to Kaba: that last Indiana Jones movie was atrociously bad, logically incoherent, and uh...kind of racist.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I think a lot of the nerd-culture reaction to this is pretty silly. In the first place, the last decade's contribution to the series degraded it enough that I don't see how a Disney interpretation--a company with an interest in protecting the integrity of the brand, by the way, considering they just paid $4B to acquire it--could really hurt it. I'll probably take some grief for this, but I'm just going to go ahead and say that it's naive for fans to think that Star Wars is somehow exceptional and has to remain static or untouched. Iconic franchises such as Batman and Superman and so on, or literary classics such as the works of Shakespeare or Dickens or take-your-pick are open to a range of reinterpretations across media. I mean, Episodes IV-VI are the product of a particular time, and it would be foolish to remake them as films--though not quite as stupid as something like colorizing It's a Wonderful Life, which is bad because it distorts the original product by altering it directly in a way which was not intended--but that's not even on the table right now, as far as I know. This is the addition of a new episode, and if that somehow affects your appreciation of past art, well... I don't know what to tell you.

And, also, one thousand cocktails to Kaba: that last Indiana Jones movie was atrociously bad, logically incoherent, and uh...kind of racist.
    I fully agree. I'm actually quite happy about this. I am a big Star Wars fan and am really looking forward to seeing what Disney does with the next installment in the saga. It'll be interesting considering how many books and either media have been written about the future after the events of the movies have taken place, and how they will work either around or with that in the new films.