Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the NYG game be played at the Meadowlands on Sunday?

Blog Entries

Should the NYG game be played at the Meadowlands on Sunday?

This is starting to get a real pushback on Mike and Mike.

Especially in light of the Giants taking the Saints game during Katrina, it seems like the shoe is on the other foot and the NFL is much more leery of giving away a home game for NYC than for NO.

The situation isn't the same. Giants stadium isn't being used as a shelter for destitute citizens so the game can go on as planned. The NFL gave Steelers special permission for same day travel, and for what it's worth, it's not a major disadvantage.
    There are many, many people on the east coast dealing with life changing circumstances, so who gives a crap if the Steelers can't sleep in their hotel or where a game will be played.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

All major roads are open in NJ...East Rutheford wasn't creamed that badly. I don't see the big deal, the stadium is fine.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

But will the announcers make the "this game is what the city needs" comments continually?

Although the Steelers can not be too pleased about having to commute on the day of the game. I know it's a short flight and they will be traveling in comfort, but it seems like a big disadvantage.

I'd really like to get Cris' (or another former player's) take on this.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

The only problem I see is getting fans in the seats. NJ Transit just reenstated service, there's a major gas shortage, and many fans are still without power making print-out tickets difficult.

The crowd may be sparse but the majority of fans live in the immediate area, and unless travel routes are compromised there should be a decent turnout. It's quite possible that they make it general admission and fill the field level seats first.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    But will the announcers make the "this game is what the city needs" comments continually?
    I believe its supposed to be Simms calling the game, but I am not certain on that. That sounds like a selling point he would advertise. I generally find the game on satellite radio and listen to that while I watch if the tv commentators are boobs.

either way, I hope they don't cram the "Giants save NYC" crap down our throats like they do for the Saints. I'm already sick of Breesus Christ, and I don't need the Book of Eli.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Although the Steelers can not be too pleased about having to commute on the day of the game. I know it's a short flight and they will be traveling in comfort, but it seems like a big disadvantage.
    I'm not sure where the Giants usually stay the night before but their hotel is likely having issues too making the night before sleeping arrangements something of a draw.

I think the Steelers could have found a new hotel to stay in but then they'd need a whole new arrangement for security, meeting rooms, transportation, buffets, etc. and I guess they think it is less hassle to just drop in on game day.

I'd be worried about delays coming into Newark. That airport is unreliable on good days.

Given the scheduling issues and the .57% home field advantage, I think it makes sense to keep the game in NJ. Sandy was no Katrina, not by a long shot.

There's a basketball game tonight in Brooklyn, some of the players are pissed they're playing...one guy (forget who) donated his $209,000 game check to the relief fund (and we thought NFL players were overpaid). The mayor of NYC canceled the NY Marathon...we got precedents both ways, negative PR either way...