Thread: The Death of a Chicago Firefighter

Blog Entries

The Death of a Chicago Firefighter

Late last week, a CFD FF was killed in action, in a flashover. Line of Duty deaths are already tragic enough, but this one was especially sad. 32 year veteran of the department, recently promoted to captain, first shift back since Furlough. Just devastating. When the facebook community first heard that 2 were sent to the hospital, prayers were immediately sent out. It wasn't just because that's what a human should do, but because in my neighborhood, there's an 80% chance he lives in the neighborhood, and a 50% chance you know him. Sure enough, he was from the neighborhood next to mine. Reported dead almost immediately, you then begin to read the tributes. Once I saw his face on the news, you could tell what kind of a guy he was. Typical South Side Irish, loud, rambunctious, fun loving. In the CFD, they have a saying that 'Everyone Comes Home'. Something tells me Herbie is at home now. Rest In Peace, and thank you, for you are a hero.

3-3-5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7561587.story
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

Blog Entries
    Well said Danny. These guys risk their lives on a daily basis to save others. We idolize guys like Tom Brady or Calvin Johnson, but the people who serve and protect every day are the real heroes. It doesn't get said enough. RIP.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Thanks, Danny. Brave men, firefighters. And every one of them that I've met has been a real standup guy, the sort of person you're proud to know.

Nice tribute.

Blog Entries
    The funeral was streamed on the news websites live...according to friends, the wake had a line lasting an unreal 5 hours. People from our grammar schools stood outside forming a line as the procession passed, and FF from NY, Boston, and even London came out to show their respect. Nothing fits this about my neighborhood more than Springsteen's newer song, "We Take Care of our Own". Thanks for the kind words!
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions