Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Nba 2012-2013

Blog Entries
    Funny thing about tonight?: Both of Phil Jackson's old teams faced off against each other. Of course the Lakers lost & Pau Gasol was benched. More embarassment at a fever pitch.

Also, Maloofs sell Sacramento Kings to SEA based investor group. Wouldn't be funny if they decided to hire Phil Jackson? LOL!! Just a funny thought but you never know!
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRidley View Post
    Also, Maloofs sell Sacramento Kings to SEA based investor group.
    I was in Sacto when the Kings arrived. That town has been nuts for the Kings from the day they got there. Even the latter-day Maloofs couldn't completely kill the passion.

I hated that a great market like Seattle lost their team. But I hate this even more. The NBA has now, twice, allowed well-supported teams to be torn from their market. It sucks.

Seattle moving to Oklahoma City is a stain on Stern's record. That is probably why he is somewhat behind the push here. The NBA can't really expand right now. It doesn't have the talent to support 30 teams, much less 32 teams. So it has to put teams in markets by moving them.

I lived in Sacramento for a short period of time and I can tell you that they loved their Kings through thick or thin. Arco would always be sold out even when the Kings were winning like 25 games. Certainly the Maloofs have damaged the Kings' brand in Sacramento, but the fans still love the team and would be heartbroken if they move.

It's tragic because Sacramento will never, ever get another team. And the fans did nothing wrong. This is a fear that Bills fans have hanging over their heads as the Bills extort hundreds of millions of dollars from the county and state in return for a 7 year commitment.

Classic story - a bad team supported through thin and a couple of thick years removed because there are greener pastures elsewhere. And undoubtedly Seattle fans will support the team - who knows, maybe they'll be called the "Sonics" and they can pretend that the previous team's move never happened. Call it the "Brown Delusion."
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    The difference between the Kings and the Sonics is that David Stern and the NBA did not conspire with the new ownership group to move the Kings out of Sacramento. Clay Bennett lied to the fans and everybody else, David Stern knew his intentions all along, and the two of them worked together in some capacity to help facilitate the move to OKC. At least here, there's maximum transparency.

It absolutely sucks that Kings fans now, however, are left without a team. I cannot personally speak for how good of a fanbase they are as some of you can, but I remember watching the video of Kings' local commentators Grant Napear and Jerry Reynolds signing off at the end of the 2011 season when it was believed that would be the final game the Kings would play in Sacramento. It was very emotional and assuming that's a reflection of how Kings fans feel about their team, it's a very deep shame that they will soon be without one while Charlotte and Indiana continue to keep theirs.

That being said, Sacramento has been over the past few years, one of the teams in the league that struggles most to sell tickets. They are 28th so far this season, 22nd last season, and 26th the year before that. So when discussing which teams in the NBA are the most prime candidates for relocation, the Kings are definitely one of them.
    Last edited by KabaModernFan; 01-22-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Sad business.

It was evident early on that the Magoof's wanted to move the Kings to Vegas. Sadly that Mexican stand off ends with the entire Maloof enterprise in tatters and the Kings heading to Seattle.

I spent the majority of my life in Sactown and while the team is and was well loved the thick and thin support is a myth. I used to relish the random Tuesday night game in the entire decade of the 90's against anyone but the Lakers or Bulls when I would go up to the box office about 5 minutes before the tip, buy the cheapest ticket available, walk inside Arco and promptly find a nice seat in the lower bowl without anyone ever asking me to verify that was where I was supposed to be sitting.

As for the luke warm attendance numbers lately...can you blame the fans? Who wants to continue to give money to these knuckleheads who are hell bent on removing the team from Sacramento?
    If the Magoofs truly gave a darn about the community and their current bussiness partners (roughly 35% of the team is locally owned) they would allow for a counter offer from an investor keen on keeping the team in Sac. Of course that $30 Million non-refundable downpayment from Seatlle is pretty sweet. Money talks.
    Plus, the tickets aren't exactly cheap, the players refuse to pass the ball and the building is a barn. HD, comfy couch, private bathroom and regularly priced food and beer outweigh the communal Arco experience.
    If the 49'ers success offends you...so be it.
    Namaste...*****es.

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    It absolutely sucks that Kings fans now, however, are left without a team. I cannot personally speak for how good of a fanbase they are as some of you can, but I remember watching the video of Kings' local commentators Grant Napear and Jerry Reynolds signing off at the end of the 2011 season when it was believed that would be the final game the Kings would play in Sacramento.
    I used to work with Grant. Off-camera the guy swears more than anybody I've ever known. F-bombs everywhere. Yet, as far as I know, he has never slipped on air. I have no idea how he does that.

Behold the fearsome Pelican!

Blog Entries
    Canada ho! The Raptors have acquired Rudy Gay from the Grizzlies in a three-way trade that also sends semi-useful back-up center Hamed Haddadi to Toronto. Memphis acquired Ed Davis and Jose Calderon from the Raptors, and then proceeded to ship Calderon back up to Detroit in exchange for Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye.

Memphis may have lost the most talent in this deal, but I think they come out of it the best too. They shed Gay's contract after realizing they needed to free up more money, and they knew they were overpaying Gay when they gave him his current contract in the first place. They still have one of the best frontcourt combos in the league in Randolph and Gasol, plus Conley and Tony Allen are still around. Not to mention that Ed Davis finally has become a valuable player this year, and should serve as a more than viable replacement to the also recently departed Marreese Speights.

Detroit gets to add an actual point guard to their roster in Calderon, who can hopefully give Brandon Knight some guidance on how to play the position, and they get someone else to take Prince's contract. He's not much of a contributor on offense anymore, but Prince is still one of the best defensive small forwards in the league. In this regard, he should fit right in with the team currently allowing the fewest points per game in Memphis.

And Toronto? Well...Toronto gets Rudy Gay and all of his shooting, for better or for worse. Calderon is still an extremely effective point guard, but with Kyle Lowry also on board they don't really need him. His expiring contract was valuable enough to snag Gay at least, and even though he's a high-volume/low-efficiency scorer, Gay is still quite a dynamic small forward.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01