Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN closing in on BCS Playoffs for 7.2 BILLION dollars.

Blog Entries

ESPN closing in on BCS Playoffs for 7.2 BILLION dollars.

All those who thought a playoff system might make a little money....YOU WON!!

If ESPN lets this slip through their fingers. NBC SPORTS better be on Mike Slives doorstep at 12:01 AM with a dumptruck of $100s.

Blog Entries
    Just to recap, the Big10 or SEC are going to make about $5ooM / yr off of football. That's just counting Conference TV Money. Not tickets or merchandising. Just as recently as 5ish years ago, they were making $50M. The BCS needs to start up a Basketball tournament and take another $200M per PowerConference, you know...for pin money.

So when are the students going to unionize and strike?
    Last edited by darvon; 11-13-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Preferrably right before the playoffs.

The sad thing is, the students have no advocates whomsoever. The money is obscene.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    The sad thing is, the students have no advocates whomsoever. The money is obscene.

This is really a tired argument. Is the money obscene? Sure. However, let's stop pretending the players get nothing.

Let's use Te'o as an example since his figure was brought up yesterday. He gets $57,000 a year in tuition, and room & board. On top of that he also gets a free meal plan, and probably gets his books paid for as well. That's about another $5,000. Every player also has access to petition the NCAA for regular spending money.

About the only thing I'd like to see happen, and I'd assume they pay for it while they're on the team already, is that I'd like to see some kind of health insurance for a year or two for those players who don't make it professionally. I.e. if they have a football injury that lasts longer than after they graduate (ie lingering problems), the NCAA will provide say 2 years of benefits for treatment provided they don't have an NFL, CFL, or any other sports "job" to foot the bill. Basically I'm talking about the guys who don't have a post college football future but may have after effects from it.

I know some will argue that the players don't care about the education and that going to college is just a means to an end. I have no sympathy for those players. If they're given a free education that they can use after football is gone and they choose not to make the most of it, that's their own fault. I've been a college advisor, I know many people where a free education would be like winning the lottery.
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 11-17-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    This is really a tired argument. Is the money obscene? Sure. However, let's stop pretending the players get nothing.

Let's use Te'o as an example since his figure was brought up yesterday. He gets $57,000 a year in tuition, and room & board. On top of that he also gets a free meal plan, and probably gets his books paid for as well. That's about another $5,000. Every player also has access to petition the NCAA for regular spending money.

About the only thing I'd like to see happen, and I'd assume they pay for it while they're on the team already, is that I'd like to see some kind of health insurance for a year or two for those players who don't make it professionally. I.e. if they have a football injury that lasts longer than after they graduate (ie lingering problems), the NCAA will provide say 2 years of benefits for treatment provided they don't have an NFL, CFL, or any other sports "job" to foot the bill. Basically I'm talking about the guys who don't have a post college football future but may have after effects from it.

I know some will argue that the players don't care about the education and that going to college is just a means to an end. I have no sympathy for those players. If they're given a free education that they can use after football is gone and they choose not to make the most of it, that's their own fault.
    Well said. College players ARE being played, just in a different way than pro players. Time to drop that argument.

Blog Entries
    If I can find the article again I'll post it. I did a paper on this last year. Maybe not the majority, but a large percentage of football players, even with scholarships still fall something like 3,000 dollars short of what they really need to survive at college. Most of these scholarships don't cover nearly what you think they. Many don't cover meal plans or books.

I know some will argue that the players don't care about the education and that going to college is just a means to an end. I have no sympathy for those players. If they're given a free education that they can use after football is gone and they choose not to make the most of it, that's their own fault. I've been a college advisor, I know many people where a free education would be like winning the lottery.
    Sorry, that's just not a good argument.

The kids are basically professional athletes... without the pay. They can't negotiate for their true worth, and they don't get to put any cash in their pockets.

I think some folks believe that if you put a little piglet in a classroom, he can earn a college degree. Well, that's not so. Just because a football player is enrolled in college, doesn't mean he's the kind of guy who can take advantage of his opportunity. Some people just aren't very bright. That's not a crime. It's just a fact of life.

To me, this is so self-evident that I have to think that those who say every single college football player has a chance to earn his college degree, only believe it to make themselves feel better about the exploitative relationship schools have with their athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Sorry, that's just not a good argument.

The kids are basically professional athletes... without the pay. They can't negotiate for their true worth, and they don't get to put any cash in their pockets.

I think some folks believe that if you put a little piglet in a classroom, he can earn a college degree. Well, that's not so. Just because a football player is enrolled in college, doesn't mean he's the kind of guy who can take advantage of his opportunity. Some people just aren't very bright. That's not a crime. It's just a fact of life.

To me, this is so self-evident that I have to think that those who say every single college football player has a chance to earn his college degree, only believe it to make themselves feel better about the exploitative relationship schools have with their athletes.
    its only not a good argument because you don't agree with it.

its only not a good argument because you don't agree with it.
    No, it's not a good argument for the reasons I gave. If you disagree with what I wrote, you ought to explain why.

Do you earnestly believe that every college football player is bright enough and has a good enough primary education, to earn a college degree?

I went to a pretty nice university with a nationally ranked basketball team (it won the NCAA title a few years after I left.) And I can assure you that a high percentage of that small squad wasn't really college material. If that's the case with a tiny basketball squad, what are the odds with a massive football squad?

It's really not open to discussion. It is self-evident.