Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rank Your "GM"

Blog Entries

Rank Your "GM"

There is one person on your team who is the personnel/architect of the team. Sometimes it is the coach, sometimes it is the GM, sometimes it is the Prez/CEO, sometimes it is the owner.

I don't know all the "GM"s of the teams, You gotta pick one. Name him (her?) and make a comparison against one other known GM. We will amalgamate the opinions and form a single Ranked List of the "GM"s.

Me:

Lions (Martin Mayhew) > Cowboys (Jerry Jones)

Blog Entries
    Mike Brown <<< Everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    Mike Brown <<< Everyone else

he's pretty near the bottom, but I don't know that he'd be last. He's been better than Pioli or Holmgren lately, better than Gene Smith, and maybe even better than Rick Smith in San Diego.

Not a Jets fan but Mike Tannenbaum has got to be near the bottom of the pack.
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

Holmgren = Nix
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

T.Thompson>every armchair GM...he chose Rodgers over Favre

on a serious note, Thompson probably just below the top(needs one more 4 year period at high level in my mind), not every decision has been right, but has a good track record of maintaining, adding, and letting go correctly. His soft spot appears to be talented indivduals who have injuries in college, and good special team players who are defensive liabilities when subbing on defense due to injuries
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

I'll compare the local guy, Thomas Dimitroff, to the Kansas Chiefs guy, Scott Pioli.

Both are from the New England/Belichick tree. In the cold country, Pioli was the more celebrated of the two. Pioli was the big catch everyone wanted, the guarantor of success.

We'll never know how New England really operated back then. But everyone was wrong.

Dimitroff was the catch. He drafts well and he's willing to be bold when the timing is right. He values character and a high motor. His flaw is a willingness to draft injury-prone players. And he hasn't yet fixed the offensive line, which has been a problem since before he got here. Overall, very high marks.

Pioli is a bust as big as Dontari Poe. That's pretty big. He doesn't understand QB's. He doesn't understand coaches. His drafts let him down. And he brings with him a paranoid, secretive style that has alienated his own staff as well as the fans. He's on his second coach and the losing continues, so the problem isn't the guy on the sidelines. The problem is the guy upstairs.

I wouldn't call Dontari Poe a bust. It's way to early to do so. He has 16 tackles, 11 solo and 5 assists. He is projected for 28 tackles, 20 solo and 9 assists.

Let's compare that to a couple guys that are pretty good.
    Casey Hampton's first season. 22 tackles, 9 solo and 13 assists. He also had 1 sack.
    Haloti Ngata's first season. 31 tackles, 13 solo, 18 assists , 1 sack.

This by no means forecasts Poe to be the same quality as Hampton or Ngata. But it also shows that he shouldn't be crowned a bust at this point in his career. Romeo has groomed a bunch of defensive standouts, and I believe he is doing a good job with Poe.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragar View Post

on a serious note, Thompson probably just below the top(needs one more 4 year period at high level in my mind), not every decision has been right, but has a good track record of maintaining, adding, and letting go correctly. His soft spot appears to be talented indivduals who have injuries in college, and good special team players who are defensive liabilities when subbing on defense due to injuries
    Unlinke a lot of fans, I started thinking Thompson was sane when he got rid of Favre. Still being in HS when he first came, I couldn't believe he would cut/let go of Darren Sharper, Mike Flanagan, Marco Rivera, and Mike Whale. His drafts seemed to ignore even the most basic needs (A team with no solid runner or TE and an aging No 1 WR and a piss poor OL and he takes JUSTIN FREAKING HARRELL?!?!?). When he got rid of Favre, that's when the light went on in my head. He was a businessman, not a fan. Few players were ever safe. Right now the only guys I'd say are safe are Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Sitton, Matthews, and Raji. For that fact alone, he's in the top 10.

I would contrast him to Jerry Jones. Jones goes with his gut and gets little input from anyone it seems. This leads to some very talented players and it makes me think that Tony Romo happened completely by accident. He's obviously not BAD, but he gets in the way of the obvious sometimes. Thompson on the other hand isn't afraid to cut ties with anyone...including a 3-time MVP future hall of fame QB.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ragar View Post
    Ted 'Trader' Thompson, Green Bay Packers > than many

Seems to run a great scouting organization. Draft misses tend to be of the injury prone, not can't really play variety (although really, what's the difference?) Very consistent with UFA signings. Rarely makes trades (I'd bet he's not thinking about McDonald right about now, that's left to us paranoid fans). Can't find an upper echelon RB to save his life.

Had a great run in Seattle with their scouting org before taking the Packers GM position. The next few years are his last go 'round and could be interesting. Did he make the right moves to make up for the loss of Reggie McKenzie? His relationship with McCarthy can't be undervalued, they're a good team.