Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's hear it for throwbacks

Let's hear it for throwbacks

The Steelers will be wearing throwback jerseys on Sunday Night.

From the Steelers press release this week: "The Steelers chose the 1934 jersey because it was a unique part of Steelers history, and it was a uniform that had not been worn since that season."

Let's take a look at that particular 'unique part of Steelers history'. First, and most nitpicky, it's not a part of Steelers' history at all, they were known as the Pirates in 1934. The Pirates were 2-10 in 1934, finished last in their division, were outscored 51-206 and were shutout in 6 of their 12 games.

One of their shutout losses was to the St. Louis Gunners in that franchise's 1st and most important victory. It was also that franchise's last and least important victory. In less than a month, after giving up 61 points in losses to the Packers and Lions, the St. Louis Gunners went the way of the dodo, the milkman and Kardashian self respect.

At least be honest Steelers, you are wearing these jerseys because they are the most obnoxious. And as every 4-year old knows, there's no such thing as bad attention.

/rant

I love when Andy goes into research mode and digs this stuff out and goes on a rant. While I agree that the unis are pretty obnoxious, I believe it is the socks combined with the jerseys that make them the most egregious fashion statement ever. Downright painful on the eyes!

You've been missed here, Freeland. Nice to have you back.
    Some people think the name of the Washington Redskins football team is offensive. There’s an easy way to fix that. You can just drop the word ‘Washington.’ ~ Ted Cruz

Yick. Perhaps it is another attempt at finding competitive advantage by subconsciously making the opponent avoid looking directly at your guys?

The locals have called Heinz Field the Mustard Palace. I've always referred to it as the Bee Hive, and with those uni's Bee Hive is more apt. But really, they are ugly.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

The Steelers just wore their awful throwbacks. Why do we have to endure a second assault on our sensibilities?

I'm a big fan of the "good" throwbacks...but hte issue is that "good" is in the eye of the beholder and not every eye beholds as mine.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

Throwbacks work only when:

A) They are used sparingly
    B) They invoke some sort of nostalgia (ex: Bucs Creamsicles, Pats throwbacks)
    C) They are a really cool design OR they are similar to the original

Most Steelers fans never saw the Steelers as the Pirates nor do those jerseys appear in any popular clip that may have enticed fans to start watching. The steelers have been basically static with their uniforms. These along with the Eagles powder blue and yellow throwbacks, the NY Titans throwbacks, and the Pack's blue with a big gold circle are the most offensive to me. I do love the Creamsicles, the old Oilers uniforms, and the Cowboys throwbacks.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    I have a Love/Hate relationship with the Pats throwbacks.

On the love side - they look great! And Pat Patriot (which is the name of the minuteman on the helmet, and the team Mascot both), is just cool.
    On the hate side - we wore those Uniforms in a whole lot of really really really bad years. Whenever I see them on the team, I think it's bad Karma, and usually the games are very close.

I'd rather see us wear the 2001 Pats uniforms as our 'throwbacks'
    "Amy is happily drinking the tears of Broncos fans." Giantsfan97.

I like throwbacks, all of them, but the Steelers color choice seems a bit over the top for the times. Picking the horizontal version (over the previous vertical) and adding stripes to the stockings is accurate but does leave the impression that you're watching a chain gang. After a couple hours I feel like my eyes will bleed if I don't find something a little less contrasty to look at.

Nobody's mentioned Denver's brutal symphony of brown a few years ago. Mercifully axed.