Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Week 11 open thread

NFL Week 11 open thread

NBC bumped out with a song I hadn't heard since the 70's. I had to download Shazam to figure out what it was. Magic Man, by Heart. I freaking searched for a Heart song. I hang my head in shame. Pretty good song, though. Sweet start. Next up, Gary Wright and Love is Alive. Dear god, help me. Another sweet opening riff, tho.

Man, those Raiders truly suck. I took NOLA in the Survivor pool. I was a bit nervous, hate taking a road team. No worries, mate. The Raiders stink worse than a Richmond oil refinery.

Atlanta didn't exactly bounce back from their first loss the way you'd expect of a top team. Every tipped Ryan pass turned into a pick. Arizona is playing great defense this season. But the Falcons shouldn't have been in a dogfight.

I try really hard to not hero worship. All people are flawed. But I am having a serious problem with Peyton Manning. The guy is just all-around wrapped just right.

How on earth have some of you picked 5 upset winners? Man, I struggle with that. Colts got whompadoodled (new word) today. New England -- and I hate writing this -- has a little roll thing going.

The Lions gave it a shot. That sound you hear is a fork beginning its descent into their season.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    NBC bumped out with a song I hadn't heard since the 70's. I had to download Shazam to figure out what it was. Magic Man, by Heart. I freaking searched for a Heart song. I hang my head in shame. Pretty good song, though. Sweet start. Next up, Gary Wright and Love is Alive. Dear god, help me. Another sweet opening riff, tho.
    When did they play that them? I missed it entirely.

Atlanta didn't exactly bounce back from their first loss the way you'd expect of a top team. Every tipped Ryan pass turned into a pick. Arizona is playing great defense this season. But the Falcons shouldn't have been in a dogfight.
    Winning ugly is part of the deal. The Packers sputtered along for the most part against the Cards 2 weeks ago, they have a legitimate defense and no QB.

I try really hard to not hero worship. All people are flawed. But I am having a serious problem with Peyton Manning. The guy is just all-around wrapped just right.
    Denver is playing well, Manning is a big part of why.

How on earth have some of you picked 5 upset winners? Man, I struggle with that. Colts got whompadoodled (new word) today. New England -- and I hate writing this -- has a little roll thing going.
    We're up to 7, I have a whopping 2 (picking on Tuesday is interesting). And yeah, the Patriots have a lot of things going for them. Losing Gronk for an extended period of time is not one of them.

The Lions gave it a shot. That sound you hear is a fork beginning its descent into their season.
    I think the fork hit the plate. At 4-6 they're 4th in the NFCN and tied for 11th in the NFC with the Cardinals and Redskins.

Mike Tomlin mismanaged the clock, the timeout with 2:04 to go was dumb.

I'm not sure if we really showed how wide open David Gilreath was on the next to last play. He was WIDE open. No one within 10 yards, walk in game winning TD. Leftwich saw him, just didn't have enough arm left to get it there.

One of the best plays of the day was Fairley's non-body slam of Rodgers.

cool, a proper thread to post this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post

I'm not sure if we really showed how wide open David Gilreath was on the next to last play. He was WIDE open. No one within 10 yards, walk in game winning TD. Leftwich saw him, just didn't have enough arm left to get it there.

yea leftwich looked spent. There seemed to be someone back there but I dunno if they would have gotten there in time. I'm sure you had a better view.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post

He was trying to steal an extra play prior to the 2 minute warning, but ultimately, that 4 seconds would have been better served on the other side to account for the possibility of a penalty.

I was glad he played it right at 2:50. Too many coaches would have hesitated, called a TO at 2:42, then had the clock go to 2 minutes after the next play, and lose a play in the process. That's always maddening to me.

His strategy would have worked if not for the offsides penalty.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    He was trying to steal an extra play prior to the 2 minute warning, but ultimately, that 4 seconds would have been better served on the other side to account for the possibility of a penalty.

I was glad he played it right at 2:50. Too many coaches would have hesitated, called a TO at 2:42, then had the clock go to 2 minutes after the next play, and lose a play in the process. That's always maddening to me.

His strategy would have worked if not for the offsides penalty.

yea I couldn't believe what he was thinking. It was only going to save him 4 seconds, where it could have saved them 30 after the 2 minute warning.

Blog Entries
    Also, to be fair on the Gilreath play, Batch wouldnt have gotten it within 15 yards of where An injured Leftwich was able to get it. That said, I still feel like Batch is the better fit for this offense. Leftwich was able to get the ball outside, and periodically downfield, but the short stuff was essentially obsolete. He's one of the few who can't make the easy throws.

I hope the Steelers do what's right with Ben. If he needs to go on IR, so be it. But last night proved his worth to this football team. If he can make it back healthy, the Steelers are as good as anyone in the AFC. Even without the ability anymore to consistently force turnovers or pressure the QB.

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

yea I couldn't believe what he was thinking. It was only going to save him 4 seconds, where it could have saved them 30 after the 2 minute warning.
    But again, that's only because of the penalty. Without the penalty, the Ravens are punting out of the 2 minute warning. I'm sure the threat of accounting for a potential penalty didn't even cross his mind. It didn't cross move at the time. I was just glad he handled the TO wisely before that play.

In the end, I'd guess he figured even the potential of just an extra 4 seconds could be hugely beneficial. Proper execution would have made all of this moot.

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    But again, that's only because of the penalty. Without the penalty, the Ravens are punting out of the 2 minute warning. I'm sure the threat of accounting for a potential penalty didn't even cross his mind. It didn't cross move at the time. I was just glad he handled the TO wisely before that play.

In the end, I'd guess he figured even the potential of just an extra 4 seconds could be hugely beneficial. Proper execution would have made all of this moot.

even if there hadn't been a penalty it was only saving them 4 seconds. They should have let the clock run down to 2 minutes. Then out of the break it would have been 3rd and 7. Either the Ravens throw it and its incomplete, or they run it and then pittsburgh could call their timeout.

Calling a timeout at 2:04 only saves them 4 seconds regardless of the subsequent penalty.