Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things I believe...

Blog Entries

Things I believe...

...about the Browns:

(1) When CBS shows me Jimmy Haslam watching the Browns in an owner's box, I am absolutely certain he wants to strangle Pat Shurmur just as much as I do in my living room.
    (1a) There is a strong correlation between coaches who cannot manage critical game situations and coaches who call their own offensive plays. Exhibit A: Pat Shurmur. Exhibits B-D: Andy Reid, Norv Turner, Jason Garrett. (Hey wait, are any of these guys actually good playcallers?)
    (1b) Clearly, the chart is too complicated.
    (1c) Jimmy Haslam became a billionaire owning truck stops. If there's anyone in the league innovative enough to actually hire the Simmons-endorsed Madden dork to stand next to his coach on the sideline, it's him.
    (1d) Realistically, this could be the new quality control assistant that guys like Walsh started hiring back in the '80s. In addition to managing timeouts, deciding when to go for two, and when it is appropriate to pass and run in late game situations, he could specifically concentrate on the upcoming opponent's tendencies in similar situations.
    (1e) I've seen my team lose enough of these games to believe that this is important enough of a task to actually pay someone a wage to handle it.
    (2) The Browns are very young, have been very unlucky and even less healthy this season.
    (2a) The Browns had their 'starting' defensive line for the first time all season yesterday. They sacked Romo seven times.
    (3) In spite of that, they would be 5-5 if they had a competent head coach.
    (3a) Or maybe a Madden dork...
    (4) Josh Gordon and Greg Little have grown up as professional receivers this year.
    (5) When Brandon Weeden forgets to be scared of throwing interceptions, he's a pretty decent quarterback.
    (6) Trent Richardson is still a monster.
    (6a) He will not be effective in a second half if we automatically give him ball on every 1st and 10.
    (7) If they add depth in the secondary and a pass rusher, this team could be surprise contender for a wild card next season.
    (7a) Buster Skrine should never be counted on to be more than a nickelback, and he should actually trust his speed in coverage.
    (7b) Sheldon Brown is as old as my dad and has no business starting at cornerback on any NFL roster, let alone covering Dez Bryant or Miles Austin in the final minute of a one-possession game.
    (7c) Oh, and the defensive coordinator shouldn't call a game in the second half like we have a thirty point lead unless we actually have a thirty point lead.
    (8) I need to sleep more and worry less about this team.
    (9) Jon Gruden's name will come up repeatedly in the Browns upcoming coaching search even though he has no interest in the job.
    (10) David Shaw is a great candidate to coach the Browns next season.
    Last edited by mkocs6; 11-19-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: h/t to Trumpet and Dennis Manoloff of the PD for helping me realize #10. Everything else is me except 1c-1d, which a friend I and formulated together.
    @kocsan

Great observations. Your team seems to be on the cusp of becoming a winner.
    Just pray that next season they don't have one of the retreads (Reid, Turner) at the helm.
    Last edited by buzmeg; 11-19-2012 at 09:09 AM.
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    ...about the Browns:

(1) When CBS shows me Jimmy Haslam watching the Browns in an owner's box, I am absolutely certain he wants to strangle Pat Shurmur just as much as I do in my living room.
    (1a) There is a strong correlation between coaches who cannot manage critical game situations and coaches who call their own offensive plays. Exhibit A: Pat Shurmur. Exhibits B-D: Andy Reid, Norv Turner, Jason Garrett. (Hey wait, are any of these guys actually good playcallers?)
    (1b) Clearly, the chart is too complicated.
    (1c) Jimmy Haslam became a billionaire owning truck stops. If there's anyone in the league innovative enough to actually hire the Simmons-endorsed Madden dork to stand next to his coach on the sideline, it's him.
    (1d) Realistically, this could be the new quality control assistant that guys like Walsh started hiring back in the '80s. In addition to managing timeouts, deciding when to go for two, and when it is appropriate to pass and run in late game situations, he could specifically concentrate on the upcoming opponent's tendencies in similar situations.
    (1e) I've seen my team lose enough of these games to believe that this is important enough of a task to actually pay someone a wage to handle it.
    (2) The Browns are very young, have been very unlucky and even less healthy this season.
    (2a) The Browns had their 'starting' defensive line for the first time all season yesterday. They sacked Romo seven times.
    (3) In spite of that, they would be 5-5 if they had a competent head coach.
    (3a) Or maybe a Madden dork...
    (4) Josh Gordon and Greg Little have grown up as professional receivers this year.
    (5) When Brandon Weeden forgets to be scared of throwing interceptions, he's a pretty decent quarterback.
    (6) Trent Richardson is still a monster.
    (6a) He will not be effective in a second half if we automatically give him ball on every 1st and 10.
    (7) If they add depth in the secondary and a pass rusher, this team could be surprise contender for a wild card next season.
    (7a) Buster Skrine should never be counted on to be more than a nickelback, and he should actually trust his speed in coverage.
    (7b) Sheldon Brown is as old as my dad and has no business starting at cornerback on any NFL roster, let alone covering Dez Bryant or Miles Austin in the final minute of a one-possession game.
    (7c) Oh, and the defensive coordinator shouldn't call a game in the second half like we have a thirty point lead unless we actually have a thirty point lead.
    (8) I need to sleep more and worry less about this team.
    (9) Jon Gruden's name will come up repeatedly in the Browns upcoming coaching search even though he has no interest in the job.
    (10) David Shaw is a great candidate to coach the Browns next season.
    I helped with your David Shaw thought? I certainly agree that he would be an excellent candidate in Cleveland.

Another college coach to keep in mind is Bill O'Brien. I don't think he's leaving PSU, but the rumors are starting, not necessarily through anything he's said, but merely by refusing to give any credence to the questions by answering them. That said, if he were to consider leaving, Cleveland would make a lot of sense, and I've been very impressed by his leadership.

Under-the-radar college coach who's turned down NFL overtures before is Kirk Ferentz, who, of course, has a history with the organization.

The other interesting non-retread is Bruce Arians, whom I've mentioned before, and who has been fantastic filling in for Indy. I think he's shown a lot of excellent HC qualities.

Just hope they don't go after Chip Kelly.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    I know I mentioned this possibility for Cleveland before, but as far as retreads go, what would your thoughts be on Ken Whisenhunt in Cleveland? In fact, back in the thread regarding how many more weeks Shurmer will last, I think Whisenhunt was my official prediction.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Amazing how this rings true for most every qb.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
    Amazing how this rings true for most every qb.
    Except for the ones who throw a lot of picks. Think Rex Grossman. Ugh. On second thought, don't. It hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Except for the ones who throw a lot of picks. Think Rex Grossman. Ugh. On second thought, don't. It hurts.
    When I said qbs, I meant quarterbacks, more than turnover machines. I use the broad side of a barn as accuracy cutoff.

Blog Entries
    re: 1a

Norv and Garrett were good playcallers as OCs. You can make an argument that Norv is one of the best OCs of the last 30 years. That doesn't mean he's a great HC, cause he's not. I think, however, that a HC who calls plays for either side of the ball is just taking on too much, and that can lead to issues. When San Diego lets Norv go, if he goes back to being an OC, whatever team hires him will see better offensive production, I think.
    "Amy is happily drinking the tears of Broncos fans." Giantsfan97.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    I helped with your David Shaw thought? I certainly agree that he would be an excellent candidate in Cleveland.

Another college coach to keep in mind is Bill O'Brien. I don't think he's leaving PSU, but the rumors are starting, not necessarily through anything he's said, but merely by refusing to give any credence to the questions by answering them. That said, if he were to consider leaving, Cleveland would make a lot of sense, and I've been very impressed by his leadership.

Under-the-radar college coach who's turned down NFL overtures before is Kirk Ferentz, who, of course, has a history with the organization.

The other interesting non-retread is Bruce Arians, whom I've mentioned before, and who has been fantastic filling in for Indy. I think he's shown a lot of excellent HC qualities.

Just hope they don't go after Chip Kelly.
    All true. A few weeks ago you mentioned that you had become a big David Shaw fan over the last two years. I started thinking about it then, and when a columnist mentioned how much he liked his performance in the Oregon game the other night--as opposed to Chip Kelly--I decided it was a good time to pull the trigger. (Seriously, Chip Kelly?)

I've been favorably impressed by O'Brien, but he has a long, massive contract at Penn State. I'm always leery of taking on Belichick assistants, though, so let's see how it goes for the next couple of years. We may be doing this again in the future if we don't get it right.

Ferentz did work in Cleveland and still recruits out of there. Arians will get interviews, certainly, and last night in chat we mentioned the coordinators for the Seahawks--Darrell Bevell and Casey Bradley--as guys who might get calls this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw
    I know I mentioned this possibility for Cleveland before, but as far as retreads go, what would your thoughts be on Ken Whisenhunt in Cleveland? In fact, back in the thread regarding how many more weeks Shurmer will last, I think Whisenhunt was my official prediction.
    I think as retreads go, he's the only guy I'd be interested in choosing. I think he could have a hell of a lot of success with this team in Cleveland, but our FPeers didn't think there was any chance Arizona would fire him.
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    re: 1a

Norv and Garrett were good playcallers as OCs. You can make an argument that Norv is one of the best OCs of the last 30 years. That doesn't mean he's a great HC, cause he's not. I think, however, that a HC who calls plays for either side of the ball is just taking on too much, and that can lead to issues. When San Diego lets Norv go, if he goes back to being an OC, whatever team hires him will see better offensive production, I think.
    That is true, and I should have clarified. I meant to ask, are any of these guys still good playcallers as head coaches? Honestly, the best of the bunch is probably Norv, amazing as that is to say out loud.
    @kocsan