Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maryland Joins the Big Ten. Rutgers to follow?

Maryland Joins the Big Ten. Rutgers to follow?

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
    Maryland's board of regents unanimously approves move to Big Ten, source tells @ESPN

Over the weekend it was reported that if Maryland approved the move, Rutgers would join as well.

Good grabs for the Big 10. They aren't necessarily great teams, but they open up 2 new states recruiting wise, and I know the Big Ten really wanted to get the Big Ten Network into the New York market which should greatly increase revenue for the conference.

A television executive told SI.com’s Pete Thamel, the move could be worth as much as $200 millon annually for Big Ten cable subscription fees, and 15 million television households — but not without risk.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/11/19/ma...caa/?eref=sihp

From Thamel's column:

"Rutgers is the wild card here," said the executive. "Rutgers in New Jersey and New York City isn't Ohio State in Ohio. Is it possible that the interest in Rutgers in the corridor is so marginal that no one is willing to carry it in that corridor? Is it possible that Rutgers doesn't resonate enough to justify 1.25 across any of the subscribers?"

I understand the reasons for this move by the Big 10, but it's ugly on many levels.

Maryland has cut athletic programs but is willing to pay a $50 million exit fee (assuming negotiations and lawsuits fail.) Program sugardaddy Mr. Under Armour reportedly sold $64 million in stock to fund the move. Can anyone say "obscene"? I knew you could.

Maryland is a mediocre academic institution and a very poor -- and very poorly supported -- football program. Rutgers is a tiny football program with a tiny following. The Big 10 is diluting its brand by adding these football non-entities.

I question how eagerly cable operators will shell out money so people can watch teams they don't care about.

The East Coast in general has a tepid interest in college football. Pro sports dominate the landscape. Maryland and Rutgers aren't going to set anyone's pants on fire. And nobody in the East is dying to see that Purdue-Indiana game that's not on national networks.

I guess this is a forward-looking move by the Big 10. To me, it's just another reason why the players should get paid -- in money-- for their labor.

People in the east do care about college football, they just aren't as rabid as the south about it. For the Big 10, its about market size and getting into other markets. For Maryland and Rutgers, its about much bigger paydays and getting out of the ACC and Big East which are seen as minor BCS conferences. Although the ACC was trying to rebuild that reputation.

We are already starting the next round of the realignment carousel.

Rutgers to the Big Ten is now official.

Sitting in Rutgers this VERY second, the whole university is energized by this. It's a huge deal for us.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    Sitting in Rutgers this VERY second, the whole university is energized by this. It's a huge deal for us.
    I'd think so. I'm sure the administration agrees!

The Big Ten reportedly paid its members about $24 million dollars last year. The Big East's payout to football members last year was $6 million.
    http://www.foxsportsohio.com/11/20/1...medium=twitter

I think its a win-win for both sides provided the Big Ten Network lands in the NYC market.

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to be in the Big East.

Blog Entries
    Clearly this helps Rutgers, especially their football program. They've done such a good job of putting themselves on the map, but with the state of the Big East, that wasn't going to last for long. Worst case, they have much more exposure, and certainly won't be worse than Indiana. Illinois, Northwestern, or even Iowa could become very realistic models for Rutgers. Huge win for them, and should make them even more relevant in eastern recruiting.

It will help make Maryland more money, since everything has become so football driven, and help with most of their other sports. However, I have a feeling this move will make Maryland basketball irrelevant. On the east coast, players want to play in the Big East or ACC. Moving to the Big Ten will move Maryland off the radar, and they'll likely never be anything more than a middle-of-the-road team again. I can see them becoming a slightly better Penn State in hoops, which at least isn't Nebraska.

Not that it matters too much. Losing some relevancy in basketball is a small price to pay for the lift the rest of the athletic department should see.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

interesting thought on Maryland basketball and recruiting. Not sure I necessarily agree with it, but its interesting nonetheless.