Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TopX Sidebar- Greatest Quarterbacks of All-Time

Blog Entries

TopX Sidebar- Greatest Quarterbacks of All-Time

With recent discussions centering on the greatness of QBs, I thought we should probably move that discussion into its own thread. To try and promote discussion, since I know many prefer to avoid discussing/arguing on the front page, I'll make this thread a TopX sidebar discussion, and keep it in the forums.

I'll separate this into 2 lists. First, I'll throw out the top 5 pre-Super Bowl era QBs, then the top 10 SB era QBs. It is tough to mix the two, but if I did, Graham would be my #1 overall, and Luckman and Baugh would both also make my top 10 list.

(SB era= career ended in 1966 or later)

Top 5 Pre-Super Bowl Era QBs-

1. Otto Graham
    2. Sid Luckman
    3. Sammy Baugh
    4. Arnie Herber
    5. Bobby Layne

-Graham is the greatest QB of all-time in my estimation. I get that he played inferior competition in the AAFC for a few years, but once the Browns reached the NFL, while his numbers regressed a bit, he was still the best QB in the league by a long-shot, making the championship in all 6 of his NFL seasons, winning 3 titles, and being named 1st team all-pro 4 times. Luckman over Baugh is a bit controversial, but considering the careers of Luckman and Baugh intertwined, it’s easy to compare within their era. Luckman won twice as many championships, was named 1st team all-pro 5 times, compared with 4 for Baugh, had 3 90+ rating seasons compared with 2 for Baugh, and finished with a higher career YPA, QB Rating, TD%, and TD/INT ratio. Baugh was the better overall player, but Luckman was the better QB.

Top 10 Super Bowl Era QBs-

1. Bart Starr
    2. Johnny Unitas
    3. Joe Montana
    4. Peyton Manning
    5. Steve Young
    6. Tom Brady
    7. Dan Marino
    8. Terry Bradshaw
    9. Roger Staubach
    10. Brett Favre

-The most important role a QB plays is that of a leader. There has never been a more consummate leader and better extension of his head coach than Bart Starr. -The top 3 are razor thin, but I’ll put Unitas over Montana because he was the epitome of a field general. But really, Starr, Unitas, and Montana are about as close to a 3-way tie as is possible in my view. –Manning gets bonus points for his career resurgence this year. His significant production drop in road playoff games is the main reason he doesn’t crack the top 3. But he’s the ultimate grinder despite being a #1 overall pick, and his knowledge of the position is unmatched. –From 1991-1998, no one has ever played the QB position better than Steve Young. –Brady is another great extension of his coach, and another of the true grinders. –Marino is the toughest to judge, and I’ve softened my stance on him a bit. One of the great pure-passers ever, pre-injury Marino places in the top 5. –Bradshaw may be the most talented QB of all-time. His arm-strength was of Marino/Favre quality, and he was a surprisingly athletic, mobile QB, who grew into the perfect QB for that team. He gets docked for the 1st half of his career. It’s amazing to think that his 4 championships are almost a disappointment. –Fair or not fair, Bradshaw outplayed Staubach in the 2 SB victories that were the difference between the Steelers and Cowboys being named team of the decade. Even 1 win over Pittsburgh would have moved Staubach ahead of Bradshaw, Brady, and possibly Young on this list. –I tried not to include Favre, but other than an in-his-prime Steve Young and Peyton Manning, there has been no QB in my lifetime that I was more afraid to see on the other side of the field.

Others Worthy of Consideration-
    Troy Aikman, Ken Anderson, Drew Brees, Len Dawson, Dan Fouts, Bob Griese, Sonny Jurgensen, Fran Tarkenton, Kurt Warner

There's my list. Please discuss, dissect, and present your own lists and arguments below.
    Last edited by Trumpetbdw; 11-21-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

The not-even-took-ten-minutes-to-think Top Ten. This is best quarterbacks, not best football players, because Baugh is #1 in my book for players who played other positions than quarterback whilst still playing quarterback:

1. Unitas
    2. Montana
    3. Manning
    4. Graham
    5. Brady
    6. Marino
    7. Baugh
    8. Elway
    9. Starr
    10. Tarkenton

I'm probably missing a ton of names, but I like to do these things with no research, just write the first couple dozen I can think of and do a quick top ten. It shows what names have reasonated in my mind over the years of watching, writing, talking and researching about football.

The other 14 I wrote down:

Favre, Roethlisberger, Luckman, Tittle, Bradshaw, Staubach, Young, Brees, Dawson, Stabler, Fouts, Anderson, Moon, Namath

Blog Entries
    I'm excluding guys like Baugh and Graham. I have very little to go on, and there's no way I can accurately determine their greatness.

1. Montana
    2. Unitas
    3. Manning
    4. Brady
    5. Marino
    6. Elway
    7. Starr
    8. Staubach
    9. Young
    10. Anderson
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    I'd go:

1. Montana
    2. Unitas
    3. Graham
    4. Brady
    5. Baugh
    6. Young
    7. Luckman
    8. Starr
    9. Manning
    10. Marino

Quote Originally Posted by vancemeek View Post
    I'm excluding guys like Baugh and Graham. I have very little to go on, and there's no way I can accurately determine their greatness.

1. Montana
    2. Unitas
    3. Manning
    4. Brady
    5. Marino
    6. Elway
    7. Starr
    8. Staubach
    9. Young
    10. Anderson
    Lol nice Bengals homerism at #10
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    Lol nice Bengals homerism at #10
    Me? Nah.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

My top 10 like Vance excluding the real old ones. Just SB era for me:

1. Montana
    2. Marino
    3. Manning
    4. Brady
    5. Starr
    6. Unitas
    7. Young
    8. Favre
    9. Staubach
    10. Tarkenton

Quote Originally Posted by vancemeek View Post
    Me? Nah.
    Ken Anderson at 10? Dude def got a HOF snub so far, but #10 GOAT, nah.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Rich in that I like to do things like this without much thought. However, I had already completed that process long ago, so this list was jaded with facts. John Elway has taken the biggest hit for me over that time, while Luckman has been helped the most. Marino has probably been helped the most among modern QBs, even though his actual rate stats aren't as good as his compiled stats. I've started putting more weight on his career pre-injury.

Tarkenton is one that I'd expect will appear on a lot of lists, but I've never gotten his game. And he was terrible in every championship opportunity he got. It's one thing to play well and lose, and it's quite another to look as awful as he did.

Dan Fouts, Len Dawson, and Kurt Warner are the others who I think are a bit underrated when lists like this are discussed.

Roethlisberger just missed my best of the rest list as probably the first guy who I didn't consider as being worthy to even think about for the top 10. Jim Kelly may have been next.

An interesting "what if" has always been what would have happened had the 49ers selected the QB they actually coveted in 1979. Phil Simms was on their 2nd round radar when the Giants swooped in and took him. Once they lost out on him, Montana was next on their list, and they grabbed him in the 3rd.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley