Thread: NFL concussion assessment protocol

Blog Entries

NFL concussion assessment protocol

Does anyone have links to:

1) How long it takes?

2) Efficacy, i.e. what percentage of false positives and false negatives?

This may or may not answer #1.

http://impacttest.com/about/background

Click "ImPACT Best Practices", Steps 2 and 3

#2, I am not sure.

Blog Entries
    ImpACT is NOT the NFL's Current CAP. I believe it is the Level 2 test, which I think is given in the LockerRoom. It takes 20 minutes to do.

Blog Entries
    NFL Announces New Sideline Protocol

Lewis HoweFeb 25- NFL teams now have a standardized sideline concussion protocol developed by the NFL Head, Neck, and Spine Medical Committee, which if approved, will become league policy perhaps as early as next season. Designed to be given within 6-8 minutes after a suspected concussion, it tests concentration, balance, and thinking skills. Players take the test at the beginning of the season to determine a "baseline" and then again after a suspected injury. Results of the two are compared and if there is a significant decrease in performance, the player will not be allowed to return to the game. Specific details have not been released.

In a survey of team medical personnel conducted this past November, a subcommittee found that there was no uniform method by which players were being evaluated on the sideline. The protocol was developed based upon the 2008 Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport developed by an international panel of experts, including several SportsConcussions.org advisors.
    This is the NFL CAP. The sideline test. I think once you fail the CAP, you are done for the day AND you go into the lockeroom for more detailed testing, probably Impact, but I am guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    This is the NFL CAP. The sideline test. I think once you fail the CAP, you are done for the day AND you go into the lockeroom for more detailed testing, probably Impact, but I am guessing.
    Yes, you are right. I have never read anything different other than the sideline protocols take 8-12 minutes. Your 6-8 is close enough and I cannot remember where I read that anyway. I am sure that ImPACT begins in the locker room. I KNOW ImPACT is at least used from step 3 and beyond.

Blog Entries
    OK. Let's call it 8 minutes Real Time to do the CAP

One more datapoint. Bears administered the CAP to Cutler during the CHALLENGE on a forward pass and Cutler passed it. 8 minutes seem long for a challenge, but maybe I just havent noticed.

So until we know better. CAP = 8 minutes.

Now we need the False Negative rate.

Blog Entries
    Also, about 10 concussions per week in NFL, on average. That has been stable for about 3 years.

Blog Entries
    I think this is the CAP

http://www.nflevolution.com/wordpres...ost-injury.pdf

Also called SCAT or SCAT2 (although erroniously).

Now we need to know % false positives and false negatives.