Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is your best HOF Candidate?

Blog Entries

Who is your best HOF Candidate?

I was thinking of doing a series of articles, and still might at some point, on potential Hall of Famers around the league. But until I have time to do it, I thought this might serve to at least get some conversation going. I'm going to list one player from each team who I think has a potential shot at the HOF. Obviously not all of these guys will make it, and this is not a prediction on who I think will make it in. Jump in and comment on my picks or make some picks of your own. Also, to add a little interest, I'm leaving out obvious picks like Manning/Brady. On those teams, I'll pick somebody else.

Patriots: Rob Gronkowski-Gronk has 37 TDs in just 3 years and this year isn't even finished yet.
    Jets: Darrelle Revis-Eligible here because I don't think he's a mortal lock yet.
    Dolphins: Mike Pouncey-He's the best center in the league and he's 23.
    Bills: Marcel Dareus-Needs to be a little more consistent, but can be dominant.

Bengals: AJ Green-He's already a top 3 WR in the league.
    Steelers: Maurkice Pouncey-See Pouncey, Mike
    Ravens: Haloti Ngata-If he keeps up production for another 3 or 4 years, he's a lock.
    Browns: Joe Haden-He's a shutdown corner and has plenty of time to show it left.

Colts: Andrew Luck-He's been everything he was touted to be.
    Texans: JJ Watt-He's quickly become one of the best defensive players in the league.
    Titans: Chris Johnson-I'm as critical as anybody, but his numbers could wind up huge.
    Jaguars: Maurice Jones-Drew-If he can stay healthy, he has a shot.

Raiders: Richard Seymour-Has rings, and nice numbers. No other real options right now.
    Broncos: Von Miller-This guy is just amazing.
    Chargers: Philip Rivers-Has to get back to form, but has the best shot aside from Gates (a lock)
    Chiefs: Eric Berry-Has the proper tools, but has to stay healthy and hungry, maybe find a new team.

Cowboys: Dez Bryant-Hate to say it, but he's going to wind up with pretty worthy numbers.
    Giants: Jason Pierre-Paul-No reason he won't be great for many years.
    Redskins: Robert Griffin III-His style of play might get him hurt at some point.
    Eagles: LeSean McCoy-He runs, he catches, he scores.

Lions: Calvin Johnson-A dominant physical specimen. Can't be covered.
    Packers: Aaron Rodgers-Don't really need to elaborate.
    Bears: Charles Tillman-A few more years like this have to get him in the discussion.
    Vikings: Adrian Peterson-He's a force of nature, not a RB.

Saints: Jimmy Graham-The TE is evolving and Graham is a matchup nightmare.
    Panthers: Cam Newton-This year aside, he'll have crazy numbers.
    Falcons: Matt Ryan-He just needs to win some of those playoff games.
    Buccaneers: Carl Nicks-As dominating a guard as you'll find anywhere.

Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald-Was there any other choice?
    Rams: Chris Long-Needs to keep it up for another 7-8 years to be in the running.
    49ers: Patrick Willis-Will wind up as one of the best of all time.
    Seahawks: Marshawn Lynch-Can his body hold up to his running style?
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

From this list, I only see a few guys who have a good shot: Peterson, Rodgers, Willis & Fitzgerald. I base this largely on the fact that they have each had a number of Pro-Bowl seasons.

An interesting project - keep the list around and see what's doing in ten years. But as one who has seen the majority of his games, please take Dareus off this list. He is playing like a 320 pound turnstile this season and does not deserve to have his name listed here.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    LOL. Yeah, I highly doubt most of those listed actually make the HOF. I was just curious when I started the project what I would come up with. Like I said, I just tried to project who had the best chance to make it for each team. The Bills are a little light in the potential HOF department, but to be fair, I haven't been able to watch many Bills games this season. Out of curiosity, who would you pick? I also considered Williams (still young enough to stack up some big numbers).
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Pretty cool idea Vance. Skipped over it a few times figuring this was a pitch for 1 guy, but this is fun. I like a lot of the guys you listed, but there are a few I disagree with...

Bills-I'd say that if CJ Spiller can continue to gobble up yards, he'd be my pick here. He's got the talent of a Marshall Faulk type back if they use him correctly.

Cowboys-I don't think Dez has what it takes. He's got a case of the dropsies and he's got attitude issues. Physically he can be dominant, but I don't have faith. I'd pick Demarcus Ware or Jason Witten here. I don't think either is a lock, but I think Witten has a better shot. Even though Gonzo and Gates are far superior, Witten is the last productive TE who was also an awesome blocker. If the Steelers OL wasn't so bad, I'd say Heath Miller would probably be better, but as it stands Witten is the last of a dying breed.

Redskins-RGIII just seems like he's beatable. He cashes in on uncontested balls and once DCs relax, they'll be able to contain him and play great defense. I'm not too optimistic about his future. Not sure who I'd pick over him, but London Fletcher and Brian Orakpo are 2 guys I'd consider.

There are a couple more, but those guys have no suitable alternative. I understand you're trying to get one per team and no really obvious guys.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    You have to be kidding about RGIII. He is a guy who is completing 67% of his passes, has a 4:1 TD:INT ratio, 101 QB rating. He has no real good WRs. Isn't he playing without his TE too? I am far and away more impressed with him that any other rookie QB I've seen, maybe ever.

You want to talk about guys cashing in on uncontested balls? How about Brady and Manning throwing all those WR screens and pick plays throughout their while career? Are they easily beatable? I find that as a highy rediculous statement.

Blog Entries
    Packa- my initial lean on Dallas was Witten. Gave Bryant a benefit, thinking hr might grow up. I did consider Spiller as well for Buffalo. And you're right, for some teams there just wasnt a good candidate so I had to take a wild guess.

Blog Entries
    For the Browns, I think Joe Thomas has the inside track ahead of Joe Haden at this point. Five Pro Bowls in five years, three time first team All Pro (2009, 2010, 2011).
    @kocsan

Blog Entries
    Yeah. You're probably right on Thomas. I might have outsmarted myself. I think Thomas is closing in on being a lock, so I went with Haden

I love Peanut Tillman, he's one of my favorite players on the Bears. Great guy, and I'm glad he's finally getting the recognition he's deserved for really his last few years. That being said, I have a very hard time seeing him get into the Hall of Fame. You may not have realized this, but he is 31 already, and he's had some injury problems in his career (though, not recently); I don't think he's going to be effective in his mid to late 30s. In terms of Hall of Fame chances, I'd put him behind Urlacher, Peppers, and Briggs; I'd maybe even consider Brandon Marshall's chances above Tillman's at this point. Been very effective through his career, a little bit younger than Tillman, more Pro Bowls, etc. Yeah, he's nowhere near the teammate that Tillman is, but his production speaks for itself.

Blog Entries
    I'm assuming that you are including Roethlisberger and Polamalu as shoe-ins, but I can't agree with Maurkice being the next best bet. Steeler fans would cite Heath Miller as HOF worthy, but he won't have the career numbers to be legitimately considered.

The two names from the defense that stand out to me as having a legit possibility to end up with a HOF-level career are Lamarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons. Timmons is going to have his case hurt because his numbers will never be as impressive as those of a MLB in a 4-3, but he is arguably their most talented defensive player save for a healthy Polamalu.

As an aside, you don't think Adrian Peterson is a lock?
    "So whose fault is it? It's all Trumpet's fault. Just because."

-Andy Freeland