Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Week 12 open thread

NFL Week 12 open thread

Just a place to put all the week 12 discussions.

Officials in the DET/HOU game are catching a lot of crap for the play that allowed Texans to score (when they shouldn't have), but all the blame belongs squarely on the shoulders of Jim Schwartz. Did he not read all the news and highlights that reamed Mike Smith for doing the exact same thing last week?

I understand the disappointment, but this just goes to the impetuousness of Schwartz, one again. Gotta know the rules, Coach. What a long, exciting and tiring game!
    "When I suck, I'll retire." ~ Tom Brady

Its a bad rule that needs to be changed, but it was the right call by the officials. You can't blame the officials for enforcing a bad rule. The blame definitely belongs to Jim Schwartz.

I blame the rules committee. And Schwartz.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
    Its a bad rule that needs to be changed, but it was the right call by the officials. You can't blame the officials for enforcing a bad rule. The blame definitely belongs to Jim Schwartz.
    I agree on all points. He was impetuous. I wonder where Suh gets it from?

Blog Entries
    Why did the rule get in place this season anyway? What's the purpose?

From PFT

Daopoulos explained on Monday’s edition of PFT Live that the approach was changed in the offseason because too many coaches were throwing the red flag when they shouldn’t have been throwing it, delaying the game.
    If they are already reviewing it, aren't they on time out anyway? If there is a score or a turnover, arent the teams on time out? Where does he delay come from? I understand not throwing the flag in the las 2 minues, but even then teams hurry to the line in order to try an beat the booth review. How many times have you seen one coach call time so the booth has enought time to review. The two minue review needs some work.

It's been difficult being a Redskins fan the last 20 years. Since Joe Gibbs retired the first time, things generally haven't gone well.

For me, who left DC in 1983, it's been a strange trip. Living in California, Florida, Missouri and now Georgia, the opportunity to watch my team has been rare. And the news, when there was any, was usually bad.

And so for two decades it's been an exercise in dampening expectations, of limiting hope, of not letting yourself get hurt. This naturally creates a distancing effect.

And then something like tonight happens. Against the Cowboys on national TV, the guys play their hearts out, the stars shine and all the ancient emotions come pouring back. The Redskins-Cowboys rivalry isn't what it used to be, but if there's a team I'd like to crush, they're still it.

To see this battered outfit play so well is heartening. It gives me hope. Pierre Garcon -- amazing. RGIII -- amazing. A defense minus Orakpo, among others -- amazing. A poor offensive line playing well for yet another game -- amazing.

To actually be withing sniffing distance of a playoff spot, however unlikely -- amazing.

I'm not sure I dare hope yet. It used to hurt so bad. I've become good at being numb. But the world is changing again, just like it did in 1992. Only this time, it's for the better.

Blog Entries
    Cowboys vs Redskins

Last 2 minutes. Cowboys driving. Romo throws to Dez Bryant in endzone. Bryant catches the ball in the air. One foot comes down. Defender rockets into Bryant's arms leading with head and shoulders. No wrap up. Just a torpedo at warp speed. Ball comes out. No catch. No TD.

And THAT is why Ed Reed got suspended. Roy Anderson explicitly said that tacklers need to tackle. To wrap up. Not just torpedo.

But Torpedos work on receptions. Torpedos are BETTER against receptions than wrapping up. Not so much against runners, but absolutely against receivers.

And even when you torpedo for the chest/ball, if the receiver ducks....BINGO. H2H.

I have to say that the video the NFL made last year on illegal and legal tackling was good. But the real issue is that they want something that ISNT as good as torpedoing for defenseless receivers. And until torpedoing is not BETTER than wrapping up, then it won't stop.

Can't believe Cris called Brady and Sanchez "two hunks."
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

Any chance that Al just starts reading off Wagers and Lagers while Cris sleeps in the second half. I hope Andy brought his paint brush to give himself something to do.