Week 12 Lineup Rankings

With bye-weeks a thing of the past, and trade deadlines winding down, we’re to the point of the season where your roster is pretty much set.

In my opinion, the story of this season has been the depth of available options at RB and WR. With this being the first week since week 3 where we haven’t had a bye to worry about, it was striking when crafting my rankings how many players are actually contributing on a weekly basis. I take my RB list 40 deep, and my WR list 50 deep, and still had to leave some quality options on the outside looking in. Justin Blackmon and Brian Hartline have both put up 200 yard games this season, yet are sitting at #46 and 48 respectively in my weekly rankings.

With so many contributing players around the league, fantasy owners are experiencing more headaches than ever before. The only medication is to be as prepared as possible, and to use the proper information to make the best decision you can make. Then, even if (when) you’re wrong, at least you can sleep like a baby knowing you made the proper decision.

For Quarterbacks, I’m sure most of us have a pretty good idea at this point who our starters are, but if you do have 2 similar QBs, matchups are the best indicator. Andrew Luck and Tony Romo have both risen to top 10 status this week based on their matchup.

At RB, opportunity is always best. LaRod Stephens-Howling and Marcel Reece aren’t the best backs by any means, but both capitalized on their opportunities last week. This week’s RB sleeper could be Jalen Parmele, who appears to be the new #1 RB in Jacksonville.

At WR, it’s best to follow target efficiency, combined with matchups. No player fluctuates in my rankings more than Brian Hartline. He is a target monster, but has only taken advantage of that in his most favorable matchups. In tough matchups, like this week against Seattle, Hartline is better served on your bench.

More important than making the right decision each week is simply to not make a mistake. Guys like Philip Rivers, Larry Fitzgerald and Mike Wallace have been top options in the past. However, their inconsistent play, in large part to the circumstances surrounding their situations, have caused each to see their values plummet. They may each still have potential superstar ability, but none should be considered a mainstay in your lineup, unless you do not have a better option.

In the end, preventing all of your headaches is an impossibility. But if you use your best instincts and information, you’ll be able to make your decisions, and then sleep like a baby afterward.