Thread: Happy Thanksgiving!

Blog Entries

Happy Thanksgiving!

Awesome game. It's not often you beat a team *and* it's crowd. While some of our TDs were very fluky, the fact is we kicked the Jets in the teeth and didn't let up. Rex and Rob can cry while they snack, tonight, since both got beat. 4-0 in the division, with Miami up next. Even a split with them (and I think we win both), and we sew up the division. Our last 5 are: @Miami, Houston, 49ers, @Jacksonville, Miami.

No Gronk, Mankins, Volmer, or Chandler Jones. Aaron's back, though. So, I think we'll be ok. Cris and Al in the booth of course. Mike Carey is the ref.

Pats D1: Start at the 19

1st and 10: Brady called for grounding. No other QB gets called for it ever. It was the correct call, but it's just annoying no other QB gets called for grounding.
    2nd and 20: Ridley, 5
    3rd and 15: Brady to Edleman, 9.
    4th and 6: Punt.

Jets D1: Start at the 34

1st and 10: Sanchez sacked by Hightower, -6
    2nd and 16: Greene, 11
    3rd and 5: Sanchez to Gates, dropped
    4th and 5: Punt

Pats D2: Start at the 36. Great return by Edelman.

1st and 10: Ridley, 9
    2nd and 1: Ridley, 5
    1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 27. Great catch!
    1st and 10: Ridley, 1
    2nd and 9: Brady to Lloyd, overthrown
    3rd and 9: Brady to Welker, incomplete, bad throw.
    4th and 9: 39 yard FG misses. Blew an opportunity here. Steven's having an iffy time early in games this season.

Jets D2: Start at the 29

1st and 10: Vince jumps. Good call.
    1st and 5: Greene, 3
    2nd and 2: Greene, 15
    1st and 10: Greene, 4
    2nd and 6: Sanchez to Cumberland, 7
    1st and 10: Greene, 3
    2nd and 7: Sanchez to Greene, 6. Negated by Defensive Holding on Cunningham. Bad call. Cunningham was blocked by Keller as the play started and was called for holding.
    1st and 10: Powell, 4
    2nd and 6: Sanchez intercepted by Gregory!

Pats D3: Start at the 16

1st and 10: Brady to Fells, incomplete
    2nd and 10: 12 men on D.
    2nd and 5: Woodhead, 8
    1st and 10: Brady to Welker, great pass defense by Landry. Hey, NBC, when a play is about to start, stop doing the introductions and cover the play.
    2nd and 10: Ridley, 9
    3rd and 1: Vereen, 6
    1st and 10: Brady to Welker, 5
    2nd and 5: Ridley, 1. Again, NBC, when a team is running the hurry up, cover the new play and don't show replays of routine 5 yard catches. In fact, really, you never need to show replays of routine 5 yard catches.
    3rd and 4: Offsides Jets! This was a close call that I think was correct.
    1st and 10: Brady to Welker, 3. Ugly play.
    2nd and 7: Ridley, 6
    3rd and 1: Ridley, 4
    1st and 10: Brady to Welker, incomplete
    2nd and 10: Vereen, 12, plus facemask on the Jets! Carey didn't say a number and Cris and Al didn't show us a reply of the foul, so I can't say who did it, or assess if it was a good call. NBC's been really sloppy this drive.
    1st and goal: Vereen, 2
    2nd and goal: Vereen, 4
    End of the first.
    3rd and goal: Brady to Welker, 4, TD! Bad coverage by Lanster of the Jets. 7-0 Pats.

Jets D3: Start at the 32. McKnight had a good return.

1st and 10: Powell, 4
    2nd and 6: Sanchez to Powell, 14
    1st and 10: Powell, 5
    2nd and 5: Powell, 3
    3rd and 3: Powell, 4
    1st and 10: Powell, 3
    2nd and 7: Sanchez to Cumberland, 5
    3rd and 2: Powell, 1
    4th and 1: Greene fumbles! Gregory recovers! It looks like Spikes swatted the ball out as Greene was trying to reach it forward. I question going to Greene here. Powell had been playing well this drive. Stick with him, I think.

Pats D4: Start at the 17

1st and 10: Brady to Vereen, 83 TD! WOW! What a fast strike! Go Pats!!! 14-0.

Jets D4: Start at the 20

1st and 10: Sanchez to Gates, 11
    1st and 10: Sanchez has a lineman pushed into him on a QB draw by Vince, fumbles. Gregory recovers and returns it for a TD! Gregory is having a monster night! 21-0 Pats!

McKnight fumbles the kickoff, Edleman catches it in the air and returns it! TD! Devin hit the ball with his helmet to force the fumble. 28-0 Pats!

Jets D5: Start at the 18

2nd and 6: Sanchez to Reuland, 8
    1st and 10: Greene, 10. Really good run
    1st and 10: Greene, 5
    2nd and 5: Sanchez to Powell, -1
    3rd and 6: Sanchez sacked by Mayo as the Jets fans chant for Tebow! What a wonderful day this is!
    4th and 15: Punt

Pats D5: Start at the 27

1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 12
    1st and 10: Ridley, 5. Wilkerson of the Jets hurt.
    2nd and 5: Ridley, 0. Landry blew the play up
    3rd and 5: Brady to Edleman, 56, TD! 35-0, Pats. Edleman smoked Landry on the play.

Jets D6: Start at the 23

1st and 10: Sanchez to Kerley, 5
    2nd and 5: Sanchez to Keller, 12
    1st and 10: Sanchez to Keller, 8
    2nd and 2: Powell. 0. Jets timeout #1
    3rd and 2: Sanchez to Cumberland, 7
    1st and 10: Sanchez to Kerley, incomplete
    2nd and 10: Sanchez to Hill, 9. Jets timeout #2. Sanchez stepped up nicely to make Ninkovitch miss a sack.
    3rd and 1: Greene, 6
    1st and 10: Sanchez to Gates, Dennard defended the pass
    2nd and 10: Sanchez to Gates, 9. Gates and Arrington are both hurt on the play, after Arrington hits Gates hard. With both players hurt, it's interesting that both teams get charged with a timeout. The only reason we learn this is that I overhead the ref saying it over the PA at Metlife. Al and Cris don't cover it, which is pretty boggling. Both guys walk off the field.
    3rd and 1: Sanchez to Kerley, incomplete, off Kerley's hands. More Tebow chants.
    4th and 1: Sanchez to Hill, 5
    1st and 10: Jets spike it, slowly.
    2nd and 10: Jets bring in the FG team and make the 32 yarder. It's mystifying. The crowd's mad and I agree. Go for 7, it's 35-0, 35-3 keeps it a 5 possession game.

Halftime. What a great second quarter! We're beating the Jets *and* the crowd!
    "Amy is happily drinking the tears of Broncos fans." Giantsfan97.

Blog Entries
    Jets D7: Start at the 21

1st and 10: Greene, -2. Ugly looking play
    2nd and 12: Sanchez to Kerley, 10. He may have been oob when he caught it
    3rd and 2: Sanchez to Kerley, 1. Cunningham popped him.
    4th and 1: Punt.

Pats D6: Start at the 24.

1st and 10: Brady to Edleman, overthrown. Wilkerson is back in the game.
    2nd and 10: Brady to Llyod, overthrown. We're taking shots!
    3rd and 10: Brady to Welker, 19
    1st and 10: Ridley, 1
    2nd and 9: Brady to Hernandez, 8
    3rd and 1: Brady, 2
    1st and 10: Edleman, 5 on a sweep. Landry pops him, fumble, Jets ball. Good fumble, possible H2H, Jets fans chanting for Tebow. I'm somewhat surprised, though not upset, that there was no H2H flag on the hit.

Jets D8: Start at the 43

1st and 10: Sanchez to Keller, 21. Ugly throw.
    1st and 10: Greene, 3
    2nd and 7: Sanchez to Kerley, first down and fumble. Jets recover at the 14. Gregory forces it.
    1st and 10: Greene, 7
    2nd and 3: Sanchez to Schillens, incomplete in the endzone. I'd challenge if I was Rex. I think it was a TD. Rex does challenge, and Mike Carey does not overturn. Jets lose timeout #1.
    3rd and 3: Spikes jumps offsides. Good call.
    1st and goal: Powell, 1. Edelman heading to the locker room.
    2nd and goal: Sanchez to Keller, Arrington defends the pass.
    3rd and goal: Sanchez, 1, on a keeper.
    4th and goal: Greene, 0! We hold. DEFENSE!

Pats D7: Start at the 1, which is the downside of a goal line stand.

1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, incomplete. Ridley called for a chop block in the endzone, which results in a safety. The call is a good one. 35-5 Pats. We have to safety kick.

Jets D9: Start at the 29.

1st and 10: Sanchez to Cumberland, 39
    1st and 10: Powell, 14
    1st and 10: Sanchez to Kerley, 10.
    1st and goal: Sanchez for 0. Spikes called for a hold. Good call.
    1st and goal: Powell, 4. TD. The defense looked terrible that drive. They need to make sure they don't relax. 35-12, Pats.

Pats D8: Start at the 13.

1st and 10: Ridley, 8
    2nd and 2: Ridley, 1
    3rd and 1: Brady, 2
    1st and 10: Ridley, 6
    2nd and 4: Brady to Hernandez, slightly overthrown.
    3rd and 4: Brady to Welker, 5
    1st and 10: Brady to Fells, 24. Good job at switching to the play from the replay, well done!
    1st and 10: Ridley, -1.
    2nd and 11: Brady to Lloyd, 9

End of the third. Jets won the third.

3rd and 2: Ridley, 3
    1st and 10: Ridley, 7. Hard run. Al+Cris chat about Maddden.
    2nd and 3: Ridley, 8. More Madden talk.
    1st and 10: Ridley, 8
    2nd and 2: Brady to Hernandez, caught for a TD, negated by OPI on Aaron. Not sure about that call.
    2nd and 12: Brady to Lloyd, 5
    3rd and 7: Brady to Vereen, 8
    1st and goal: Vereen, 3
    2nd and goal: Brady, 1, TD! 42-12.

Jets D10: Start at the 23

1st and 10: Sanchez to Schillens, fumble! Ninkovitch recovers, Dennard forced it!

Pats D9: Start at the Jets 37

1st and 10: Brady to Welker, 28
    1st and goal: Ridley, 9, TD! 49-12.

Jets D11: Start at the 10, Ball went out at the 20, but Jets were called for a post play late hit out of bounds.

1st and 10: Powell, -2
    2nd and 12: Sanchez to Kerley, 11
    3rd and 1: Powell, 4, negated by illegal motion on Hill
    3rd and 6: Sanchez to Kerley, defended by Arrington
    4th and 6: Punt

Pats D10: Start at the 29.

1st and 10: Vereen, 7
    2nd and 3: Vereen, 5
    1st and 10: Vereen, -2
    2nd and 12: Brady to Welker, 7
    3rd and 5: Brady to Woodhead, 12
    1st and 10: Vereen, 1
    2nd and 9: Vereen, 3
    3rd and 6: Woodhead, 1
    4th and 5: Punt

Jets D12: Start at the 20. Tebow chants are back

1st and 10: Sanchez to Greene, 9.
    2nd and 1: Sanchez to Kerley, 36
    1st and 10: Sanchez to Keller, 22
    1st and 10: Sanchez to Keller, overthrown
    2nd and 10: Sanchez to Schillens, 10. In addition, a really iffy h2h call on Dennard that gets the Jets 1 yard.
    1st and goal: Sanchez to Keller, 1, TD. 49-19, Pats

Pats D11: Start at the 14, Mallet comes in.

1st and 10: Ridley, 3
    2nd and 7: Mallet kneels
    3rd and 8: Mallet kneels
    4th and 10: Punt

Jets D13: Start at the 43

1st and 10: McKnight, 7

Game over.

I thought Mike Carey's crew did an excellent job, though I though Cris and Al were about a B-. Pats were 12 of 16 on 3rd downs. Jets were 5 of 13 on 3rd and 4th.

Also, who gave all those Jets fans those stupid turkey hats. Really, you wear stuff like that, and are shocked when the team plays back.

Lastly, in solidarity with all those sad fans, who had turkey day wrecked by Darth Hoody and company, let's all chant: Tebow! Tebow! Tebow!

I couldn't believe how badly the ball wanted to jump out of Jets' arms. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    I couldn't believe how badly the ball wanted to jump out of Jets' arms. Amazing.
    I didn't see the game, was playing poker with the family, checked the score to see if we should put it on and by then it was a blow out. The highlights show a brutal period there where anything that could go wrong did.

Sal Paolantonio also tried really hard to get into an argument with Rex in the post game presser.

Amy, there isn't anything in your notes about Edelman. What the heck happened?

This....

4th and 1: Greene fumbles! Gregory recovers! It looks like Spikes swatted the ball out as Greene was trying to reach it forward. I question going to Greene here. Powell had been playing well this drive. Stick with him, I think.

Pats D4: Start at the 17

1st and 10: Brady to Vereen, 83 TD! WOW! What a fast strike! Go Pats!!! 14-0.

Jets D4: Start at the 20

1st and 10: Sanchez to Gates, 11
    1st and 10: Sanchez has a lineman pushed into him on a QB draw by Vince, fumbles. Gregory recovers and returns it for a TD! Gregory is having a monster night! 21-0 Pats!

McKnight fumbles the kickoff, Edleman catches it in the air and returns it! TD! Devin hit the ball with his helmet to force the fumble. 28-0 Pats!

Jets D5: Start at the 18

2nd and 6: Sanchez to Reuland, 8
    1st and 10: Greene, 10. Really good run
    1st and 10: Greene, 5
    2nd and 5: Sanchez to Powell, -1
    3rd and 6: Sanchez sacked by Mayo as the Jets fans chant for Tebow! What a wonderful day this is!
    4th and 15: Punt

Pats D5: Start at the 27

1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 12
    1st and 10: Ridley, 5. Wilkerson of the Jets hurt.
    2nd and 5: Ridley, 0. Landry blew the play up
    3rd and 5: Brady to Edleman, 56, TD! 35-0, Pats. Edleman smoked Landry on the play.
    Was insanity! Even for a Patriots fan, this had to be as much fun as you've ever had watching a football game.

Congratulations on ending the Ryan era!
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    @edave: Edleman got a good pop from LaRon Landry (who played very well for the Jets). We ran him on a WR sweep and Landry just blew him up. You could argue helmet to helmet could have been called, but I don't think it was warranted, so I wasn't upset that it was not. He later went to the locker room and didn't return. Possible concussoion, I'd guess.

@Pruitt: Super Bowl 36 was the most fun for me, really. Last night was really fun, mostly from that crazy second quarter. Some of the Jets turnovers were like 'did that really happen?" Dennard and Gregory are really coming on, and Chung will eventually be heathty again.

As for Rex, I hope that it's not the end for him. He's a good coach, and you don't stay good if you switch coaches often, especially when they are good. Look at the Steelers - 3 coaches since 1970, and while they have had lean years in that time, they are always relevant. Any coach will have a bad year, and while Rex has some blame for this year, for instance, hiring Tony 'Who is afraid of my offence, anyone?' Sparano as his OC, most of his issues have been caused by other factors. Like:

Woody Johnson: Brings in Tebow, and doesn't know when to not talk.
    Mike Tannenbaum: Ignores the weak side of the Jets - the offense - in the offseason.
    Injuries: Losing your only real playmaker on O (Holmes), and the guy your entire defensive scheme is based on (Revis), hurt the Jets. Cromartie has played pretty well, but let's face it - Revis is one of the best players in the NFL. You can't lose someone like that and not expect a drop off.

But, the Jets last 5 games are all winnable. They could get to 9-7, and with the Steelers down to QB #3 - and the Colts not exactly a wildcard lock - they could get in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    @edave: Edleman got a good pop from LaRon Landry (who played very well for the Jets). We ran him on a WR sweep and Landry just blew him up. You could argue helmet to helmet could have been called, but I don't think it was warranted, so I wasn't upset that it was not. He later went to the locker room and didn't return. Possible concussoion, I'd guess.
    Helmet to helmet is not illegal when it's not involving a defenseless player. Edelman was a runner on that play.

As for Rex, I hope that it's not the end for him. He's a good coach, and you don't stay good if you switch coaches often, especially when they are good. Look at the Steelers - 3 coaches since 1970, and while they have had lean years in that time, they are always relevant. Any coach will have a bad year, and while Rex has some blame for this year, for instance, hiring Tony 'Who is afraid of my offence, anyone?' Sparano as his OC, most of his issues have been caused by other factors. Like:

Woody Johnson: Brings in Tebow, and doesn't know when to not talk.
    Mike Tannenbaum: Ignores the weak side of the Jets - the offense - in the offseason.
    Injuries: Losing your only real playmaker on O (Holmes), and the guy your entire defensive scheme is based on (Revis), hurt the Jets. Cromartie has played pretty well, but let's face it - Revis is one of the best players in the NFL. You can't lose someone like that and not expect a drop off.
    I agree 100% that it's not all Rex's fault. However, the arrogance that he displayed during the behind-the-scenes meetings in Hard Knocks, along with the total arrogance of Tannenbaum is part of the problem. Coaches should be a bit arrogant, and I love his confidence in press conferences, and on the sideline, but he needs to be reigned in a bit when not in the public eye. Tannenbaum and Johnson have been enablers in this regard, mostly due to their own arrogance and alternate sense of reality. If Rex were in a situation where the leadership of the organization could reign him in a bit, I think he could have a lot of success.

But, the Jets last 5 games are all winnable. They could get to 9-7, and with the Steelers down to QB #3 - and the Colts not exactly a wildcard lock - they could get in.
    No chance. The Jets aren't any good, and should be considered an irrelevant team at this point. And the Steelers aren't finishing 8-8 this year, which is what it would take in that hypothetical scenario.

Guarantee (at the risk of sounding again like an overly sensitive Steelers fan)- reports of the Steelers demise has been greatly exaggerated. They're winning nothing come playoff time with Charlie Batch under center. They'll get in even with Batch under center, but they wouldn't win anything once they get there. But if doctors are giving Ben 2 more weeks, and he's able to come back healthy for the stretch run, Pittsburgh could easily make a run similar to what the Giants, Packers, and Steelers have made in recent seasons.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Edellman also lowered his head more than Landry did. Not gonna flag or likely even fine that one, as much as I think Landry belongs on the shortbus out of town with Suh.

I'm astonished that Landry's Achilles is holding up. I thought he was done.

Blog Entries
    @Trumpet: I happen to agree with you. I think the Steelers get the 6 seed. I was just pointing out that the Jets are not done yet. They do have a tiny chance to make the playoffs.

Also, general update:

Current playoff seeding 3. Same path as last week (home vs Pitt, @Baltimore, then the winner of Colts/Texans). Yes, I think that Luck wins the battle of old vs new Indy QBs if they meed in the WC round. Also, I'm not predicting Pat wins, just the path they'd have to take to get to New Orleans.