Thread: Will UCLA flop?

Blog Entries

Will UCLA flop?

UCLA is in an interesting position. If they lose to Stanford, they see Stanford next week. If they beat Stanford, UCLA sees Oregon next week for the Pac12 Championship.

I have heard comments that UCLA might play vanilla playbook, lessening the chances UCLA wins. And keeping Stanford from seeing the good stuff.

Might UCLA flop here to get Stanford instead of Oregon?

Blog Entries
    I understand what you're saying, but when teams try to get cute like this, the plan usually backfires. Try to eliminate Stanford. Of course, if Oregon State upsets Oregon (which could happen in Corvallis), UCLA gets Stanford anyway. You're getting Stanford's best shot (so, it's even at least), because there's no guarantee they'll make it if they don't win. If UCLA and Oregon State win, though, the Bruins get to make Stanford come to Pasadena again (rather than visit the North Champion, as they currently would), I believe, because they'll both be 7-2 in conference and win a tiebreaker by virtue of a head-to-head win.
    Last edited by mkocs6; 11-23-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    @kocsan

There are a handful of coaches who think like that. Looking for the shortcut, taking the easy way, of somewhat dubious character.

Jim Mora is one of them.

That being said, he's already been spanked by the Pac 12 once this season. If he tanks the game, it will get out. Students -- heck, people in general -- are like that. And the Pac 12 would take dim view of it.

So if he does choose to tank it, it will be in a very subtle way. And anyway, what makes Oregon such an attractive opponent?

Blog Entries
    Well, if he tanks, the assumption would be that this is a strategy to avoid Oregon and play Stanford, which I guess could considered a better or at least more conventional matchup.
    @kocsan

Oops, gotcha.