Thread: Clowns Epic Fail

Thumbs down Clowns Epic Fail

The team on the north coast has great, dedicated fans.
    But what in the Wide Wide World of Sports was the front office thinking?
    From PFT:

Browns scrap white flag promotion

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 24, 2012, 5:10 PM EST

AP
    It sounded like a story from The Onion: The Browns said this week that they would hand out white flags for the fans at Cleveland Browns Stadium to wave during Sunday’s game against the Steelers.

Now the team has scrapped the idea.

In a statement released by a team spokesman, the Browns said on Saturday that they were no longer going to ask their fans to wave the white flag.

“After further and careful consideration, we felt it was in the best interests of everyone involved that we not have a giveaway item at tomorrow’s game,” the statement said. “It is something that was intended to be fun for our fans and that they could rally around, and we regret that some didn’t perceive it that way. We want to thank all of our fans for their tremendous support and we look forward to seeing them out in force at the stadium tomorrow.”

It’s surprising that the Browns didn’t anticipate that some fans would perceive waving white flags as a symbol of surrender. It’s fine that the Browns wanted to counter all the Terrible Towels that Steelers fans would be waving, but white flags aren’t exactly the kind of look you want if you’re trying to convince fans that you haven’t given up on the season. The Browns were wise to scrap this idea.

Blog Entries
    Orange, you know, might have worked out okay.

@kocsan

I didn't want to say anything for fear of seeming to pile on from my glass house a little to the east, but wow. Is it ok to be so dedicated to football that you are familiar with none of the cultural benchmarks that exist in this country today? Oh wait, waving the white flag is a global benchmark. Sorry, guys, that has to hurt.

I read that story earlier, but I thought that the white flags where kind of a self-deprecating joke. They really didn't equate white flags with surrender? Amazing.

A nice sewage brown would have done the trick. And what do they do with the tens of thousands of towels they no longer want?

Considering their record cry in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    And what do they do with the tens of thousands of towels they no longer want?

I'll admit before today I never knew how much in common Cleveland had with France's military.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I read that story earlier, but I thought that the white flags where kind of a self-deprecating joke. They really didn't equate white flags with surrender? Amazing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrzzerBwler View Post
    I'll admit before today I never knew how much in common Cleveland had with France's military.
    The new giveaway is a stylish beret, a pack of smokes, and a lovely Camembert.

For the record, we must consider the French more advanced than the Browns front office, as I believe they have actually connected white flags and surrender. Nevertheless, behold our new fight song in Cleveland:

(Yes, Buckeye fans, there are words.)
    Last edited by mkocs6; 11-25-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by FrzzerBwler View Post
    Between 1914 and 1918, around 1.7 million Frenchmen died defending their country. That represented about 4% of the country's total population. It devastated a generation. It's twice as many deaths as Great Britain suffered.

I think they're owed some respect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Between 1914 and 1918, around 1.7 million Frenchmen died defending their country. That represented about 4% of the country's total population. It devastated a generation. It's twice as many deaths as Great Britain suffered.

I think they're owed some respect.
    I quite agree--and I think that I've illustrated my respect for the people who fought the First World War whenever it's come up. You must admit, however, that my use of the Camembert was a nice touch.
    Last edited by mkocs6; 11-25-2012 at 03:03 AM.
    @kocsan