Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adderall - A Smoke Screen

Adderall - A Smoke Screen

While I wouldn't ordinarily cite him as an expert in matters regarding the nFL (as entertaining as he is), Cousin Sal on the Simmons podcast made a point that opened my eyes.

he claimed that since the NFL is not allowed to disclose what substances get a particular player suspended, the players are now claiming that they were nailed for Adderall as it sounds better than admitting to have been caught using a P.E.D.

If true, this explains a lot...
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    This is a reasonable idea, except I am pretty sure that for all of the players hit by the recent wave of suspensions for Adderall, it was disclosed that they tested positive for some sort of amphetamine.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Not sure if this is related, but I heard Walter White was seen in Seattle last week.

Column in USA Today states same thing, seems players think stigma of Adderall not as bad as 'roids.
    Something I've heard but often is not mentioned in column, and don't know if true.
    Adderall will mask PED's in a urine test.

This came up when Aqib Talib said his positive result was for Adderall. Soon as a couple guys got nailed for it and faced no apparent backlash in the public eye, it was destined to be the mea culpa of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by FrzzerBwler View Post
    Adderall will mask PED's in a urine test.
    Ah, I didn't know that. Interesting.

I know I'm likely to regret it but here goes...
    There is no proof that it's a masking agent. Star Caps if you remember contained Bumex which was a strong diuretic. It's greatly dilutes metabolites of steroids which is why it was a masking agent. Now it can be tested for. Adderall is used as a cutter (diuretic), it could help to flush some of the short life steroids, but it's weak in comparison to Bumetanide. If Bumex was banned, it is a diuretic. Adderall is a diuretic. I don't have the NFL's ban list but I am willing to bet ALL diuretics are banned.

The NFL has privacy concerning players wellness. They do not tell the media what the players test results were, other than he violated policy. Either there are leaks, or the players are just using Adderall as an excuse.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

wax I wasn't clear in my typing, I've heard it can mask, but am not positive about that.
    Curtis mentions that the league does not disclose what a player test positive for, as it cannot per the CBA. Players use that to their advantage since if they what they claim they tested positive for is a lie, the league cannot say if they are lying or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Ah, I didn't know that. Interesting.

Here is the official Banned Substance List

Adderall is correctly listed under Stimulants.
    Bumetanide is listed correctly as a Masking Agent/Diuretic.

Here's the rub. Under that section is a line that states; and related substances. Since Adderall is a stimulant with diuretic properties, it can be misconstrued very easily as a masking agent.

Most of those listed under the diuretics section are powerful loop diuretics. In simple terms you will pee like a race horse. Adderall makes you pee like coffee does.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Here is the official Banned Substance List

Adderall is correctly listed under Stimulants.
    Bumetanide is listed correctly as a Masking Agent/Diuretic.

Here's the rub. Under that section is a line that states; and related substances. Since Adderall is a stimulant with diuretic properties, it can be misconstrued very easily as a masking agent.

Most of those listed under the diuretics section are powerful loop diuretics. In simple terms you will pee like a race horse. Adderall makes you pee like coffee does.

Obviously the NFL uses the enhanced urine test that takes into account dilution of the sample. Diuretics, combined with lots of water intake will fool most employers drug tests. They don't pay for the dilute test. It's much more expensive (3 times more) . My company uses the dilute test. Pure water urine, like Curtis spoke of, has no metabolites in it, no trace of anything.. you can easily cheat that test if they don't test for dilution.

It's also why no one outside fast food places and companies who don't care about drug use,.use it. They do so to say they "drug test". Most don't know what that means.. these idiot football players sure as hell don't. The NFL uses the top tier test, one you can't hide from. All of these fools claiming adderall use are only doing so for reasons listed prior to my post. It's an easy out. Cowards..

It's also not a performance enhancer. It won't make you faster, stronger, or smarter. It only makes you more alert if you're sleepy. Considering it's their JOB to play football, they shouldn't be. Just my opinion, but it's only on the list for its diuretic properties..

Maybe it's just me, but I think if the suspended players feed us bs, the league should be able to release the REAL report.. none of these guys got caught for adderal.. it was juice and weed.. we all know better. Stupid is as stupid does..
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.