Thread: IS The NCAA The Sleaziest ORganization In Sports?

IS The NCAA The Sleaziest ORganization In Sports?

Grand Canyon University joins the W.A.C.

Check out the story of this fine institution of higher learning: http://deadspin.com/5963972/grand-ca...on-i-athletics

The bulk of its business is in correspondence learning. The school boasts a 24% graduation rate and has been sued by the Department of Education.

From Deadspin:
    Why would the WAC allow the GCU Antelopes—"'Lopes" to their friends—into its conference? Desperation, most likely. The WAC has been decimated by conference realignment, dropping out of football entirely. So what's not to like about a university that boasts a massive student body and spent $9.5 million on its athletics programs last year?
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Is the NCAA the sleaziest organization in sports? With the downturns taken by boxing and horse racing in the last two decades, hellz yeah.

On the plus side, their logo is borderline satanic with its resemblance to a steroid-abusing goat more than any deer smaller than an elk I have ever seen, with a cartoonish feel:

I'd also like to point out that Grand Canyon University is more than 100 miles from the canyon itself.

Sort of like a team in Fresno calling itself "Pacific Coast University."

But at least they named their teams after Dodger great Davey Lopes. He was cool.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

It's definitely an embarrassment. But the NCAA seems to be beyond embarrassment, beyond appreciating their hypocrisy. Nothing will change.