Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Honey Badger

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Hills, California
    Posts
    2,187

    Honey Badger

    Well it looks like he is going into the draft this year. Clearly he hurt his stock with his problems at LSU. Does anyone think that a team will draft him? It might be worth spending a 6th or 7th round pick on him. But I can't imagine spending anything higher on him.

  2. #2
    If Janoris Jenkins can be picked so high, he can get a job somewhere.

    It won't be nearly as high or may not get drafted, but he will get a chance. Pundits who were willing to talk honestly talked about how Claiborne helped him and how his actual cover skills weren't that great. I could like him as a FS, but not at his size. I see a tougher road for him.

  3. #3
       
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,544
    I agree that someone will give him a shot. He's an idiot, tho, getting busted for pot even after getting kicked out of school. That's going to shorten the list of suitors even more.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Hills, California
    Posts
    2,187
    I don't doubt he will get a shot. I'm just curious if he will get drafted or if he will have to come in as a rookie FA.

  5. #5
       
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,177
    Doesn't this discussion presuppose that he's not going to jail/prison for the existing charges?

  6. #6
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,710
    Blog Entries
    4
    He's definitely an interesting case. Not only does he come with tons of baggage now regarding conduct off of the field, he misses the entire 2012 season without playing a single snap anywhere. This is without even mentioning that coming into the 2012 season he was certainly not being viewed as a first round pick. He was a Day 2 pick on the fringe between the second and third round with concerns about his size and exactly what position he would play.

    In all likelihood he will be asked to play free safety in the NFL, where his ball skills and aggressiveness will be more beneficial than they would be at corner. But even with the position switch, there will be concerns about his size. You can get away with it in college where sometimes raw athletic prowess is enough to compensate, but that doesn't work at the next level. If you were looking for a best-case scenario with Mathieu though it might be a guy like Antoine Winfield, except that Mathieu doesn't have the real skills in coverage that Winfield does. In terms of small stature and physicality it works though.

    Considering all of the red flags that Janoris Jenkins carried with him, and he only dropped about one round because of it, I would have a hard time foreseeing Mathieu going undrafted. However, in this case you also have to factor in the fact that he hasn't played at all since last year. I would project him to go somewhere in the sixth or seventh round, but if you asked me, the risk of bringing him on board becomes so minimal at about round five that I would feel comfortable taking him there.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    However, in this case you also have to factor in the fact that he hasn't played at all since last year. I would project him to go somewhere in the sixth or seventh round, but if you asked me, the risk of bringing him on board becomes so minimal at about round five that I would feel comfortable taking him there.
    Austin, Quinn, and Carter were all suspended for an entire season, and they all got drafted somewhere in the first 2 rounds. As long as Mathieu stays in shape, I don't think they'll look down on him for that.
    Last edited by Docta; 11-29-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

  8. #8
       
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    Austin, Quinn, and Carter were all suspended for an entire season, and they all got drafted somewhere in the first 2 rounds. As long as Mathieu stays in shape, I don't think they'll look down on him for that.
    They were suspended for quite different reasons, and Mathieu got caught for the same thing that got him suspended, while he was suspended. Add to that Mathieu got kicked off the squad the second time he got caught for weed (or the artificial parallel). He's a 3 time loser for weed. A 3 time loser who was given a life raft. Simply behave yourself for a year, and next year you're back on the team. He couldn't because he's a weak willed moron, who let the trappings of his hangers on get the better of him.

    Teams won't look past that. They aren't giving him big money. If you give a moron money who has a weak will and panders to his "posse", that's huge trouble. If he gets drafted its going to be 6th or 7th rd, unless a dumb organization grabs him prior. His ability to assimilate to the NFL is iffy to begin with, given his size and position issues mixed with his limited collegiate experience. Just as a player its a gamble. Add in the ENORMOUS character issues, and its a grenade with a pulled pin, spinning on the table. Everyone watching it spin, waiting for it to stop and explode.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    They were suspended for quite different reasons, and Mathieu got caught for the same thing that got him suspended, while he was suspended. Add to that Mathieu got kicked off the squad the second time he got caught for weed (or the artificial parallel). He's a 3 time loser for weed. A 3 time loser who was given a life raft. Simply behave yourself for a year, and next year you're back on the team. He couldn't because he's a weak willed moron, who let the trappings of his hangers on get the better of him.

    Teams won't look past that. They aren't giving him big money. If you give a moron money who has a weak will and panders to his "posse", that's huge trouble. If he gets drafted its going to be 6th or 7th rd, unless a dumb organization grabs him prior. His ability to assimilate to the NFL is iffy to begin with, given his size and position issues mixed with his limited collegiate experience. Just as a player its a gamble. Add in the ENORMOUS character issues, and its a grenade with a pulled pin, spinning on the table. Everyone watching it spin, waiting for it to stop and explode.
    Read what I quoted. I was talking about how he hasn't played in a whole year. If the UNC guys went on a Twinkie bulk during their suspension, then they wouldn't be drafted as high, but they were all in great shape.

    If he impresses at offseason work outs and the combine, he'll get drafted above the 6th. As long as they can surround him with good people, he won't get into as much trouble.
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •