View Poll Results: Who Will Win The Heisman?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnny Manziel

5 62.50%
  • Manti Te'o

0 0%
  • Collin Klein

3 37.50%
  • Braxton Miller

0 0%
  • Marquis Lee

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Wins the Heisman this year?

Who Wins the Heisman this year?

Could we be seeing history? The front-runners are a freshman and a linebacker, neither of which have ever won a Heisman before. Could it happen this year?

(poll choices based on ESPN's top five candidates)

Blog Entries
    The top 5 seems pretty safe to me, but I think a Manziel victory is pretty much inevitable at this point. I don't even think a Klein masterpiece on Saturday night against Texas would do anything more than lock up 2nd place for him.

By the way, T'eo has been very good, but it really speaks to how weak the top players are this year compared with past years that he and Manziel are the top 2 at this point. There should be no reason that T'eo has a better shot at a Heisman than James Laurinaitis, LaVar Arrington, and Brian Urlacher ever did. Is he even better than Luke Kuechly?
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

I think Manziel deserves it, but I think there are too many fuddy duddy old time sportswriters who won't give it to him because he is a freshmen. Similar reason why I don't think Te'o will get it. So that's why I voted for Klein. He has had a remarkable year. K State would be nowhere without him. But if I had a ballot, it would definitely be Manziel #1.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
    I think Manziel deserves it, but I think there are too many fuddy duddy old time sportswriters who won't give it to him because he is a freshmen. Similar reason why I don't think Te'o will get it. So that's why I voted for Klein. He has had a remarkable year. K State would be nowhere without him. But if I had a ballot, it would definitely be Manziel #1.
    I wasn't thinking about the fuddy duddy angle, which is a complete fail on my part. That probably helps explain why Ara Parseghian finished top 5 in the coach of the year voting.

Seriously, who are the worse fuddy duddies? College football writers or MLB writers?
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

I don't think there's going to be a strong enough alternate candidate to allow for any fuddy-duddy.

MLB Writers are far worse. Some of them think in tradition, and are against any baseball progress whatsoever. They are part of the traditional crowd in baseball that is against things like instant replay, designated hitter, and interleague play. And the type of people that are ruining baseball.

Bengals, I think there will be writers that will try to find an alternate candidate for both Te'o and Manziel. I don't think Te'o should get the Heisman. As Trumpet points out, there have been defensive players with similar or better seasons that didn't get it. People wil find a way to discount Manziel's season. And while I think he is deserving of the Heisman, I don't think his performance has been so dominant that you can't find a way to choose someone else.

They're going to look awfully silly picking someone other than Johnny Football. No other player in the game has been as consistently good or as important to his team.

On a personal level, a guy that young winning the trophy might not be a good thing. It could go to his head, make him a bad pro, turn him into a Vince Young, that sort of thing.

But in terms of pure football, there really isn't a standout second choice.

Blog Entries
    Am I the only one left who doesn't like the idea of Manziel as Heisman winner? Look at all his numbers and compare them to his contemporaries throughout the NCAA, they aren't that stellar. I'd give it to Te'o or Lee ahead of Manziel.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    Am I the only one left who doesn't like the idea of Manziel as Heisman winner? Look at all his numbers and compare them to his contemporaries throughout the NCAA, they aren't that stellar. I'd give it to Te'o or Lee ahead of Manziel.
    Did you think Tebow and Newton deserved the Heismans the years they won it? Because Manziel has better numbers than Newton and Tebow.

Manziel is in the SEC, which are known for their defenses. So he's working with that handicap, which actually enhances his numbers more.

Whose numbers should we compared Manziel with to show that he wasn't that Stellar? I find what Te'o's numbers to be good, but not stellar. His value to Notre Dame is more from a leadership standpoin. I just don't see how you can give him the Heisman.

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    how so? He has nearly 1500 more all-purpose yards than Collin Klein and 9 more TD's. also completing 68% of his passes.