Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowl games thread

Bowl games thread

Pretty dismal BCS bowl lineup. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come when the playoff arrives.

Other than the title game, the most interesting match-up is Kansas State-Oregon. Really curios to see if KS can keep up.

I don't find Florida-Louisville, FSU-Northern Illinois, Stanford-Wisconsin very thrilling.

In other bowl games, Georgia gets Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl. That's pretty interesting. So is Texas A&M-Oklahoma (should be a low-scoring game eh?)

The reality of USC's season hits home: a bowl game against 6-7 Georgia Tech. How the mighty have fallen. LSU-Clemson might be worth a gander, to see if the ACC can hang with the SEC. Every year people talk about Clemson's loads of talent, every year they disappoint. The last one I can see that might have promise is Oregon State-Texas, but Texas isn't all that good.

Blog Entries
    This is a function of Conference Championships. Lesser teams getting to the Bowls. I expect the contract bowls to be lame other than the playoffs. The invitationals might get better games.

Blog Entries
    And as always, other than the NC, of the rest of the bowl games, the most exciting game is ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    Michigan and South Carolina could be interesting, potentially, if Denard Robinson is healthy. I'm not saying this as a fan who thinks Ohio State is great--they're a decent team, but by no means great this year--but the bowl season misses the Buckeyes and the Nittany Lions. The Big Ten has some big New Year's Day tie-ins, and the fact that those two programs are completely off the table makes a few of the games tough. If we assume Ohio State would have won the Big Ten title, that gives us Stanford--Ohio State, which I think is more interesting. I'm not sure where Penn State would fit, but it would also shake things up. (Obviously, Ohio State is not eligible because of its own stupidity, I'm just saying the BCS lineup looks better this year if they're involved.)

I'm interested to see if Northern Illinois can hang with Florida State. The MAC was pretty good this year, and Florida State has a bad habit of letting teams hang around--it will be tough with their coach out of town and heading to NC State, though.

Baylor--UCLA in the Holiday Bowl could be interesting. Boise St.--Washington in Las Vegas may not be bad. Kent St.--Arkansas St. matches 10-2 teams, if you can get over all of the horrible Godaddy.com commercials you'll have to watch in their sponsored event. I'm personally interested in Texas Tech--Minnesota, but I'm guessing that the Red Raiders will blow out the Golden Gophers.

I think you've identified all of the other potentially interesting games, though, and you're right that apart from the top of the ticket the BCS isn't overwhelming this year. Oregon--K-St. has the added dimension of the Wildcats originally having the Ducks on the schedule this year, but backing out of the date. I was thinking that would be a fun national title, so I'm glad we get to see it in the Fiesta Bowl instead.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    This is a function of Conference Championships. Lesser teams getting to the Bowls.
    That's what worries me about the playoff, when it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Michigan and South Carolina could be interesting, potentially, if Denard Robinson is healthy. I'm not saying this as a fan who thinks Ohio State is great--they're a decent team, but by no means great this year--but the bowl season misses the Buckeyes and the Nittany Lions. The Big Ten has some big New Year's Day tie-ins, and the fact that those two programs are completely off the table makes a few of the games tough. If we assume Ohio State would have won the Big Ten title, that gives us Stanford--Ohio State, which I think is more interesting. I'm not sure where Penn State would fit, but it would also shake things up. (Obviously, Ohio State is not eligible because of its own stupidity, I'm just saying the BCS lineup looks better this year if they're involved.)
    I agree that Ohio State is missed and that Stanford-tOSU would have been a very compelling match. Not so sure about PSU, tho.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    I agree that Ohio State is missed and that Stanford-tOSU would have been a very compelling match. Not so sure about PSU, tho.
    In terms of the quality of the team, Penn State is not as compelling as Ohio State certainly. That said, an historic program visiting a down-ticket bowl game sometimes makes that game a bit more interesting. Penn State and Oklahoma State in the Heart of Texas Bowl, for instance, might make me flip to it to see what's going on, but Purdue--Oklahoma St. not so much. That's all.
    @kocsan

hopefully wisconsin plays like they did Saturday and not like the team who had the 6th best conference record in the Big Ten.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    hopefully wisconsin plays like they did Saturday and not like the team who had the 6th best conference record in the Big Ten.
    I think Nebraska would probably get just as killed by Stanford as Wisconsin will.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Pretty dismal BCS bowl lineup. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come when the playoff arrives.

Other than the title game, the most interesting match-up is Kansas State-Oregon. Really curios to see if KS can keep up.

I don't find Florida-Louisville, FSU-Northern Illinois, Stanford-Wisconsin very thrilling.

In other bowl games, Georgia gets Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl. That's pretty interesting. So is Texas A&M-Oklahoma (should be a low-scoring game eh?)

The reality of USC's season hits home: a bowl game against 6-7 Georgia Tech. How the mighty have fallen. LSU-Clemson might be worth a gander, to see if the ACC can hang with the SEC. Every year people talk about Clemson's loads of talent, every year they disappoint. The last one I can see that might have promise is Oregon State-Texas, but Texas isn't all that good.
    The ACC got demolished this year against the SEC in regular season play. They clearly are not even close to the SEC.