Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Costas on SNF and Whitlock

Blog Entries

Costas on SNF and Whitlock

The internet is all aTwitter with the response to Costas reading Whitlock's article.

I have a few opinions, but first let me say that Guns is an issue where almost everyone has an established opinion. It is an issue with lots of people on both sides, and across the spectrum. It is a reasonable issue to discuss. One side isn't stupid and the other side smart.

My reactions to Costas was 3 fold:

1) It would be nice to hear an opinion from NYC Big Media that is not homogeneous.

2) What I think Whitlock meant and what I think Costas meant seem to me to be two different meanings. When Whitlock says "Gun Culture" I get the feeling he is talking about young men, especially athletes, having handguns, carrying them in the car or person, as if a toy, or jewelry. When Costas says "Gun Culture" I get the feeling he is talking about all guns, including the middle-aged husband in suburbia with a gun at home for self-protection, the CCW issue, hunting, et al, the broader base that Costas would change with "Gun Control". I think Costas believes that there is a solution to Costas' "Gun Culture" and it is more laws. I am not sure Whitlock believes the solution for the "Gun Culture" Whitlock is talking about is more laws. I am not sure Whitlock believes there is a solution.

3) The normal reaction I have to Gun Control. That is one side believe laws=no possession, the other side doesn't, thus they both do the Cost Benefit Analysis and arrive at different conclusions.

I think the most interesting reaction is #2. What's your reaction?
    Last edited by darvon; 12-03-2012 at 11:09 AM.

I said it in chat last night. Regardless of one's opinion on, or solution to, gun control, I found that piece by Costas to be incredibly offensive, inappropriate and sanctimonious. Whitlock I can choose to ignore to read (but I don't), but for Costas to hold a national audience hostage during SNF and preach like that made me livid. I hope NBC wises up and holds him accountable. That was crass and exploitive and had no place during the broadcast. Stick to friggin' football!

/rant off/
    Some people think the name of the Washington Redskins football team is offensive. There’s an easy way to fix that. You can just drop the word ‘Washington.’ ~ Ted Cruz

Blog Entries
    B,

That is the reaction of many in the social media verse. It is not mine. Costas has been entertaining for many years at a high level so he has some coin.

He spent some last night, but probably not in his bosses eyes. Or maybe the reaction storm will have an effect.

Blog Entries
    I went and read Whitlock's full piece and rescind #2. Whitlock and Costas believe the same thing. Although I note that 2/3 of Whitlock's full piece is a criticism of Goodell for holding the game, which of course, was not read.

I have learned that certain football games are not worth my time so I just watched Costas' editorial now.

True, he used his position as a commentator on a football game to make statements regarding guns, and that may be somewhat inappropriate. However, I agree with ever syllable that he uttered.

I also agree with Darvon's point about Whitlock: perhaps there is at this late date no solution available to this problem. But as a Canadian, I am coming from this issue from a completely different perspective. I live in a country where people marvel at the fact that guns are so easily available in the USA. But I also know that as an outsider, my opinions don't matter.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    I went and read Whitlock's full piece and rescind #2. Whitlock and Costas believe the same thing. Although I note that 2/3 of Whitlock's full piece is a criticism of Goodell for holding the game, which of course, was not read.
    I read Whitlock's article and I don't see where he is necessary holding Goodell accountable, although I know he is not a big fan of Goodell. The decision to hold the game was left up to the Chiefs, although I think it should have been left up to the Chief players. But that's a different story.

I am someone who believes in more gun control laws. But looking at this situation and using it as a justification for more gun control laws is just stupid. You want to advocate for more gun control laws, then point to the numbers overall. But living in a free society has costs. So as Darvon mentions above, where you are on gun control laws is a cost-benefit analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
    I read Whitlock's article and I don't see where he is necessary holding Goodell accountable, although I know he is not a big fan of Goodell. The decision to hold the game was left up to the Chiefs, although I think it should have been left up to the Chief players. But that's a different story.

I am someone who believes in more gun control laws. But looking at this situation and using it as a justification for more gun control laws is just stupid. You want to advocate for more gun control laws, then point to the numbers overall. But living in a free society has costs. So as Darvon mentions above, where you are on gun control laws is a cost-benefit analysis.
    Playing the game was left up to the Chiefs players. The team captains met with Romeo and the captains said all the players wanted to play the game.

As far as guns are concerned, I believe that hunting rifles and shotguns are fine for sportsmen. As long as they are used safely and kept clean and locked up. Assault weapons and handguns should be more strictly controlled or banned for private citizens. The excuses of having a gun for home safety is BS. I don;t own a gun, I have baseball bats, an alarm system and 2 dogs.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

Blog Entries
    I did not see the Costas speech last night, I was watching Food Network instead of two bad teams. But, ever since SNF went to NBC, and he went to that halftime slot, Costas has consistently been a jerk in his halftime talks. So, I'm not shocked, at all, he set twitter off. He used to be one of my fave people to listen too, more often than not, now, I mute him.
    "Amy is happily drinking the tears of Broncos fans." Giantsfan97.

They should have just played Brady Quinn's bit. I think it's offensive on the level of: a young man took his life and the life of an innocent young woman. This isn't the platform to push your agenda (even if it wasn't Costas' opinion). It's disrespectful to the families involved. I see this a lot recently like the Tyler Clemente case at RU where a homosexual individual was bullied and ended up taking his life. Gay rights groups took it as an opportunity to progress their movement rather than take a minute to reflect on why such an ambitious, talented young man want to throw everything away. Always quick to jump on the political bandwagon.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I did not see the Costas speech last night, I was watching Food Network instead of two bad teams. But, ever since SNF went to NBC, and he went to that halftime slot, Costas has consistently been a jerk in his halftime talks. So, I'm not shocked, at all, he set twitter off. He used to be one of my fave people to listen too, more often than not, now, I mute him.
    Yeah, I used to not really like Al and Cris (I think that was more because I was so used to Madden) but they've grown on me and Costas has just taken a free fall.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010